Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 AM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw2009 View Post
Let me start off by saying I'm mostly liberal. Believe in gay rights, sustainability, etc. but one thing I don't believe in is taking guns from citizens who have no criminal history.

I want to ask everyone on this board a serious question in a scenario form.

You in a major city (let's say St.Louis) and you are leaving a store and it is 7:30 p.m. (not quite dark yet).

As you are leaving and walking down the street, three men, all of whom are taller and more athletic than you, approach you and tell you they are going to beat you and kill you. What, without a gun, are you suppose to do?

Yell for help? Likely, they will rush you close your mouth and furiously beat you before anyone can arrive.
Call the police? Yeah, you'll be dead before they arrive.
Run? Faster than 3 men who are all taller and in better shape?
Fight back? More than likely, that's not going to work out.

So what do you do? You're a honest citizen, not doing anything wrong, not out at 2:00am, just trying to get home to your family after picking some food up. Without a gun, you have no chance in this scenario. You could end up brain dead or dead completely.

So anti-gun activists, what do you do?

What if your 5 year old is with you? You're not even in the wrong part of town.

If it were me, I'd pull out my legal handgun and point it in their face and call the police. My child and I would be safe and help get 3 punks of the street.
Maybe instead of violence, just talk with them. Explain to them that by beating the crap out of you or killing you they are setting a bad example for your 5 year old son. Ask them if they've been hugged lately. Maybe give some hugs out. Offer them to join you for dinner or something. If all that doesn't work, just take the beating, after all you asked for it by being there and spending your money in that store. Did you happen to think these poor souls were unemployed and in between welfare checks ? How dare you throw your money around like that. And oh my , you would actually pull a deadly weapone of mass destruction out and point it at the helpless, starving individuals ?!? Shame on you, and in front of your child even. CPS should be notified ! And you deserve whatever you get your horrible person !

Okay , I just wanted to try to see what it's like being a sheeple. How did I do ?
OP, I would do just as you. First off try everything I could to get out of the situation. Then if all else fails do what you have to do to protect your child and yourself.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM

3,423 posts, read 3,212,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Not if you follow gun safety in your home.
The mere fact of having a gun in your home increases your risk.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
As an Adult, I assume that risk. Just like having a swimming pool, trampoline and driving a car on a dangerous highway.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Here are a couple of questions I'd like all gun owners to ask themselves. Why was it safer when there were FEWER guns? Why was it safer BEFORE we turned on a gazillion candles of artificial lighting outside every night?
You do know that gun ownership is sky high and murder is at an all time low ?

Ever since legal gun owners expanded the murder rate started to drop.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As an Adult, I assume that risk. Just like having a swimming pool, trampoline and driving a car on a dangerous highway.
As an adult, I DON'T assume the risk you place on society by owning your gun. That's on you. And because it is on you, it is also on you to prove to society that owning your gun doesn't put me and my children at risk. That's why we need the strictest background checks, bans on automatic weapons armor-piercing bullets, and more comprehensive mental healthcare. And Rakin, pools, trampolines, and cars, are not designed to kill. Guns are. False analogy, dude.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
You asked for everyones thoughts on this and when someone responds with a legitimate concern, you call their reply "baseless & ignorant". So you really only want answers that agree with you?

Not all guns are keep in a combination vault at home. Change scenario, your home in bed, same three guys pull a home invasion on your house, your gun is in combination vault, what do you do?

And no baseless and ignorant answers allowed!
By the time someone begins to invade my home my alarm is already going off, if that doesn't scare them away it's at least given me all the time I need to have my biometric safe unlocked and my loaded self defense weapon in my hand. At the same time my wife is already on her way to our children's room to shelter in place while I guard the top of our stairway which is the only way to get to us upstairs. From that vantage point I know who and how many people I'm dealing with so no, I'm not going to shoot my family members by accident. If it's someone I don't know I'm triple tapping every human that isn't upstairs in the house. My wife has already confirmed with me that all of our kids are safe upstairs.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
As an adult, I DON'T assume the risk you place on society by owning your gun. That's on you. And because it is on you, it is also on you to prove to society that owning your gun doesn't put me and my children at risk. That's why we need the strictest background checks, bans on automatic weapons armor-piercing bullets, and more comprehensive mental healthcare. And Rakin, pools, trampolines, and cars, are not designed to kill. Guns are. False analogy, dude.
Me driving reckless on a busy freeway does not place others or my family in jeopardy

You assume no risk of me owning guns. Maybe you need another law that keeps the guns out of gangbangers hands.
Did you see my post that says since gun ownership has gone up, the murder rates have dropped in half ?

Sounds like lawful gun ownership is a great thing.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:33 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
The mere fact that you're breathing right now greatly increases the chances of you dying in the next 100 years.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
I do not need to prove my need for my fundamental enumerated civil right. Period.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You do know that gun ownership is sky high and murder is at an all time low ?

Ever since legal gun owners expanded the murder rate started to drop.

What were the numbers of legal owners in 1900? What was the murder rate in 1900? The fact that the murder rate has dropped hasn't been established to the larger proportion of gun owners than in the past. You have to establish causality. Got anything like that? What we do know is that an increase in guns on the streets in Chicago didn't reduce the number of murders. In fact, the number of guns went down. But what did reduce the number of murders there from nearly 1000 in 1994 to 500 last year is the number of police on the streets and many other ideas borrowed from the City of Los Angeles. But make no mistake, 500 deaths is still completely unacceptable, and so they need to do more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies