Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: as far as civilian ownership
All semi automatic weapons should be banned 12 7.45%
Only semi automatic rifles should be banned 1 0.62%
Only handguns should be banned 1 0.62%
Only hunting rifles/shotguns should remain legal 4 2.48%
keep legality as it is now 47 29.19%
All weapons, including fully automatic should be legal 92 57.14%
All civilian ownership of firearms banned 4 2.48%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Would just like to get an idea on where the bulk of City-Data Members stand on the issue.

Please Explain your vote in the forum
I do not want to see the laws changed. There is no way we can eliminate the wrong people from getting any type of gun they want. If someone wants to kill another person or persons they will find a way. We already know some of the states with the strongest gun control laws have the most crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 07:45 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I do not want to see the laws changed. There is no way we can eliminate the wrong people from getting any type of gun they want. If someone wants to kill another person or persons they will find a way. We already know some of the states with the strongest gun control laws have the most crimes.
I think what is more telling is when you drill down that information to not only the states, but the population of the cities inside the states.

The states with the strictest gun laws show an inconsistent correlation in the rural areas, as their crime rates have been declining on their own. However, in the Urban areas the crime rate is higher in states with more gun restrictions. I really would love if there was some more research done on this to show exactly why this occurs. Comparing state to state seems a flawed method to view the data.

Here in Colorado, we had some broad sweeping gun legislation that made no sense to the people in the rural areas since we don't see a whole lot of gun crime, and very few incidents of gun deaths. However, looking at data from Denver, Colorado Springs and even Grand Junction, I could see where someone may be concerned. Since more population live in those areas of higher crime, even though the rural areas take up most of the land space, they get the results THEY FEEL they need, but that hurt us out here and make no sense at all.

My point to the above remark is why I would lean toward the idea that broad sweeping gun restrictions of any kind can't work the same across the whole of the country.

I do believe that educating gun owners on correct and safe handling of a gun is a goal. However, again... most who have guns in the rural areas have a better likelihood of already that training since the hunter safety training required to hunt does a fine job of teaching weapon safety. Those who buy the handgun to protect themselves in the city very often lack the training or ability to practice.

On the NRA...

Though I am not a member, I believe the NRA has done more to promote gun safety training than any anti-gun lobby or government agency. I know they get a bad rap, but they do serve their community in gun safety and training.

Yeah, they are a huge machine with lots of money, but it's important to remember that they are NOT the government and have only responsibility to serve their supporters' interests, not everyone else. It's strange to see dialogue relative to what the NRA *should* do for the Country. All energies must stay trained on urging our government to serve the people, not on what Lobbyists should do. I think it dilutes the strength of any message.

Imagine Jeantel sending a letter to the AARP Lobbyists telling them they had a responsibility to promote age discrimination on jury selection, stating something along the lines of: "No offense to the the jury, they old, that's old school people. We in a new school, our generation, my generation. So --" (Jeantel).
It would make better sense to make a new lobby for those who share Jeantel's sentiments rather than attempt to convert an opposing lobby.

Or....in my fantasy, we should remove the vote of the lobbyists since they don't seem to serve as anything other that a way to pay for a vote. More money = more influence. It means some votes are more equal than others.

But, I digress...

Good thread, by the way.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,752,379 times
IMHO - any one that owns a gun and does not know how to maintain and use it is a fool.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:54 AM

621 posts, read 1,053,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
IMHO - any one that owns a gun and does not know how to maintain and use it is a fool.
AGREED!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:58 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think that large capacity should be banned, no more then 10 shots between reloads.

I think full auto should remain just as it is now.

But if we trained people thoroughly, I'd be more open to allowing laxer gun regulations. Since no one supports mandatory training in the GOP, let's just keep the laws the same

Old 07-26-2013, 08:29 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,615,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Here's my stance. If certain rights are sacrosanct as we've been told again and again such as abortion, voting without ID, and not even a speck of religion mentioned in any public building, then the 2nd amendment should be equally sacrosanct. Thus, I voted to make all guns legal.
Hmmm....I like it! Simple, yet, satisfying. Since literal interpretation is the modus operendi, it should apply across the board.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:38 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. My Son and daughter in law bought a house in Hayattsville MD. they decided they needed a gun for personal defense and home protection. I sent them a very nice 45ACP to their local gun store for transfer. To my utter shock, they informed me that the NICs check doesn't go to the Feds for background check and approval. It goes to the Maryland State Police and they do further checks prior to submission to the NICs background check and hold up the purchase for 90 days or more.
A most ridiculous situation and totally unconstitutional IMO.
When you have a state totally controlled by liberal dems, it is expected.

One of the reasons why I moved.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:25 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,738,640 times
Repeal the National Firearms Act, The Gun Control Act of 1968, and the Hughes Amendment to the Firearm Owners Protection Act.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:56 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,484,749 times
So 61 people think RPG's should be legal?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,738,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
So 61 people think RPG's should be legal?
Why not? I am a law abiding citizen, why shouldn't I own one? that are get for home defense, taking down trees, making paths, getting rid of beaver dams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies