Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 06:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,321,515 times

Advertisements

It's all about labor costs. Once you hit 30 hours you're considered "full time" and with that comes a host of mandated benefits.

Congress tried to put the hours back to 40 but nothing has passed yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 06:39 PM

10,582 posts, read 9,765,067 times
The purpose of a business, is to earn money.

Not to provide jobs.

If a business can earn more money by hiring 40 workers to work 30-hour weeks, than it can earn by hiring 30 workers to work 40-hour weeks....

Why, exactly, should it not do that?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:25 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet life View Post
You need to study the behavior of CEO's or the power structure in general to understand. They have been cutting hours of employees for the past 3 decades and you haven't noticed. Doing more with less is the mantra in this economy. Your theories that you know so well are irrelevant. Wake up. Oh btw, I didn't vote for Obama so don't put me in that group. I just am not blinded by stats and theories. I am sure you graduated w/ a 4.0 in economics but you suck at life!
Three decades? Wake up. Doing more with less is how societies have progressed since the dawn of time. It is why we went from subsistence farming to mass agriculture, why we went from custom shops to assembly lines, why we went from assembly lines to automated factories. The reason hours are cut today is the same reason people started using the cotton gin instead of picking by hand. Without technological progress society would crumble. We as people need to stop whining about hours being cut and work to build new skills that keep us relevant in a changing world. If 100 years ago a person said "I can't work in Henry Ford's factory, I am a farmer, not a factory worker!", they would be the exact same person that is out in the street protesting against corporations cutting hours, automating systems, etc.

Adapt to a new environment, or get left behind.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:51 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,659,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
Three decades? Wake up. Doing more with less is how societies have progressed since the dawn of time. It is why we went from subsistence farming to mass agriculture, why we went from custom shops to assembly lines, why we went from assembly lines to automated factories. The reason hours are cut today is the same reason people started using the cotton gin instead of picking by hand. Without technological progress society would crumble. We as people need to stop whining about hours being cut and work to build new skills that keep us relevant in a changing world. If 100 years ago a person said "I can't work in Henry Ford's factory, I am a farmer, not a factory worker!", they would be the exact same person that is out in the street protesting against corporations cutting hours, automating systems, etc.

Adapt to a new environment, or get left behind.
WRONG! Companies are not cutting hours and employees due to normal market changes, they are cutting employees to combat new federal regulations due to ObamaCare and new EPA regulations.

A normal change would be due to improvements in the manufacturing process, such as automation, or due to new inventions, such as the automobile causing the market to turn away from the horse and buggy. The changes going on in reducing employees and employee hours are driven by new federal Affordable Health Care regs, not market driven forces. Manufacturing costs are rising due to federal regs driving up energy costs.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Well if it's not the new Obamacare rules on employee hours than what it is ?
Bernanke says he just doesn't know why more p/t jobs are being created rather than f/t jobs.

We do not see the elephant in the room people. We will just deny and scratch our heads looking for some other reason.

I would have more respect for the administration if they just admitted that redefining work hours was a mistake and put it back.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:08 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,181,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
WRONG! Companies are not cutting hours and employees due to normal market changes, they are cutting employees to combat new federal regulations due to ObamaCare and new EPA regulations.

A normal change would be due to improvements in the manufacturing process, such as automation, or due to new inventions, such as the automobile causing the market to turn away from the horse and buggy. The changes going on in reducing employees and employee hours are driven by new federal Affordable Health Care regs, not market driven forces. Manufacturing costs are rising due to federal regs driving up energy costs.
It isn't a 'one or the other' scenario. Obviously companies are cutting hours due to increased regulation, but it is somewhat ignorant to claim they wouldn't be cutting hours anyway. New regulations are increasing the trend without a doubt, but moves to part time, temp workers and offshore workers were already taking place before ACA.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
It isn't a 'one or the other' scenario. Obviously companies are cutting hours due to increased regulation, but it is somewhat ignorant to claim they wouldn't be cutting hours anyway. New regulations are increasing the trend without a doubt, but moves to part time, temp workers and offshore workers were already taking place before ACA.
I agree. This is not only due to Obamacare. But Obamacare did impact jobs that can't be offshored.
These employers can't just offshore to escape the mandates so they have to deal with them locally, which is to cut hours to just below the mandate.

On the bright side though it has created more jobs for people.
Instead of one person working full time you have 2 people working part time.

Something coming in is better than nothing.
And our generous government has laxed restrictions to qualifying for government assistance like SNAP.

So while government imposed rules to make earning a living harder they also gave you SNAP to "ease the pain".
And people won't blame the government at all for creating this mess. They will thank the government for giving them access to welfare programs instead and the government will blame business and the people will follow along.

Old 09-15-2013, 02:55 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,729,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
And the hits keep coming...

Obamacare won't slash workers' hours, report finds - NBC News.com

Watch how right-wingers work themselves into a tizzy trying to spew self-serving nonsense about the source of the data instead of addressing what the data actually indicates.
..WOW! I have no word, my words have failed me.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:05 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,513,301 times
And yet is has already slashed workers' hours. buu lives in denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies