Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,969,904 times

Advertisements

Liberals and muslims upset that pictures of terrorists put up on buses and billboards. Don't want to offend the muslims. Too bad they don't take that same attitude and stop killing folks for allah. I'm sure they will take the lead from the TSA and put up pictures of old ladies and babies who "could" be terrorists and must be searched.

"U.S. Rep. Jim McDermott wrote a letter last week to FBI Director Robert Mueller expressing concern over the ads, saying the ad would “only serve to exacerbate the disturbing trend of hate crimes against Middle Eastern, South Asian and Muslim-Americans.”
“When you start saying that this is the face of terrorism, you are really stigmatizing a whole group of people,” McDermott, D-Seattle, said Tuesday.
King County Metro received a half-dozen complaints through the customer information line, Switzer said.
Lynnwood resident Jeff Siddiqui, the founder of American Muslims of Puget Sound, said he received phone calls from other Muslims in Seattle who said they were concerned for their safety. He said the ad would be similarly objectionable if the government were to post photos of men from another ethnic group on billboards with the tagline “the face of murders in the United States.”
“It is affecting all kinds of people who have no experience with Muslims, who look at it and say, ‘Oh, Muslims are the face of global terrorism,’ ” Siddiqui said.
The 16 men in the ad are affiliated with extremist groups around the world. Seven are from African countries, four are from the Philippines, one each is from Malaysia and Chechnya, and three were born in the United States.
When a bus is whizzing by at 35 mph, McDermott said, it’s difficult to look closely at each photo and see the differences.
“The impression you get is that terrorism is caused by brown-skinned men with beards, and occasionally they wear a turban — which isn’t true,” McDermott said."

FBI’s bus ads taken down over Muslim/terrorist stereotyping | Local News | The Seattle Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 12:35 PM

"Lynnwood resident Jeff Siddiqui, the founder of American Muslims of Puget Sound, said he received phone calls from other Muslims in Seattle who said they were concerned for their safety"

I say Jeff Siddiqui is full of sheet.............

"In Seattle, a total of 12 hate crimes were reported to police in 2011, compared with 15 the year before. Six of the hate crimes in 2011 were motivated by sexual orientation, five were due to racial bias and one based on religion, according to the report."

Sounds like all those libs in seattle have a problem with gays too.

FBI: Hate crimes decrease slightly in U.S., Washington | The Today File | Seattle Times

Old 07-24-2013, 12:39 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,280,108 times
I don't see anything in there about taking them down to avoid offending anyone. It seems the motivation, as per your own citation, was not to exacerbate "the disturbing trend of hate crimes against Middle Eastern, South Asian and Muslim-Americans." It also says they received complaints from people who feared for their safety, not from people who were offended.

The only one I see offended here is you. Would you like a tissue?

Old 07-24-2013, 12:43 PM

I showed you the disturbing trend.............ONE. LOL

Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,959,022 times
There wouldn't be a single complaint from the left if the pictured had been of white males.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:01 PM

“The impression you get is that terrorism is caused by brown-skinned men with beards, and occasionally they wear a turban — which isn’t true,” McDermott said."

Sorry to disagree McDermott but you are full of sheet too.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:03 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,558 times
This is old. Desperate to stay relevant on here?

Why are you so offended by any & all?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:14 PM

Old? So pretend it never happened. The battle cry of the left........well one of many. You didn't blame Bush for this first. Why? You felling ill or something?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:16 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,160,558 times
Why are you so offended by this? You must have me confused with someone else because I can't even remember the last time I mentioned Bush. I notice you posted another old link on another thread. Desperately trying to stay relevant on here?

Old 07-24-2013, 01:17 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,323,955 times
The question to me is why the federal government is spending money to run ads on Seattle metro buses in the first place.

But McDermott's objection is silly. These were actual faces of terroists. Harrier is doubtless right, if they had been white males there would have been no objection. They would have had to be imaginary faces (or actors) since there aren't that many white male terrorists.

And so this is your brain on liberalism: the imaginary is preferred over the reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies