Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:17 PM
 
27,306 posts, read 16,298,149 times
Reputation: 12103

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
In this case, this isn't an issue to be overly concerned with. But to flat out deny humans have no consequence to the climate deserves to be called out.
Call me out.

It hasn't warmed in over 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:18 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,216 posts, read 8,150,291 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
CAGW is a Hypothesis, not a Theory.
CAGW maybe be a hypothesis..... but AGW is most definitively a theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:19 PM
 
27,306 posts, read 16,298,149 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
CAGW maybe be a hypothesis..... but AGW is most definitively a theory.
And not fact.

Get back to me when its fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 PM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,992,560 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
He is going to dismiss your site and demand a peer reviewed paper. There are several out there, start with Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick's paper on MBH98, though keep in mind that if he is diligent (though I am betting he is lazy), he will rebuttal with Mann's re release of the paper, to which there are papers that show it wrong, to which he will then rebuttal with his students paper who published claiming Mann was correct, to which you will also find papers that show them to be incorrect.

This will go on and on, and eventually at the end of the road, numerous papers, and all the evidence, he will dismiss you or your sources, call you a denier or some other stupid attack and proclaim himself vindicated by the power of authority and referencing to some half-arsed 97% paper where not even a first year mathematics student would be associated with.

Point is, you are arguing with a "believer" and he will never accept anything other than complete submission to his belief. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM
 
27,306 posts, read 16,298,149 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
He is going to dismiss your site and demand a peer reviewed paper. There are several out there, start with Steve McIntyre and Ross McKitrick's paper on MBH98, though keep in mind that if he is diligent (though I am betting he is lazy), he will rebuttal with Mann's re release of the paper, to which there are papers that show it wrong, to which he will then rebuttal with his students paper who published claiming Mann was correct, to which you will also find papers that show them to be incorrect.

This will go on and on, and eventually at the end of the road, numerous papers, and all the evidence, he will dismiss you or your sources, call you a denier or some other stupid attack and proclaim himself vindicated by the power of authority and referencing to some half-arsed 97% paper where not even a first year mathematics student would be associated with.

Point is, you are arguing with a "believer" and he will never accept anything other than complete submission to his belief. /shrug
I do it because I know I am right and it drives the acolytes to the Church of AGW nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,216 posts, read 8,150,291 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And yet it was warmer in the Medieval Warming Period.
Did you know it was so warm on Earth at one point, that no life existed? So lets please stop with the notion of "der it was warmer in the past shtick...."

Quote:
And when a volcano blew its top in Iceland, global temps cooled.
Precisely because particulate matter from volcanoes causes less sunlight to come through, which cools the planet.

Quote:
Kind of makes a case that all that stuff you say is being put in the atmosphere should cool the earth.
You're right, it could end up that all the particulate matter, SOX, and NOX that we humans are emitting through combustion will cancel out the CO2 and methane to cause the planet to cool.

Either way.......... us humans affect the climate. And it's probably a good idea to use fossil fuels more efficiently to prevent the climate from changing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:23 PM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,992,560 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
CAGW maybe be a hypothesis..... but AGW is most definitively a theory.
Which is in no way a support for the hypothesis of CAGW. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:27 PM
 
13,053 posts, read 12,992,560 times
Reputation: 2618
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I do it because I know I am right and it drives the acolytes to the Church of AGW nuts.
To each their own.

I try to avoid it, I always think of that saying when these circular artists start playing their games.

"Do not argue with a fool, lest you be mistaken for one yourself".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
 
Location: ATX-HOU
10,216 posts, read 8,150,291 times
Reputation: 2037
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
And not fact.

Get back to me when its fact.
Nah, you won't be getting a call. But let's be honest, you would never accept it as a fact unless your God Ron Paul or whoever tells you it; certainly never accept it as a fact from some smelly liberal. You are just another sheep who follows whatever your ideology tells you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Call me out.

It hasn't warmed in over 15 years.
I just did. The climate is changing, and climate is more than just temperature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I do it because I know I am right and it drives the acolytes to the Church of AGW nuts.
AGW is certainly happening, while CAGW is very much unclear. Please at least know what you are discussing, it makes your look uninformed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2013, 04:28 PM
 
27,306 posts, read 16,298,149 times
Reputation: 12103
Quote:
Did you know it was so warm on Earth at one point, that no life existed? So lets please stop with the notion of "der it was warmer in the past shtick...."
Its a valid point which you can't overcome so you cloud it with the "that was then but this is now" shtick.

Quote:
Precisely because particulate matter from volcanoes causes less sunlight to come through, which cools the planet.
Exactly. And when it happens again, you will wish it was warmer and wonder why you tried to fight it warming up so hard.

Quote:
Either way.......... us humans affect the climate. And it's probably a good idea to use fossil fuels more efficiently to prevent the climate from changing.
The climate will change anyway regardless of what humans will do. Its dynamic. Its warming on Mars, did the rovers cause it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:06 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top