Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2013, 10:20 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times

Advertisements

The system stinks from top to bottom- Even in Canada it is a fake educational system. I dropped out of school early but continued to learn on my own- because I like to learn. I had a friend that was a university graduate - We worked on a writing project together for a year....I was stunned to find him to be illiterate. How he graduated I have no idea...It is about getting the degree anyway you can- it is not about actually learning or being educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,817,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
BS. Chinese students attend public schools. Offhand, I know of 3, and they're outperforming other students. Chinese students exert themselves, try to figure things out themselves, don't want them spoonfed and others figuring out the answers for them. You're encouraging a sense of entitlement and a laziness of mind, which doesn't surprise me one iota.
The Chinese who study here in Canada are extremists. The parents of these students put tremendous pressure on their kids to achieve. Japan is another good example of this extremism...Suicide is common among students who fail. Asians worship status and money. I watched an interview with an Asian student - They asked him what he wanted to do with his future. He said he wanted to be a doctor.

They questioned him on why. He said "because the money is really good" - Not that he wanted to help people - heal them and maintain public health...it was simply the MONEY- I don't want this kid operating on me.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:30 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,321,575 times
Quote:

If America is going to do better in education, then America need to promote
more critical thinking.
There's going to be even less of it. Republicans oppose critical thinking.

This week, the Republican Party of Texas released its official 2012 platform, with provisions including the repeal of the Voting Rights Act, recommendations for the use of corporal punishment in classrooms, and opposition to the teaching of “higher order thinking skills.”

Texas Republicans 2012 Platform Opposes Critical Thinking and Supports Corporal Punishment

Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,731,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
The Chinese who study here in Canada are extremists. The parents of these students put tremendous pressure on their kids to achieve. Japan is another good example of this extremism...Suicide is common among students who fail. Asians worship status and money. I watched an interview with an Asian student - They asked him what he wanted to do with his future. He said he wanted to be a doctor.

They questioned him on why. He said "because the money is really good" - Not that he wanted to help people - heal them and maintain public health...it was simply the MONEY- I don't want this kid operating on me.
No, Chinese students are not extremist. They're simply not lazy-brained as American students are, they study, do their own study work, and figure things out for themselves. To ask an American to student to figure things out, you'd think you'd just asked them to jump off a ledge and kill himself. American students DO NOT like effort. They want to be on the social media, sleep, and socialize in class. That's their life, and their parents approve wholeheartedly.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:45 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
That does not suprise me at all, and I bet a high achieving Indian or Pakistani kid would say the same. They don't have the same options in their home countries as ordinary Canadians have.

The average city salary for a university graduate about 3000 RMB (500 USD per month) and it may take 10 years to increase to 6000 RMB. I can tell you this, it is quite hard to raise a family in China on less than a combined income of 10000 RMB. And the girls in China often exclude men under a certain income, and is often very lenient once you reach a certain income. That means if you have a low income, you may never have a wife and never get kids. And even if you do find someone on a low income, you are still going to struggle with your low income.

So of course they want to pick career after money. Any westerner put in the same situation would have done the same. The reason they work so hard is because top grades in China previously led to the best paid jobs and bad grades meant bad jobs and a bad life. So while parents do not work that hard, they would force their kids to work 24/7 because your future was dependent on how you did in high school.

But this reality is changing in China, many employers are now more interested in good workers with social skills, management skills and critical thinking skills. Those kind of workers will get promoted into positions where they earn 10,000 - 20,000 RMB. Hence, you don't gain that much anymore from being from a top university and grades in high school are not that critical anymore. But most Chinese parents don't know that, or don't want to take the risk.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
There's going to be even less of it. Republicans oppose critical thinking.

This week, the Republican Party of Texas released its official 2012 platform, with provisions including the repeal of the Voting Rights Act, recommendations for the use of corporal punishment in classrooms, and opposition to the teaching of “higher order thinking skills.”

Texas Republicans 2012 Platform Opposes Critical Thinking and Supports Corporal Punishment
Sad...

But I think few people have the right ideas for American schools. I think the easiest reform would be to let homework count less, and remove extra credit. Then students could not flunk the tests and still get a B/C.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:08 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
No, Chinese students are not extremist. They're simply not lazy-brained as American students are, they study, do their own study work, and figure things out for themselves. To ask an American to student to figure things out, you'd think you'd just asked them to jump off a ledge and kill himself. American students DO NOT like effort. They want to be on the social media, sleep, and socialize in class. That's their life, and their parents approve wholeheartedly.
Evidently not, as someone posted earlier American Asians and Caucasians perform very well compared to peer groups. Finnish students scored higher than American whites and students in Shanghai scored higher than American Asians, but Americans scored higher than the rest of their peer countries.

Table R3 pg 15.
US average: 500
OECD average: 493

Asian: 541
White: 525
Hispanic: 441
Black: 466

http://nces.ed.gov/pubs2011/2011004_1.pdf

Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Evidently not, as someone posted earlier American Asians and Caucasians perform very well compared to peer groups. Finnish students scored higher than American whites and students in Shanghai scored higher than American Asians, but Americans scored higher than the rest of their peer countries.
That is just reading, how about maths and science.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:16 AM

3,740 posts, read 3,070,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
At first I thought it was money, but we spend the most and spend the same percentage of GDP as England and they are ranked 6th. Then I thought it was school choice, but both countries with and without school choice outperformed the US. Demographics doesn't explain the reason either as the ISD where my parents use to live was only ranked in the 91st percentile and that place is 90%+ white.

Is it just culture? Culture certainly plays a role, but I don't think that tells the whole story either.

Thoughts?

[URL="http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0923110.html"]International Comparison of Math, Reading, and Science Skills Among 15-Year-Olds | Infoplease.com[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ibtimes.com/us-17th-global-education-ranking-finland-south-korea-claim-top-spots-901538"]US 17th In Global Education Ranking; Finland, South Korea Claim Top Spots[/URL]
[URL="http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2010/dec/07/world-education-rankings-maths-science-reading"]World education rankings: which country does best at reading, maths and science? | News | guardian.co.uk[/URL]
[URL="http://www.ed.gov/blog/2010/12/international-education-rankings-suggest-reform-can-lift-u-s/"]International Education Rankings Suggest Reform Can Lift U.S. | ED.gov Blog[/URL]
[URL="http://globalreportcard.org/map.html"]School District Ranking | Education Rankings by State | Education Statistics | Compare School Districts[/URL]
It is run by liberals. What else could happen?

Old 07-25-2013, 11:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
That is just reading, how about maths and science.
Ethnicity wasn't released for math and science in 2009 for the USA. I have the math and science scores for 2003 and 2006, respectively, but I am looking for the original reports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies