Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:25 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
In preface to my thought, I'd like to note that NFL teams in the modern era, have change complete team names and mascots.

In saying that, My sugestion to the NFL Washington Redskins is a mascot name change. Alhtough the outcry may not be as fervant as it was in it's most fervant, there is no "right" or "wrong" time to explore name change.

My intrest in name change most likely reflects main stream America's intrest...I don't think America wants to force the Redskins to change, but I believe most would like to see a name change.

Here is my sugestion: Washington, rename your mascot name to the War Dogs. Most Major League Sports teams mascot's are animals. I don't like the trend to name team mascots some inane object or some odd, off'times obscure aminal.

War Dogs is a perfect fit for our nation's capital's team. Service...War Dogs have been a fixture with warriors since the early days of warfare. The Roman soldier's famously used dogs in their legions. Troops used dogs for more than battle.

We have images of modren wariors using dogs in all forms of Military service. The lovable mutt companion; But the new reality of the dogs of war is much more serious and important.

How cool would be to honor our service personnel and their k-9 partners. Just Imagine before a game, at the presentation of the colors, if a sevice person with his dog on leash were to accompany the other service personnel to the center of the field? How cool would it be for the Washington War dogs to start the the tradition of adding a military or civilian k-9 service dog and their handler to the line of colors?

Imagine at half time, A different Service Dog group or organization is honored. DEA, Border Patrol, Disaster Search and Rescue, Disabled American's help, Vetran's Service dogs..even mutts that go to Nursing homes or Hospitals to comfort paitients

How is this not a win-win situation for the Washington...you decide.
Must be a slow day in liberal loony land.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:29 AM

26,493 posts, read 15,070,512 times
I am offended by the name "war dogs". These dogs are forced to fight against their will and consent - all while being exposed to harms way. We need to advocate peace.

Who would you want to be the QB of the "War Dogs"? Michael Vick?

The name justifies Michael Vick's inhumane treatment of dogs.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:41 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,383,703 times
Default Not bad, but nah

I don't like the "dogs" part of that name.

How about Washington WarHAWKS?

WASHINGTON WARHAWKS!

Old 07-25-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
I don't like the "dogs" part of that name.

How about Washington WarHAWKS?

WASHINGTON WARHAWKS!
LOL, Henry Clay and John C Calhoun could be their mascots!

P.S. Does anyone else want to join me in being offended about the New Orleans Saints? It seems like it diminishes Catholicism to have it in their name.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:51 AM

This plays off of the bigoted stereotype that the Irish are surly drunks that get into bar fights. "Fightin' Irish" The guy looks more like a low brow ape than a human. I am offended. Perhaps change their name to the less offensive "Bell Towers" and it fits in with that hunchback kids movie.

Last edited by michiganmoon; 07-25-2013 at 10:00 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 09:56 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,084,767 times
No one or nothing can make you offended.
Being offended is a choice that you make.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:19 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Braves would be a good choice. My next choice is Blackskins.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:25 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Braves would be a good choice. My next choice is Blackskins.
Braves was their original name in boston then changed to the Boston Redskins.

Romeo and the Dallas Cowgirls suck.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I understand the offense taken by the term redskin in general, but the name was obviously not selected as a slur. Teams choose a mascot out of respect or a connection with the area. What team would want to name themselves something derogatory? This name was picked during a different time when it wasn't frowned upon as it is today. If they choose to change it, so be it, but I don't see how you can look at it and think an insult exists.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Conservatives: "This is stupid. Leave it alone. PC people are going to destroy the very fabric of our civilization.† I reserve the right to stomp my feet like a child and be really really mad because I'm so sick of these PC people forcing things down my throat!††"

I don't care if they change the name or if they don't. I'd imagine most people are in the same boat. Change it, don't change it. It won't get me riled up. But I do think it's pretty funny to watch conservatives just crap their pants at the very thought of one damn little thing changing, even if it's completely inconsequential to their lives.

Conservative motto: "We've done it this way for a hundred years. Why should we change now?"

--

† - not really destroying anything
†† - not forcing anything down anyone's throat

I am far from a conservative, why is everything either black or white to you?
I have my own opinion and can think for myself. Is this an American thing. If you disagree with something you have to be either conservative of liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies