Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 12:39 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times

Advertisements

Obamacare signup happens in 2 months.
People have to show ID and proof of citizenship.

The next Presidential election is 3.5 years away.

Look at where all the outrage is pointed at..voter ID laws.
Yet both require the same proof and no one is outraged about Obamacare signup.

Isn't that odd.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 06:31 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,772,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Well, I'm a leftwinger, and I certainly don't want ineligible people voting. Non-citizens already can't vote. Voter fraud isn't OK. But it is exceptionally rare. Also, how many dead people voted in 2012? Do you have accurate figures for that? I'm curious.
I'm glad we can agree that only those eligible should be able to vote. I've worked several elections, and we are instructed that we are to do all we can that people can vote and where there are issues there are procedures for provisional ballots. The problem as I see it is that the precinct voters role is publicly available, and it is possible for someone to check that role, determine who has not yet voted, and claim to be that person. So I have no problem requiring photo ID to assure the validity of the voter. We require photo ID to buy liquor, certain restricted materials such as model airplane glue, to cash a check, etc. Why not voting?

You're right, I dont have research regarding dead people voting, just the anecdotes I have heard over the years.

On the other hand, John Fund did some great research and wrote Stealing Elections: How Voter Fraud Threatens Our Democracy

John Fund explores the real divide the country faces with the looming election. Through wary thoughts on voting integrity, he shows how eletions can be decided by the votes of dead people, illegal felon voters, and absentee voters that simply don't exist. If nothing is done to address the growing cynicism about vote counting, rest assured that another close presidential election that descends into bitter partisan wrangling is just around the corner

Old 07-26-2013, 06:46 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,809,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I'm glad we can agree that only those eligible should be able to vote. I've worked several elections, and we are instructed that we are to do all we can that people can vote and where there are issues there are procedures for provisional ballots. The problem as I see it is that the precinct voters role is publicly available, and it is possible for someone to check that role, determine who has not yet voted, and claim to be that person. So I have no problem requiring photo ID to assure the validity of the voter. We require photo ID to buy liquor, certain restricted materials such as model airplane glue, to cash a check, etc. Why not voting?

You're right, I dont have research regarding dead people voting, just the anecdotes I have heard over the years.

On the other hand, John Fund did some great research and wrote Stealing Elections: How Voter Fraud Threatens Our Democracy

John Fund explores the real divide the country faces with the looming election. Through wary thoughts on voting integrity, he shows how eletions can be decided by the votes of dead people, illegal felon voters, and absentee voters that simply don't exist. If nothing is done to address the growing cynicism about vote counting, rest assured that another close presidential election that descends into bitter partisan wrangling is just around the corner
So someone makes up a "study" that tells you what you want to hear, it must be true, huh? Why not look at election commission data from all the States that shows successful prosecution on voter fraud cases? Oh wait, that wouldn't validate your theory, would it?

Old 07-26-2013, 07:34 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,772,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
So someone makes up a "study" that tells you what you want to hear, it must be true, huh? Why not look at election commission data from all the States that shows successful prosecution on voter fraud cases? Oh wait, that wouldn't validate your theory, would it?
It is far better to deny the validity that disagrees with your own biases, I guess. If you had read the book, you could legitimately dispute the methodology. Instead, you a priori assume that the research is "made up" because you dont accept the conclusion.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,186,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You have nothing but fantasy to go on. No proof that anyone in the Obama administration is interested in getting people here illegally to vote.
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... they're already here. That why they're so valuable to the Donks.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:42 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,186,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You should probably read the constitution first. When you do you will find a section that says states have the power to determin voting rules and regulations.
That's what they're trying to break. Once the states no longer control voting the government will take over redistricting. To make matters worse, there's some GOP staff who are working to the same goal.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:14 PM

5,718 posts, read 3,229,952 times
Right. Even for those who are not legal and the ability to vote more than once in the same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Obama and Holder want to uphold the Constitutional voting rights of every American.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:16 PM

5,718 posts, read 3,229,952 times
It doesn't. Dems are pissed off because it means an end to voter fraud especially in places like Philadelphia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
Who is trying to infringe upon the rights or abilities of any American to vote? Bottom line, Holder dropped some red meat for the Dem base about getting after Texas. Are you familiar with the proposed Texas voter ID law? I am guessing not. The law nearly mirrors the one recently passed, without challenge or DOJ interference in Indiana. It contains the same provisions for FREE IDs to be provided by the the state. How does this limit the rights or abilities of anyone legally allowed to vote from doing so? It doesn't, but that won't stop the current administration from tilting at windmills to cheers of liberals everywhere...

Old 08-01-2013, 01:51 PM

2,295 posts, read 2,359,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
The GOP has to literally keep minorities from voting so they remain in power. I guess gerrymandering and outright stealing elections isnt enough anymore.

In 15 years the GOP will either be extinct or totally unrecognizable.

Care to provide any shred of proof any of this is going on? Surely you can't think the GOP has a monopoly on gerrymandering... Look at districts in places like Ohio, Michigan, New York, and Wisconsin if you don't think the Dems are guilty of the same.

I would most be interested in proof of your assertion, baseless though it is, that the GOP is attempting to "literally keep minorities from voting." That, and your accusation that outright stealing elections is occurring. Please be talking about Gore in Florida......

Old 08-01-2013, 02:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,260,642 times
You people are getting Voter ID laws confused with redistricting.

The voter ID laws are passed. Courts upheld the fair ones.

Holder is now going after redistricting that are done by states.
You let the Fed get ahold of that and you've given up your state's right to the Fed.
The DOJ will do what's in the best interest of the political party they represent, NOT the best interest of the people of that state.

The DOJ may be a Dem today but they could be Repub tomorrow. Do you really want the hyper-partisan federal government drawing the voting districts of your state ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies