Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have actually had the exact opposite experience as a Black woman who has dated interracially since high school. Some non-Black women tend to get really nasty when a non-Black guy who is considered a "catch" chooses a Black girl over them. I have had numerous really mean things done to me by non-Black women for dating a "catch".

I have had numerous experiences but one example is when I was in college (before everyone had cell phones) my roommate used to delete the messages of a guy that she felt shouldn't be dating me. I remember running into him on campus and he wanted to know why I wasn't returning his calls and I told him that I hadn't received any of his messages. When I confronted my roommate she stated that he shouldn't be dating a Black girl.

A few years ago when I told a non-Black 'friend' that a guy (that we all liked) had asked me out while we were at a party she tried to make out with him. I have also had non-Black 'friends' say really nasty things if a White guy compliments my looks in front them. And I have many more stories that I could share.
I have also experienced other "interesting" things by dating interracially. I.e. people who decide that dating out means I am an "oreo" ahem, from white people. Or other lovely comments, from mostly white people, that I am not really black....you know I act "white" whatever that means. Some people just have issues.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:38 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times
I don't have anything against interracial dating, but lots of people who engage in it suffer from self-hate and colorism. It's one thing to fall in love with what happens to be someone of another race, but when you specifically despise an entire group of one race out of ignorance is another.

Old 07-28-2013, 10:41 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,643,753 times
Eventually everyone in the world will be a nice mocha brown color, the kind of color most people seem to find desirable and attractive since white people spend a fortune on tanning salons, bronzers, and fake tanning sprays to achieve that color.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:18 PM

937 posts, read 1,134,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I have actually had the exact opposite experience as a Black woman who has dated interracially since high school. Some non-Black women tend to get really nasty when a non-Black guy who is considered a "catch" chooses a Black girl over them. I have had numerous really mean things done to me by non-Black women for dating a "catch".

I have had numerous experiences but one example is when I was in college (before everyone had cell phones) my roommate used to delete the messages of a guy that she felt shouldn't be dating me. I remember running into him on campus and he wanted to know why I wasn't returning his calls and I told him that I hadn't received any of his messages. When I confronted my roommate she stated that he shouldn't be dating a Black girl.

A few years ago when I told a non-Black 'friend' that a guy (that we all liked) had asked me out while we were at a party she tried to make out with him. I have also had non-Black 'friends' say really nasty things if a White guy compliments my looks in front them. And I have many more stories that I could share.
I have to cosign this! If a black woman dates a white guy who is perceived as a "catch" (by white women), the fangs often come out and are on full display! I have plenty of horror stories of my own...

Old 07-28-2013, 11:21 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,643,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
I don't have anything against interracial dating, but lots of people who engage in it suffer from self-hate and colorism. It's one thing to fall in love with what happens to be someone of another race, but when you specifically despise an entire group of one race out of ignorance is another.
Why would dating someone of another race indicate that you hated your own race? Does that mean if you date someone of your own race, you love that race?

Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,852,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Why would dating someone of another race indicate that you hated your own race? Does that mean if you date someone of your own race, you love that race?
It is a bit more complicated than that. It really depends on the "why" you date out.

There are people who date out (or in), because they just happen to meet someone they find amazing (this is good).

Some people date out, because they have a perception of their own group or the "out" group. And this allows them to gain privilege/power/respect or whatever they hope to accomplish by dating out.

For example, some people date asian or eastern european women, because they have a stereotype these ladies are submissive and will be the perfect housewife, allowing them to fufill their power fantasy.

Other people date latina or black women, because they are perceived as being exotic, sexually adventurous or some other "fetish."

Some non-white people date white people because, they either want to be "closer' to the power system, or because they feel white are superior.

And still other people date out because they hate their own group and don't want to be associated with them.

Other people refuse to date out, because they want to keep their families "pure" or it is a symbol of power or supremacy.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:30 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,227 times
Black women are their own worst enemies...this thread is exhibit A

Old 07-29-2013, 01:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,908,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Eventually everyone in the world will be a nice mocha brown color, the kind of color most people seem to find desirable and attractive since white people spend a fortune on tanning salons, bronzers, and fake tanning sprays to achieve that color.
Then how about you stop talking about race altogether? Apparently, you have it all figured out. If this is your premise then you have no control over the destination. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Then, if by some divine phenomenon, you are still alive when there is one, globally, homogeneous skin tone...you can pound your chest about some new and boring facet of perceived inequity.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:37 AM

5,648 posts, read 8,053,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
There's some who would interracially date or marry, but still have a grudge against that other race.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:21 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,520,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
I have to cosign this! If a black woman dates a white guy who is perceived as a "catch" (by white women), the fangs often come out and are on full display! I have plenty of horror stories of my own...
It took me a long time to realize that some of these women 'flip out' because for a Black woman to be chosen over them is a direct challenge to their perceived superior beauty and desirability. I am not surprised that other Black women are stating that they have had similar experiences. Scenarios such as the ones that have been posted happen repeatedly and yet we tend to hold these experiences close to the vest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.