Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:56 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times

Advertisements

Six years ago, voters in Washington stateoverwhelmingly passed an initiative limiting annual property taxe increases to 1% per year. The State's Democrat-appointed Supreme Court this past week declared the initiavie unconstitutional because of "misleading language". Here's how Seattle's leading newspaper, The Post-Intelligencer (no, that's not a typo) editorialize the decision [I added the boldface to highlight the incredibly obtuse thinking on the part of the editorialist ]:

"The Washington Supreme Court delivered a reasonable ruling Thursday when it deemed Initiative 747 unconstitutional because of misleading language. Approved in 2001, the measure capped property tax increases at 1 percent each year. The previous cap was 6 percent, although voters might have thought that the previous cap was 2 percent.

"'A voter reading the text of the initiative could believe that he or she was voting to reduce the property tax limit by 1 percent instead of by 5 percent, a substantially different impact on the public coffers, as well as the perceived benefit to the individual voter's purse' wrote Justice Bobbe Bridge for the majority. While we see the point of the dissenting justices, that it should always be assumed that voters can, in fact, think for themselves, we agree with the 5-4 majority in this case."

Die, P-I, die. And take your useless, left-wing, tree-eating colleagues with you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2007, 05:00 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Six years ago, voters in Washington stateoverwhelmingly passed an initiative limiting annual property taxe increases to 1% per year. The State's Democrat-appointed Supreme Court this past week declared the initiavie unconstitutional because of "misleading language". Here's how Seattle's leading newspaper, The Post-Intelligencer (no, that's not a typo) editorialize the decision [I added the boldface to highlight the incredibly obtuse thinking on the part of the editorialist ]:

"The Washington Supreme Court delivered a reasonable ruling Thursday when it deemed Initiative 747 unconstitutional because of misleading language. Approved in 2001, the measure capped property tax increases at 1 percent each year. The previous cap was 6 percent, although voters might have thought that the previous cap was 2 percent.

"'A voter reading the text of the initiative could believe that he or she was voting to reduce the property tax limit by 1 percent instead of by 5 percent, a substantially different impact on the public coffers, as well as the perceived benefit to the individual voter's purse' wrote Justice Bobbe Bridge for the majority. While we see the point of the dissenting justices, that it should always be assumed that voters can, in fact, think for themselves, we agree with the 5-4 majority in this case."

Die, P-I, die. And take your useless, left-wing, tree-eating colleagues with you!
Indeed Yeledaf! They cant even give the papers away here in Washington, The whole state is subject to the wacked leftist opinions of king county (greater seattle area) !

Old 11-10-2007, 05:12 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,145 times
Default becasue they suck.

Look newspapers are dying because they suck. For the most part they don't bother to really look into the news anymore. They just follow the philosophy "if it bleeds it leads."
Now from what I took for the OP of this tread is that this is a left leaning conspiracy. Well let just put a slightly different angle on this. While I don't thing this is a right wing conspiracy. I do think the Press pu$$ied out with calling the bush administration to task for the many offenses they have taken against the American population and our constitution. Ex. wire tapping to the lead up to the second gulf war.
I sure Walter Cronkite is going WTF right now.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:17 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,862,062 times
Because they insult our intelligence with a bunch of canned, boilerplate "conventional wisdom" i.e., Leftist talking points.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Indeed Yeledaf! They cant even give the papers away here in Washington, The whole state is subject to the wacked leftist opinions of king county (greater seattle area) !
The Columbus Debauch always has some poor shlepp college interns hawking their crap at local supermarkets.

"Try just a Sunday/weekend subscription?"

My emphatic "No" is always accompanied with an explanation why I won't buy their paper.

So far, no evidence the publishers/editors are listening!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:58 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times
I guess it would be interesting to read the language of the initiative and see whether it appeared to be misleading or not.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:00 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,532,525 times
Over here to the left of Club-us, we have the Dayton Daily News. I actually enjoy it. HOWEVER, just like with any other media, the reader must engage brain before reading. Yeah, I'm a little fed up with the "if it bleeds, it leads" journalism today. I still enjoy the variety of columns and local opinion (even if I only agree some of the time....) And I'm definitely in agreement with those who understand that a news reporting organization is mostly in conflict with idea of it being just another profit center for some large conglomerate.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:02 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Newspapers are outdated by the time they are printed. At the latest, a morning edition of a paper will have news from 9pm to midnight the previous night. If you read it in the morning, it's already 12 hours old. If you read it in the evening, it's closer to a day old. In the age of the internet, that gap is just too big to manage.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:38 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I guess it would be interesting to read the language of the initiative and see whether it appeared to be misleading or not.
I-747's official ballot title read as follows:

Initiative Measure No. 747 concerns limiting property tax increases. This measure would require state and local governments to limit property tax
levy increases to 1% per year, unless an increase greater than this limit is approved by the voters at an election.Should this measure be enacted into law?

Yes - No -

Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Club-us
LOL!! That's priceless

Anyway, I totally concur with your "engage brain first" comment.

No matter what the news source, I always put on my critical thinking cap before reading & believing.

What gets frustrating is after soooo many stories, editorials, etc. the smell of bovine excrement is consistent, continuous and wall-to-wall.

That's when I finally give up, and assume thereafter that the source in question is full of it, no longer worth my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies