Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 11:50 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,773,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And the end result is that we'd all pay for those completely unnecessary upgrades by increased cost in care--every penny of it would be passed along by raising medical care costs. If you think health care costs are high now....

I don't think some of these people even try to THINK.
So it is ok for it to be unsafe because being safe would be expensive?

The government already pays for 45% of abortions, I'm surprised to see you so concerned with government spending, seems to be a first for you on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 11:51 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,576,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Agree. All have to do is negotiate a suitable agreement with the tooth fairy and put a stop to all unwanted pregnancies.
I'm glad you mentioned the tooth fairy, lvoc. Have you heard about the new movement to stop the murder of innocent patients who go in for what is deceptively presented as a simple dental procedure? What Pro-Life Is Pro-Tooth (PLIPT) seeks to do is hold dental offices to unreasonable standards that even hospitals are NOT held to in order to get those dental offices to close. It's the only thing to do morally. Life is life. Oral hygiene, healthy gums, and the relief of tooth pain are never worth an innocent life!!!!

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,728,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Was unaware using condoms was difficult. They even give them away for free. Plus they have all sorts of other contraception that prevents pregnancies. You can even use more than one type of contraceptive to be even more safe. But I know these things are hard to know, I learned them in the 5th grade during sex education.
Ohh but with the wide spread use of condoms and other birth control that you guys are so successfully promoting it will be a piece of cake to support the few that get through..

Once all these births are well covered the problem will go away will it not?

You certainly would not want to have these poor babies born into a ghetto existence with poor food, clothing and morals would you?

Old 07-26-2013, 12:13 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,172,105 times
Quote:
So it is ok for it to be unsafe because being safe would be expensive?

The government already pays for 45% of abortions, I'm surprised to see you so concerned with government spending, seems to be a first for you on this forum.

First, it's pretty obvious that you've never read any of my economic threads.

Second, I think it's "pretty obvious" that you haven't got a clue about what you're talking about.

Where do you have ANY evidence or data that shows that existing clinics are unsafe, and where are you coming up with data on government funded abortions? NO federal money can be used for abortions unless the women's life would be threatened by taking the pregnancy to term or in cases of rape and incest. Seventeen states help pay for abortions for some poor women, but it's only about 14% of the abortions performed in the country. If you're in a state where state funds can't be used for abortions, it's entirely out of your own pocket.

Facts About Abortion: U.S. Abortion Statistics

Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Ohh but with the wide spread use of condoms and other birth control that you guys are so successfully promoting it will be a piece of cake to support the few that get through..

Once all these births are well covered the problem will go away will it not?

You certainly would not want to have these poor babies born into a ghetto existence with poor food, clothing and morals would you?
The ghetto existence pays over 80k per year, they seem to be doing ok right now.

For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.
Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.
The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.
Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.
Add it up and this family can get $81,589 in free assistance.
Nanny State Welfare Gone Insane: Single Mothers in Pennsylvania Could Qualify for a Whopping $80,000 in Government Benefits « Frugal Café Blog Zone

Old 07-26-2013, 12:22 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,728,275 times
Quote:
The ghetto existence pays over 80k per year, they seem to be doing ok right now.

For this story, CBS 21 researched what government programs are available to a single mother of two making $19,000 a year. What we found was incredible.
Our family would be eligible for $14,976 in free day care, another $13,400 for Head Start and Early Head Start, $7,148 in housing vouchers, $6,500 for weatherization projects, $400 to pay heating bills, $480 a year for a cell phone, with an extra $230 for a land line, and $182 in free legal advice.
The family would get more than $6,028 in food assistance and another $6,045 in medical assistance. The mother is eligible for $5,500 in Pell Grants for school with an additional $12,000 for the Education Opportunity Grant; SMART Grant; and TEACH Grant.
Our family would also get $6,800 in tax credits, and $1,900 in withholding would be returned.
Nanny State Welfare Gone Insane: Single Mothers in Pennsylvania Could Qualify for a Whopping $80,000 in Government Benefits « Frugal Café Blog Zone
Well here is your chance. Get out there and sell the $50,000 per pregnancy. Think how much money the country will save and, for some reason, I bet the ladies involved will be pleased.

Cut the budget and break the ghetto cycle...wow.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:

There've been a million media accounts, and a million threads here, debunking this. For instance, I ran the salary and family size you listed at $19K a year through the benefits calculator for north dakota (because it's online and easy to use), and after paying $600 a month in rent, their foodstamp benefit was $36 a month--thats $432 a year instead of $6028. Most of the other benefits you outlined would be available to someone on welfare and at a lot lower cost that what you've described. Someone making $19K wouldn't qualify for most of it. Depending on the state, there is a cap on the number of months you can draw welfare, and unless you have a very young child, there are work requirements--you either have to have a job or be in a vocational training program. Nice try though.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
There've been a million media accounts, and a million threads here, debunking this. For instance, I ran the salary and family size you listed at $19K a year through the benefits calculator for north dakota (because it's online and easy to use), and after paying $600 a month in rent, their foodstamp benefit was $36 a month--that $432 a year instead of $6028. Most of the other benefits you outlined would be available to someone on welfare--not someone earning $19K a year. Depending on the state, there is a cap on the number of months you can draw welfare, and unless you have a very young child, there are work requirements--you either have to have a job or be in a vocational training program. Nice try though.
This was for Pennsylvania and it is accurate. Just because you say it is not does not make it untrue. People can just jump from one vocational training program to another at community college, I knew people that did while I was in community college. They were there so they could stay on the dole, one of my classmates was in her 8th year of community college btw.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 AM

Quote:
This was for Pennsylvania and it is accurate. Just because you say it is not does not make it untrue. People can just jump from one vocational training program to another at community college, I knew people that did while I was in community college. They were there so they could stay on the dole, one of my classmates was in her 8th year of community college btw.
The number of months you can be on public assistance is determined by each state. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether you get your vocational training done in that time or not. Many states limit it to as little as two years total in your lifetime.

Here's the pennsylvania calculator. I ran the numbers through, and at $19K in income for a family with one adult and a child, and $1000 in household goods (that includes a car) you wouldn't qualify AT ALL for foodstamps. I ran the numbers through the calculator for the state of Oregon and it came out to $44/month. Like I said--nice try.
https://www.compass.state.pa.us/compass.web/CMHOM.aspx

Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,441,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Recently in Virginia, a law was passed requiring hospital like standards for abortion clinics and liberals threw a hissy fit. Why do liberals think abortion clinics are above regulations?
Abortion is conducive to reliance on government. The more freely available abortion is, the less reliance on personal responsibility there is. Personal responsibility is anathema to liberals. On the surface it appears hypocritical that the people who want to regulate what size soda you can buy are so against regulating a medical procedure, but you need to look below the surface.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies