Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 10:44 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Oh, and legislative bodies usually are not elected at large, they have districts and wards for that.
Not in Palmdale which is what this thread is about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
In this case, it would be wrong to presume that everyone is qualified to vote, e.g. how many residents are NOT citizens? If you take out the non-citizens, the combined Hispanic-Black population might not make 50 percent.

There are also a slew of demographic factors associated with low voter turnout e.g. younger population, haven't lived in town very long, do not own a home, not married, not high school/college graduate, don't make a lot of money...which explain much of the lower voter turnout here.
1 legal citizen, 1 legal vote. Use it or lose it. Their choice no matter what the excuse.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
The disparate impact clause of various laws need to be scrapped. You can't legislate behavior if folks don't want to vote doesn't mean they are being discriminated against.

Old 07-26-2013, 10:49 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that the Supreme Court ruled in (?) 1971 that college students are entitled to vote at college if they live there most (more than half) of the year and are otherwise qualified to vote.

If students were not allowed to vote at college, they would have minimal protection from policies aimed against them, plus they would not have any meaningful and effective redress of grievances.

Even with the right to vote at college, many college towns have adversely regulated students and made their lives more difficult and more expensive.

Even so, voter ID laws might be making it difficult for students to vote at college, since they usually keep their DMV address at the parents' home until they eventually get a job and settle down. Ann Coulter continued to keep her voter registration at her parents' home for some years after she left college.
By that logic, members of the US military should be allowed to vote in every city/state they're stationed even if they only live on base or ship.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:04 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
1 legal citizen, 1 legal vote. Use it or lose it. Their choice no matter what the excuse.

okay...let's say you're a poor person. no internet, no newspapers, you're registered to vote and you never get any junk campaign mail or candidates knocking on your door (because you live in a poor neighborhood and the candidates have written off your neighborhood). and you moved into town two years ago, and you also don't have a spouse who knows what's up.

where's the basis for voting there? how would you know who to vote for or even who's running?

i almost always vote, but that's because i'm an obstinate jerk.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
The problem is low voter turnout. The city is 66% minority and 70% Democrat but they don't vote.
In 2001 they voted against districts.

Those minority candidates that run don't get the votes. They are crying outrage and discrimination for all the wrong reasons. They would be better off getting more minorities into office if they got the people to actually leave their homes and vote.

The judge even said he didn't consider voter turnout in his decision.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:11 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
By that logic, members of the US military should be allowed to vote in every city/state they're stationed even if they only live on base or ship.

I suppose there's nothing stopping them but I would imagine most of them have a home base of some sort from which they vote, obviously there are a lot of military absentee voters.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,450,777 times
Quote:
I suppose there's nothing stopping them but I would imagine most of them have a home base of some sort from which they vote, obviously there are a lot of military absentee voters.
But hundreds of thousands didn't count for 2012. They got mislabeled, lost and delivered one day too late to be counted. You don't recall that story ?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well looking at the Demographics of Palmdale it's 49% White, .9% Black and 54% Hispanic.

Without districting the Blacks don't have a chance at getting into the Council.

With less than 1% of the population, their voice is insignificant anyway. The needs of the MAJORITY are what is important especially when you are talking about spending taxpayer money.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
okay...let's say you're a poor person. no internet, no newspapers, you're registered to vote and you never get any junk campaign mail or candidates knocking on your door (because you live in a poor neighborhood and the candidates have written off your neighborhood). and you moved into town two years ago, and you also don't have a spouse who knows what's up.

where's the basis for voting there? how would you know who to vote for or even who's running?

i almost always vote, but that's because i'm an obstinate jerk.
In California ALL registered voters get a pamplet sent to their registered voting address.

I havent missed a vote since I turned 18.

My grandparenst on my fathers side were very poor. At one point living in an army tent when they first got married. According to them they NEVER missed a vote, even if they were Democrats.

Sorry if people really want it they will make it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies