Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Replace Dollar Bill With Coin
Yes 41 47.13%
No 46 52.87%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 11:13 PM

42 posts, read 61,094 times

Advertisements

I seriously hate that U.S. coins are not numerical unlike other currencies... So annoying.

No, I like my dollar bill. I hate coins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 11:15 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
I hate carrying coins; they end up in a big bucket.
One of these days I need to take it to the bank.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,838,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua
A new bill is being pushed to once and for all do away with the dollar bill.
Yes which i think is stupid and shouldnt be done!

Old 07-27-2013, 12:26 AM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Strippers do not like it when you throw coins at them.
Five bucks now to get close.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:59 AM

774 posts, read 1,693,745 times
Remember that when the Federal Reserve was created, a nickel would buy more than today's dollar will.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Doesn't it cost 10 1/2 cents to mint one penny? What'll it cost to mint another Susan B. Anthony sized coin that we'll mistake for a quarter? $1.33? Let's keep printing, and not minting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
if the dollar coin is large enough that is wont be confused for a quarter, or if they change the color of the coin so that you can differentiate it from a quarter, then i have no issue with dollar coins.
What year is this? The brass-colored dollar coins have been in circulation since 2000 (Sacagawea) and 2007 (Presidential Series). I also wish they were slightly larger but they are definitely a distinct color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

I know a guy that had a too similar name to another guy and the child support system nailed the wrong guy. They made his life a living hell for 3 years and refused to fix the problem. That guy became a dead beat dad for kids he didn't even know, and as i understood it the baby mama was as willing to take this guys money as she was anyone else's

I know we're a bit off-topic now but I just couldn't resist

Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Why not have both?

I recall one dollar coins being fairly common decades back.
But those one dollar coins had substance to them, they were larger than the Susan B and larger than the Kennedy Half dollar coin. You knew you had a one dollar coin in your hand. The Susan B and the Sacajawea coins were too small.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:45 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'll happen when we go metric...which will be never...

I do think we need to get rid of the penny and the one dollar bill. Too bad the two dollar bill never caught on. That, probably, has to do with cash drawers not having a space for them. If we eliminated the $1 that would make room for the $2 in cash drawers.
actually our money is already on the metric system. as for the $2 bill, the reason it never caught on was that it was originally designed to let people in port cities know when the fleet came to town. the sailors were paid in $2 bills and when the merchants saw the bills show up they knew the fleet was in port.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archguy View Post
What year is this? The brass-colored dollar coins have been in circulation since 2000 (Sacagawea) and 2007 (Presidential Series). I also wish they were slightly larger but they are definitely a distinct color.
yeah, i knew those coins are out there, but they are rare to see on a regular basis.

Old 07-27-2013, 01:56 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
I learned that the hard way when I was in Montreal.
You're supposed to take them out of the roll first.

Old 07-27-2013, 02:09 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Canada only has the loonie and toonie aside from the quarter, Dime and nickel we stopped producing thee penny since it cost more then a penny to make a penny.
Ahem. 25 cent piece, 10 cent piece, and 5 cent piece, thankyouverymuch. Americans use quarters, dimes, and nickles.

Quote:
We also went to polymer banknotes that last alot longer and increase the circulation time and reduce costs which saves taxpayers money and well they feel funny at first but you get used to them the have some neat holograms and watermarks.
I love the rubber money. It has transparent bits! It's like my bank comes from the future.

Old 07-27-2013, 03:08 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
[quote=Archguy;30684697]Remember that when the Federal Reserve was created, a nickel would buy more than today's dollar will.

Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2013

I also wish that the coins were larger. I would also prefer that the colors be bright red, bright green, bright pink, orange, sky blue, bright yellow etc. Then, they would be easier to distinguish in the dark (bar lighting)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies