Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,221,586 times

Advertisements

The people that are hurt most by any WORD are overly sensitive, easily offended crybabies! Who came up with the phrase, "hurtful words"? Some sissy? If you can't handle words that people might say, my advice is just to stay in the house! Common decency to me is to be mature enough not to be offended by a word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
The people who are hurt the most by kids bantering the word "retarded" around are the mentally challenged and their families. You are telling mentally challenged people that they are toooo damn sensitive and that they should grow up.

How about this: Don't use hurtful words when there alternatives. The only people using "retarded" anymore are 12 year old boys on the playground.

Somehow protecting the hateful speech of playground bullies is more important than common decency in your world.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:14 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,760,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
The people that are hurt most by any WORD are overly sensitive, easily offended crybabies! Who came up with the phrase, "hurtful words"? Some sissy? If you can't handle words that people might say, my advice is just to stay in the house! Common decency to me is to be mature enough not to be offended by a word!
Ok, here's a fun little exercise for you. Go to your local elementary school and find a 3rd grade classroom. Tell a child he is "retarded" because he is dyslexic and not reading properly. Watch him cry for a while. Then, tell him "IF you can't handle words that people might say, my advice is just to stay in the house!"

Look, being an American means we have the freedom to say whatever we want. Just because you have the freedom to be a douchebag doesn't mean you should be a douchebag

Old 07-27-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
There is nothing wrong with labels. Being female is a label. And to some, a label of derision. I'm not going to quit say it because some self proclaimed expert has deemed it so. Those idiots will you hopping from one PC phrase to another as they decide what words can be used.

Rather Orwellian, don't you think? Instead of Thought Crimes we could institute Speak Crimes.

You can say it all you want. Yay America. Just like the rest of us have every right to think you're a douchecanoe for continuing to use an outdated phrase that's upsetting to so many people with disabilities.

R-word | Spread the Word to End the Word

Old 07-28-2013, 12:09 AM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretty Quick Tonight View Post
Very good Paduwan.
May the force be with you.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:48 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,728,122 times
I like any word that offends people. this just made my list of words to say multiple times per day.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:07 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,661,537 times
Quote:
Ok, here's a fun little exercise for you. Go to your local elementary school and find a 3rd grade classroom. Tell a child he is "retarded" because he is dyslexic and not reading properly. Watch him cry for a while. Then, tell him "IF you can't handle words that people might say, my advice is just to stay in the house!"

Look, being an American means we have the freedom to say whatever we want. Just because you have the freedom to be a douchebag doesn't mean you should be a douchebag
People who have dyslexia are not mentally retarded. They have the same mental capacities as others. My brother was born with slow mental capabilities. The appropriate phrase, until the speech police got involved, was mentally retarded. One would no more go and pull a child out of class and call him retarded than they would go and pull him out and call him fat. But may you would be okay with calling him horizontally challenged?

Quote:
You can say it all you want. Yay America. Just like the rest of us have every right to think you're a douchecanoe for continuing to use an outdated phrase that's upsetting to so many people with disabilities.

R-word | Spread the Word to End the Word
So let me get this straight...it's okay for you to call people names, but no one else?

Last edited by Everdeen; 07-28-2013 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
People who have dyslexia are not mentally retarded. They have the same mental capacities as others. My brother was born with slow mental capabilities. The appropriate phrase, until the speech police got involved, was mentally retarded. One would no more go and pull a child out of class and call him retarded than they would go and pull him out and call him fat. But may you would be okay with calling him horizontally challenged?

So let me get this straight...it's okay for you to call people names, but no one else?

My point, which went straight over your head, is that kids will call the kid with dyslexia retarded. Because kids are mean. Just like they banter the word "******" around until they learn differently. Just a thought, let's try to get kids to stop using the word "******" AND "retard"!

And notice that the "douche canoe" sentiment was a thought. Meaning that if you use the word "retarded", people are going to THINK that you are a "douche canoe". I will assume that this is the first time that you've heard that the word "retard" is unacceptable. The movement is growing momentum, so people will start correcting you soon when you use it. Just trying to save you from future embarrassment with your friends. You're welcome!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:22 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,907,338 times
Quote:

Directing the word at a person is much different than just saying it, as Katina said "this sweater is retarded" no the sweater can't be retarded, it just looks retarded.......the word never being directed at anyone. If someone were to I do believe other issues are going on.

To much time on your hands.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,253,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I like any word that offends people. this just made my list of words to say multiple times per day.
And what, exactly, do you think that charming personality trait makes you? Tough? Cool? Independent?

Newsflash. It just makes you a jerk.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,167,118 times
I'm annoyed by people that act overly sensitive and feel the need to complain about others saying inane words like "retarded." They should make an effort not to offend others with their overly emotional ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.