Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 11:46 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times

Advertisements

Attorney Gerry Spence on Congress: They have become the most powerful, the most skilled whores in the history of the world, piously, willfully screwing us under the bedcovers of government in the largest brothel in America: the Congress of the U.S.

You can even get arrested for picking up a hooker today, but not voting for these hookers, who are all corporate-owned!

Yes, it is the YOU's/Me's that put these characters into office so as the saying goes: point a finger and 4 fingers are pointed at yourself, so the anger needs to be divided. But perhaps not! One of the problems with political races: man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods! And? A lie is sweet in the beginning, sour in the end! Yup! It's that sweet tooth of the voters, part of the problem!

I have thought many times: Give them surprise lie detector tests at their political gatherings! But I'm a true crime reader, so that kills that idea, as there are sociopaths that can pass these tests with flying colors!

Some sense of comfort? Oscar Wilde: Nothing succeeds like excess!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 11:51 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Attorney Gerry Spence on Congress: They have become the most powerful, the most skilled whores in the history of the world, piously, willfully screwing us under the bedcovers of government in the largest brothel in America: the Congress of the U.S.

You can even get arrested for picking up a hooker today, but not voting for these hookers, who are all corporate-owned!

Yes, it is the YOU's/Me's that put these characters into office so as the saying goes: point a finger and 4 fingers are pointed at yourself, so the anger needs to be divided. But perhaps not! One of the problems with political races: man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods! And? A lie is sweet in the beginning, sour in the end! Yup! It's that sweet tooth of the voters, part of the problem!

I have thought many times: Give them surprise lie detector tests at their political gatherings! But I'm a true crime reader, so that kills that idea, as there are sociopaths that can pass these tests with flying colors!

Some sense of comfort? Oscar Wilde: Nothing succeeds like excess!

As George Bernard Shaw once said, “A government with the policy to rob Peter to pay Paul can be assured of the support of Paul.

Or H.L. Mencken, “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”

Or this profound truth from Alexander Tytler, “A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by dictatorship.”

Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
You know what I've noticed? With all of the venom spewed on this thread, it doesn't seem to be the independents who are spewing it.

Look at the previous post to find the biggest problem we have today. Ultimately, it's all about money... like I said in my first post. Elections are bought and sold, people will pay to support candidates they believe will give them the most generous kickbacks and benefits when elected, etc.

What I find strange, though, is how many law-abiding citizens vote for candidates who are favored by the cadre of individuals who will commit all kinds of voter fraud in their favor. Doesn't it make you stop and think - "man, people are committing fraud just to get this guy elected... maybe that's bad news for a good citizen such as myself and I should vote for someone else!"?!

Old 08-01-2013, 09:48 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I've been saying this for some time. People complain about these dirtbag politicians, point out that they're untrustworthy, and say that the bums need to be thrown out.
These same people then turn around and vote the incumbents back in again.
hey, i voted AGAINST gabriel giffords and her replacement ron barber. both of those idiots should never have been voted into office.

here are a few things mark twain had to say about congress;

Mark Twain quotations - Congress

a couple of my favorites;

Quote:
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
Quote:
All Congresses and Parliaments have a kindly feeling for idiots, and a compassion for them, on account of personal experience and heredity.
- Mark Twain's Autobiography; also in Mark Twain in Eruption

Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Lightbulb Did you ever stop to think that maybe YOU are the problem?

Yep!

For 4 decades, I voted GOP and never really thought much about it. I was just too busy with work, family, etc. Didn't have time to spend delving into politics.

Then that phony Iraq invasion woke me up and now I'll probably spend the rest of my life voting against every Republican for every office on every ballot.

Thanks for the wake-up call Dubya!

Old 08-02-2013, 06:43 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Analogy Time.
The US taxpayer is a hospital patient and the democrat and republican are two undertakers fighting over who gets his body. The libertarian is the doctor locked out of the room who's yelling instructions to the patient through the door on how to treat his illness and get well again. You hope he hears him and listens.....
The biggest laugh is when I hear someone say we need to end gridlock in Washington and have democrats and republicans put aside their differences and work together.
If you see two burglars in your house fighting over your valuables, you don't suggest they put aside their differences and work together so they can get more of your stuff and split it up evenly later. You chase them both out of your house....

Old 08-02-2013, 08:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Analogy Time.
The US taxpayer is a hospital patient and the democrat and republican are two undertakers fighting over who gets his body. The libertarian is the doctor locked out of the room who's yelling instructions to the patient through the door on how to treat his illness and get well again. You hope he hears him and listens.....
From my view, libertarians are witch doctors who think that dancing around chanting "gold," "oogaa booga," "debasement," "oogaa booga" "hyperinflation," has anything to do with the economy we have.

I don't see anything in libertarian thought that has any meaning for today's fiscal or monetary economics. They believe in slashing spending during a recession and believe we should switch to a monetary system based upon a shiny yellow metal. These are the people claiming that we would be like Greece -- Greece I tell you. They are the inflationistas, driven by politics and psychology rather than anything recognized as analysis.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:22 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Analogy Time.
The biggest laugh is when I hear someone say we need to end gridlock in Washington and have democrats and republicans put aside their differences and work together.
If you see two burglars in your house fighting over your valuables, you don't suggest they put aside their differences and work together so they can get more of your stuff and split it up evenly later. You chase them both out of your house....
no, you shoot them both an dlet the cops drag them out of your house, unless you live in new york or chicago, then you just let them do what they want and call the cops afterwards, and you second call is to your insurance company.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:30 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,702 times
I've considered the Libertarian party but I have had some issues with libertarian-slanted candidates and the libertarian platform. I think the libertarian platform swings the pendulum too far in the opposite direction. I like most of it but some of it is simply unworkable in today's world. For example, they favor legalization of drugs for recreational purposes. So would I, in an ideal world, even though I've never used drugs nor do I ever intend to use drugs. The problem is that people under the influence lose their grip on reality and whatever moral sense they have while sober... and in that altered state, they are much more likely to do harm to themselves or others. If that harm were criminalized and discouraged to as much of an extent as possible, I would say go for the legalization. But these people still get "free" medical care (read: paid for with money that has been legally robbed from YOU through taxation) if they harm themselves and can't pay the medical bills associated with whatever care they need post-harm... and they don't get punished severely enough for harming others. Case in point - I was involved in an accident on account of a severely drunk driver, 7 years ago. My car was totaled, her car was totaled, one of her passengers got a brain injury, and another of her passengers got a broken shoulder. Her punishment was two weeks in jail. Maybe she lost her license for a while, maybe she had to pay some restitution... but really... only two weeks in jail? How about two YEARS in solitary confinement, personal financial restitution in the full amount of all financially quantifiable damage as well as for pain and suffering (a requirement which could not be discharged in bankruptcy), and a lifetime ban from driving? I'd bet THAT would make some people think twice before drinking large quantities of alcohol! I don't care what someone does in his own privacy if it neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg (as Thomas Jefferson once so eloquently said)... but free medical care for these people who screw themselves up picks my pocket. That car accident may not have broken my leg or any other part of me, but it sent my beloved first car, a classic 1972 Cadillac, to that great junkyard in the sky with only about $1,600 in paltry recompense. This illustrates the problem with certain libertarian ideals. The ideals are great if they are accompanied by draconian penalties for any material infractions upon the basic rights of others.

And then there have been libertarian Republicans, such as Ron Paul. I liked him for a while when I was watching the Republican primary debates before the nomination and election... but then he went and said something monumentally stupid and I totally ignored him from then on.

In my opinion, the Libertarian party favors too little government and as a Christian man, I cannot accept some of its "live and let live" policies which seem to make no clear distinction between "morally right" and "morally wrong". It seems to be a morally relativistic platform which I can't support. At least the Republican party has a platform which appears to be right on track, regardless of how well its elected politicians carry out that mission (which is frequently quite poor).

Maybe that's another problem. Maybe people don't feel that the alternative parties are all that great either. I suppose I should do more research into minor parties, but then again, is that not another offshoot of the main problem? I don't do enough research... most people don't do enough research... and we end up voting for an "R" or a "D" regardless of whether or not other minor-party candidates with more attractive platforms exist. Shame on me. And on anyone else who is guilty thereof.

Old 08-02-2013, 04:17 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

In my opinion, the Libertarian party favors too little government and as a Christian man, I cannot accept some of its "live and let live" policies which seem to make no clear distinction between "morally right" and "morally wrong". It seems to be a morally relativistic platform which I can't support. At least the Republican party has a platform which appears to be right on track, regardless of how well its elected politicians carry out that mission (which is frequently quite poor).

That same Republican Party will count on you, as a Christian man, to be duped into supporting them each election cycle. They'll promise you good things, say the right words, pretend to be Christian themselves, and then, once safely ensconced in office, will drop you like a hot potato. In the lead up to the next election, they'll repeat the cycle.
I've seen this happen so many times that it maddens me that fellow Christians keep falling for it time and time again.
There's an old saying that applies here. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

P.S. - I can't understand why you'd stop listening to Ron Paul after he said one thing you disagree with. How many things would Mitt Romney have to say before you stopped listening to him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies