Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times

Advertisements

Exclusive: U.S. Will Now Let in Thousands of Syrian Refugees - Foreign Policy, August 8, 2013

I read a couple of weeks ago that they were getting ready to start bring Syrian refugees to the USA. European countries are taking more than we are, but only on a temporary basis - those that come to the USA will be permanent residents. The US Taxpayer will pick up the full tab on their re-settlement, just as we did with the Chechen Tsarnaev family when they came here as Refugees.

We will start with about 2,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 06:13 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Let the religion of peace take in their own refugees some of those countries can afford to do it. Why should it be us?

Old 08-09-2013, 07:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
There are 1.8 million looking to settle in other countries.
Other countries are taking in refugees but they are also overwhelmed with immigrants just like us.
Germany agreed to take in 5000 and that's it. I don't know what the US agreed to.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
i don't have a problem with this.

america should take on a little more responsibility for refugees. we have plenty of room for them, unlike some of these far smaller european countries that are bursting at the seams trying to assimilate refugees.

chances are good that my ancestors let your ancestors in .... you swarthy huns , wops, and irishmen...

Old 08-09-2013, 07:38 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Let them go elsewhere. Their problems are not ours. Many will come here and start blowing stuff up. GUARANTEED!

Old 08-09-2013, 07:39 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,935,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

america should take on a little more responsibility for refugees. we have plenty of room for them, unlike some of these far smaller european countries that are bursting at the seams trying to assimilate refugees.

chances are good that my ancestors let your ancestors in .... you swarthy huns , wops, and irishmen...
Haha, true.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:41 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post

Who says we aren't ?

That amnesty bill will pass. And we're doubling all the various work visas.
We take in refugees from Haiti, Cuba, Somalia, etc.

Over 33% of the people living in the US speak a language other then English in the home.
While Spanish is the dominent one it is not the only one.

The issue that needs to be addressed though is the increasing need for welfare for them.
$1 trillion spent in means tested welfare programs in 2011 and growing at 20% annually.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Let them go elsewhere. Their problems are not ours. Many will come here and start blowing stuff up. GUARANTEED!

You've got an Afghanni interpreter who, during a battle and under enemy fire, helped carry wounded and dead Americans to an extraction point and who also applied for a visa to enter the U.S. three frigg'n years ago, on the run and in hiding with his family from the Taliban right now.

His case has been pushed and sponsored by your generals in the field and a medal of honour winner who was involved in that battle, but his visa has been stalled (3 years) while the State dept., attempts to guarantee he would be a worthy candidate.

I guess risking your life to help save American soldiers lives doesn't qualify as a notch on the worthiness scale but a bunch of Muslim devotees who would like to gut you in your sleep will be fast tracked. Cripes!

I think it's time you told Washington to revisit Webster's for the definitions of Friends versus Enemies. They seem to have the two completely reversed.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Who says we aren't ?
No one says we aren't; I'm saying we aren't doing enough.

Quote:
That amnesty bill will pass. And we're doubling all the various work visas.
Amnesty for illegal immigrants, and work visas for the highly skilled, are a totally different issue than political refugees.

In fact, I do not support increased work visas or amnesty. I do support increased asylum laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We take in refugees from Haiti, Cuba, Somalia, etc.
Most come from Burma, Bhutan, and Iraq.
http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/assets/s...fa_fr_2011.pdf

There is a family of Burmese refugees living in my friend's neighborhood, for instance.

Quote:
Over 33% of the people living in the US speak a language other then English in the home.
This is completely irrelevant to the topic of refugees.

Quote:
The issue that needs to be addressed though is the increasing need for welfare for them.
$1 trillion spent in means tested welfare programs in 2011 and growing at 20% annually.
I already explained to you yesterday that this "$1 trillion / year" claim is false, or at the very least a HUGE exaggeration; yet I see you still throw it around as fact.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:44 AM

39,869 posts, read 26,508,031 times
I have to wonder...what in the F is wrong with the people that set our immigration policy? People screw up their own country and turn it into a craphole where no one wants to live...then they want to escape the results of their actions by moving here. Why in the heck are we letting in these people, often with no skills or abilities useful to this country? Instead, why are we not allowing people with masters and PHDs in technical fields to stay?

The only exceptions should be for foreigners that have assisted the US military in a war zone, or certain other specific cases. Not just because "their life sucks".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies