Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2013, 10:01 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I did notice that Newark has Churches but not Mosques. Are you suggesting that there is not enough religion in Newark and that we must build mosques, temples, etc.?
Newark Mosques in Newark NJ Yellow Pages by Superpages
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I did not expect that to be taken so seriously. Newark is huge. I'm sure there's every denomination there. Plenty of churches exist.

Suggesting that the lack of religion contributed to its current state is silly.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:26 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
The United States was not founded on religion.
True. Freedom FROM religion was the basis. HOWEVER, freedom OF religion is also as important.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
I did not expect that to be taken so seriously. Newark is huge. I'm sure there's every denomination there. Plenty of churches exist.
I had to look, was curious myself just how many there might be, been away for a while.

Quote:
Suggesting that the lack of religion contributed to its current state is silly.
I agree, and 'silly' is being charitable.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What on earth are you babbling about? Canada?
You try putting up a statue of Jesus up here at the DMV and there would be riots.
There is a large cross on top of the mountain (Mont-Royal) in Montreal at a public land. If you had that in the U.S. it would be forbidden, unconstitutional and removed, even if it was historic.

There are crucifix on courtrooms in Quebec. Some people may be angry, but it is still allowed.

Majority of Quebecers are Catholic, and there is no strict constitution with separation of church and state in Canada, why would it be prohibited and people be angry?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:43 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,259 times
^ Newark, NJ has much more churches than mosques or temples. More than 90% of religious places of worship are churches in the U.S. and it makes sense because there are only 2% Jewish and 0.6% Muslims.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I demand that a statue of THOR be placed by every stop sign. Hee hee.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
There is a large cross on top of the mountain (Mont-Royal) in Montreal at a public land. If you had that in the U.S. it would be forbidden, unconstitutional and removed, even if it was historic.

There are crucifix on courtrooms in Quebec. Some people may be angry, but it is still allowed.

Majority of Quebecers are Catholic, and there is no strict constitution with separation of church and state in Canada, why would it be prohibited and people be angry?
Canada has monarchs on its currency too, what's good for Canada isn't necessarily good for America.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:15 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenika View Post
Why is there separation of church and state in the United States? It seems like the government promotes atheism which is unfair too. It is quite sad that we cannot put Christian symbols in the public square without being sued by non-Christians, teaching some religion, and observe more Christian holidays as national holidays. Why would people be bothered with having Jesus and/or Virgin Mary statue at city hall and local DMV?

I wish we had state church with still freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

I like the way the UK, Canada, Germany, Austria, Israel, etc. are.... - Both democracy and religion together.
Canada has separation of church and state so does the U.K cause our parliamentary system of government is based on the Westminster parliamentary style of government.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:16 AM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenika View Post
Why is there separation of church and state in the United States? It seems like the government promotes atheism which is unfair too. It is quite sad that we cannot put Christian symbols in the public square without being sued by non-Christians, teaching some religion, and observe more Christian holidays as national holidays. Why would people be bothered with having Jesus and/or Virgin Mary statue at city hall and local DMV?

I wish we had state church with still freedom of speech and freedom of religion.

I like the way the UK, Canada, Germany, Austria, Israel, etc. are.... - Both democracy and religion together.

Separation of church and state are inferred from the 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. It's not explicitly stated.

The U.S. Government is not by Constitutional Law officially atheist. That is what educated liberals trained in law want to make it.

On a note about law and lawyers: It would be impossible for lawyers to argue over laws if laws were in fact the deterministic equivalents of arithmetic. Who can argue over 2 + 2 = 4?

Additionally, to U.S. Common Law there is the principle of precedent.

When a precedent is set in a court decision other courts within that system are obliged to recognize it's decision in all other future cases.

So, basically, there are atheists that want to make the U.S. Government officially atheist like the old Soviet Union.

But more importantly the U.S. Constitution today is just about meaningless. There is debate as to whether "texualism" is to appropriate method of interpreting the U.S. Constitution or whether the conception of it's a "living document" is the best method for interpretation.

The "living document" method essentially renders the U.S. Constitution meaningless. Currently, this is the method the liberal justices use to interpret the U.S. Constitution. Essentially, it views the Constitution as an "evolving" document that can be construed to say whatever in the h__ll liberals of any time period want it to say. You want to f__ goats? The liberal justices will find something in the U.S. Constitution that gives people the right to f__ goats.

Here is what the U.S. Constitution says: U.S. Constitution - Amendment 1 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Did Congress make a law mandating Christian symbols in courts or in public buildings or on public property?

Does it explicitly state anywhere in that amendment "separation of church and state"? No, it's inferred. Just like you can infer from the text citizens of a town, under majority rule democracy, can place, not under law, but under public opinion, a cross on the lawn of some public property. That would be the free exercise of religion and respecting the will of the people in a given community.

However, by U.S. Constitutional Law the U.S. Government can not establish an official religion for the country.

But there are probably too many precedents court ordering religious symbols out of public spaces. So, all cases must respect and refer to the precedent in court rulings.

That's my understanding anyways...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies