Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post

""If you guys continue Neighborhood Watch, typically the garb is black-on-black-on-black with a black hoodie. This guy had a gray hoodie. But his pants were beige. Not exactly your prime suspect type," [Sanford Police Investigator] Serino said.

Serino then asks what was going through Zimmerman's head that night when he made the non-emergency call. Zimmerman then talks about an incident weeks before when he saw a black man wandering around the neighborhood looking in his neighbor's window.

"What did you see Trayvon doing that caught you as being suspicious?"

Zimmerman said Trayvon was looking at the same house he saw someone casing weeks before.

"You know you're gonna come under a lot of scrutiny under this, the profiling aspect of this. You understand that, right?" Serino asked.

"Yes," Zimmerman said.

"I got to ask that," Serino said. "Like I said this child has no criminal record whatsoever. Good kid. Mild-mannered kid."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ements-defense

Old 07-27-2013, 05:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
There is no evidence of a burglar here. The dog barked. The kid was leaving.

Even if a burglary had occurred, which it hadn't, I don't believe the appropriate penalty for burglary by a juvenile is the death penalty. Do you? You support the death penalty for juveniles who are found guilty of burglary without a weapon?

There is evidence of a murderer. I don't support murderers.
No, there is no evidence of a murder.

There is evidence of a homicide - and it could be justifiable.

Let's explore the possible reasons why the kid could have been in the yard without having burglary on his mind.

Drunk - where is the evidence?

On drugs - where is the evidence?

Wrong address - where is the evidence?

He thought that it was a 7-11 and was looking for Ski...oh, never mind.

Why do you think that he was in the yard?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:05 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,429,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by never-more View Post
It doesn't sound like it would be similar to Trayvon Martin The boy shot was trespassing private property while we definitely know Martin's encounter with Zimmerman occurred on public property.
Actually Trayvon was shot on private property owned by the Home Owner's Association.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:06 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,269,301 times
Quote:
He jumped the fence? Do you think that deserves the death penalty?

Do you think he, an unarmed kid, would have proceeded to burglarize the home with clear evidence that the owner was home? Plus a dog already barking? Do you really think that's the goal of most 14-year-old burglars---to get caught? Really?

Plus you can't kill someone for what you think they're going to do. And you can't kill someone for being in your backyard.
You sure about that?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
He jumped the fence? Do you think that deserves the death penalty?

Do you think he, an unarmed kid, would have proceeded to burglarize the home with clear evidence that the owner was home? Plus a dog already barking? Do you really think that's the goal of most 14-year-old burglars---to get caught? Really?

Plus you can't kill someone for what you think they're going to do. And you can't kill someone for being in your backyard.
Not my concerned. If he's on my property, uninvited at 2AM he will be told to freeze. If he makes any sudden movement he will be shot dead.

You can invite him in for tea if you like.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

""If you guys continue Neighborhood Watch, typically the garb is black-on-black-on-black with a black hoodie. This guy had a gray hoodie. But his pants were beige. Not exactly your prime suspect type," [Sanford Police Investigator] Serino said.

Serino then asks what was going through Zimmerman's head that night when he made the non-emergency call. Zimmerman then talks about an incident weeks before when he saw a black man wandering around the neighborhood looking in his neighbor's window.

"What did you see Trayvon doing that caught you as being suspicious?"

Zimmerman said Trayvon was looking at the same house he saw someone casing weeks before.

"You know you're gonna come under a lot of scrutiny under this, the profiling aspect of this. You understand that, right?" Serino asked.

"Yes," Zimmerman said.

"I got to ask that," Serino said. "Like I said this child has no criminal record whatsoever. Good kid. Mild-mannered kid."

George Zimmerman defense documents released - Orlando Sentinel
Um ok. I said Zimmerman observed Trayvon looking into homes. How does any of this refute that?

Old 07-27-2013, 05:10 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
I guess Louisiana doesn't have stand your ground.

A nonviolent burglar how quaint. Now the inevitable comparisons to Trayvon. Ironically enough when Zimmerman forst called 911 he observed Trayvon looking into homes just like this little thief.

See if he did racially profile maybe the kid wouldn't be on life support. Profile people.

Unarmed teen shot inside homeowner's fenced yard, but not breaking into home, NOPD warrant says | NOLA.com
Stand your ground is supposed to be when you feel you LIFE is in danger, not your property. None of you guys did anything wrong as teens, never trespassed, never took a candy bar from a store? My best friend and I once got drunk and pulled a bunch of flowers from someone's garden. Rotten, yes, and it's probably the thing I feel worst about doing as a kid, but I don't think we would have deserved a death sentence, but now I feel it could happen that way, and a bunch of people on forums would say "Well, they shouldn't have been trespassing!" I don't think burglary deserves a death sentence, either. I think this is crazy, nothing to celebrate here. IMO a sad day for all Americans. It's like the wild, wild west, and I find it frightening.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Stand your ground is supposed to be when you feel you LIFE is in danger, not your property. None of you guys did anything wrong as teens, never trespassed, never took a candy bar from a store? My best friend and I once got drunk and pulled a bunch of flowers from someone's garden. Rotten, yes, and it's probably the thing I feel worst about doing as a kid, but I don't think we would have deserved a death sentence. I don't think burglary deserves a death sentence, either. I think this is crazy, nothing to celebrate here. IMO a sad day for all Americans.
The kid is alive.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,656,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
No, there is no evidence of a murder.

There is evidence of a homicide - and it could be justifiable.

Let's explore the possible reasons why the kid could have been in the yard without having burglary on his mind.

Drunk - where is the evidence?

On drugs - where is the evidence?

Wrong address - where is the evidence?

He thought that it was a 7-11 and was looking for Ski...oh, never mind.

Why do you think that he was in the yard?
Let's say he had burglary on his mind. You can't kill someone who is on your property because you think they have burglary on their mind. Plus, he wasn't armed. There were lots of ways to get rid of this potential burglar other than shooting him. The owner was safe in his house, and had nothing to fear from this kid. This is not stand your ground. Stand your ground means you have to have reasonable fear of IMMINENT serious bodily injury or death---not just potential but imminent.

Old 07-27-2013, 05:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,611,203 times
Quote:
Um ok. I said Zimmerman observed Trayvon looking into homes. How does any of this refute that?
If you don't understand the difference between "looking at all the houses" and "looking into homes," I question whether or not you are proficient in the English language. Are you using Google Translate to make your posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies