Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:50 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

If property is the only risk, then it's not worth taking a life over. Property is either not worth a lot (cash on hand) or insured (jewelry, electronics, etc). I'd be more concerned with trying to make sure the thief gets their day in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
If a 12 year old pulled a gun on me and I had the time to get my gun out and kill him first that would be fine with me. You break in my house I have no problem killing you.
But what if the 12 year old was trying to rob you with his bare hands? Most adults can overcome a 12 year old with just pointing the gun or pistol whipping.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:52 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,037,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
If property is the only risk, then it's not worth taking a life over. Property is either not worth a lot (cash on hand) or insured (jewelry, electronics, etc). I'd be more concerned with trying to make sure the thief gets their day in court.
So if you're home alone and some guy kicks in your front door, he doesn't have a visible weapon but he tells you "**** and you won't get hurt" while he starts rummaging through your stuff. Your first thought is taking him to court?

Old 07-27-2013, 09:02 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I own some nice things, but none of them are worth taking a life for.

But if someone broke into my house, I think that means they are using force to steal - and they are prepared to hurt me.

Take my nice bike from the driveway - I'll call 911.

Take my stuff while I'm in the house, I'll defend myself (not my stuff).

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,778,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But what if the 12 year old was trying to rob you with his bare hands? Most adults can overcome a 12 year old with just pointing the gun or pistol whipping.
it is reasonable that I could over come him and it would not be justified but if he had a gun I have the right to shot him.

FYI the first thing you need to no is never pull your weapon unless you are going to use it never point it to scare someone.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
So if you're home alone and some guy kicks in your front door, he doesn't have a visible weapon but he tells you "**** and you won't get hurt" while he starts rummaging through your stuff. Your first thought is taking him to court?
I should spell it out more. My first inclination (after safety) is to pay attention to anything that can reveal who the guy is so he can later be caught and justice can be served. If I feel I can take him out, maybe I'll do that. Killing him is not my first inclination. My stuff is not on my mind... stuff is insured.

It's difficult to know what a person is thinking when they break into your home. Getting the **** out of there would be better than killing them.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Do you believe that "No piece of property is worth enough to take a life over"

I wouldn't want to take a life over property but it would depend on the situation as to whether they were breaking into my house or taking a rake from my yard, if they were breaking into my house i would not know why and yes i would shoot them.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Break into my home while I'm in it and you have forfeited your own safety regardless of why you forced entry. If you have a visible weapon you will be shot. If you make a move toward me or my wife, with or without a weapon you will be shot. If you reach toward your waistband , pocket or behind your back you will be shot. If you stop where you are when told, place your hands on top of your head, kneel down then lie face first on the floor when instructed to and stay put with your arms outstretched you will be held at gunpoint until law enforcement arrives. If you turn, run out of the house and keep going I hope you're arrested later.

Notice that property doesn't enter into the scenario. It's a matter of safety and security, not belongings.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 07-27-2013 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-27-2013, 09:17 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,822,893 times
In regards to just property, I would shoot if they tried to steal something like firearms.

I also might shoot if they were trying to steal something very valuable to me, and not replaceable, like some items handed down to me from generations ago, I be darned if I am going to let someone steal irreplaceable objects.

Also if I ever had some very valuable items stashed, valuable as in my life style will be altered a lot of stolen, like a million dollars worth of gold or something.

Other than that, I do not care. I do not car about to shoot over a TV, car, sofa, or whatever.

But if someone breaks into my home while I am there, I will assume they are there to harm me.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Break into my home while I'm in it and you have forfeited your own safety regardless of why you forced entry. If you have a visible weapon you will be shot. If you make a move toward me or my wife, with or without a weapon you will be shot. If you reach toward your waistband , pocket or behind your back you will be shot. If you stop where you are when told, place your hands on top of your head, kneel down then lie face first on the floor when instructed to and stay put with your arms outstretched you will be held at gunpoint until law enforcement arrives. If you turn, run out of the house and keep going I hope you're arrested later.
Sounds good to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies