Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't shoot someone to stop them from stealing property while running away or anything.

But if someone breaks in to your house, you should have zero obligation to take the chance that they won't harm you.

People who rail against lax self defense laws often like to make it about property; in most cases, it's not that simple.

You have the occasional case of some guy shooting an escaping burglar, but usually that's not how things go down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworent View Post
If my statement was true the kid would be killed because of bad parents in part that is what happened in my part of the world over the last year.
There are millions of "bad" kids with good parents. Only a fool believes that good parents will only produce good kids. Unfortunately, there is an abundance of fools, including those who think their kids who do wrong are more redeemable than the children of other parents who do wrong. If I had a dime for every parent out here in the sticks who thinks their kids, despite all the trouble they have been in, are "good kids," I'd be a wealthy man. Interestingly, when their kids find themselves in a situation like you described, they want all the understanding and mercy in the world.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:44 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,860,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
There are millions of "bad" kids with good parents. Only a fool believes that good parents will only produce good kids. Unfortunately, there is an abundance of fools, including those who think their kids who do wrong are more redeemable than the children of other parents who do wrong. If I had a dime for every parent out here in the sticks who thinks their kids, despite all the trouble they have been in, are "good kids," I'd be a wealthy man. Interestingly, when their kids find themselves in a situation like you described, they want all the understanding and mercy in the world.
Well. That sucks for them.

I mean, if their kid is pulling guns on people, what happens just happens.

It's just parental instinct. Hardly surprising. But luckily it has no legal ramifications.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:46 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
It is definatly a gray area and I understand both sides of the argument.

I will say this

If you were able to shoot people for stealing things, very few people will be stealing things.
People steal things now because their are not consequences. The owner can't stop you (use a gun) and the police won't find you (they don't have the resources anymore). If you are a criminal why not steal things?

Old 07-27-2013, 10:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
I wouldn't shoot someone to stop them from stealing property while running away or anything.

But if someone breaks in to your house, you should have zero obligation to take the chance that they won't harm you.

People who rail against lax self defense laws often like to make it about property; in most cases, it's not that simple.

You have the occasional case of some guy shooting an escaping burglar, but usually that's not how things go down.
Yep.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:03 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,849 times
If someone broke into my house and I had a gun, I'd shoot them. However, say I'm sitting on my couch and I notice my neighbor's house is getting robbed, and they are walking out with his flat screen tv. I wouldn't shoot, because even though they are thieves and obviously scum, I wouldn't want the act of taking another life on my conscience. I don't think in a case like that, where property is being stolen and no one is being physically harmed warrants the use of deadly force.

Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times
If somebody tried to kill my family or in self defense. That's about it.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Old 07-27-2013, 11:50 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,782,576 times
Do you believe that "No piece of property is worth enough to take a life over"

Do the thieves believe that the property they are stealing, is worth losing their lives over?

We will give them the option of not trying to steal it.

What options are they giving us?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:45 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
I'm not killing anyone for anything less than making a physical threat to me or my family.

I'm not shooting anyone over 'stuff.' I can't live with that on my conscience.

Old 07-28-2013, 01:39 AM

21,468 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I should spell it out more. My first inclination (after safety) is to pay attention to anything that can reveal who the guy is so he can later be caught and justice can be served. If I feel I can take him out, maybe I'll do that. Killing him is not my first inclination. My stuff is not on my mind... stuff is insured.

It's difficult to know what a person is thinking when they break into your home. Getting the **** out of there would be better than killing them.
It's not that difficult to know what a person breaking into your home is thinking. If they break in while you're likely to be in the home, then they are probably willing to harm you in the process. I've known some rape victims, very brutal in nature. One was just watching tv on her couch when someone came out of her bedroom and tied her up with a phone cord (this was years ago), then raped and sodomized her and left with her tv, stereo, and whatever other valuables he could carry out the door easily.

Another was a girl and her boyfriend got forced at gunpoint into an empty warehouse and brutally raped by five guys for over eight hours (yes, both the boy and girl were raped, every which way).

I'm not going to assume the person(s) is/are just there to take my stuff. I'm going to assume he/they may rape or kill me in the process. Sorry, that's just what my and my friends' life experiences have instilled in me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies