Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 05:41 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who are "hip hop experts"?
Those who have done their research and know the history of hip-hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 09:16 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Eh, it's not at all hard to find people who address crime, unwed fathers, and the like in the past few years. Kendrick Lamar had an entire album about peer pressure, violence, and the like. Lupe Fiasco gets into it all the time. People got mad when Ludacris had an album on serious themes (because he's a funny punchline rapper - it's be like going to see Louis CK and him giving a lecture on how to raise children properly). Kanye West and Jay-Z addressed it on Watch the Throne (among other works).

More to the point, if some rappers are ignorant and wallow in violence...so what? You act like my 11pm news channels don't feature some old man next to some young, shapely woman. That's the nature of entertainment. I can appreciate both Fruitvale Station and Pacific Rim. Why can't I enjoy both Childish Gambino and 2 Chainz?

Old 08-01-2013, 11:23 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Addressing white on white crime gets you called racist....because you are only caring about white victims.
(We've had several theads about this around here about this like how missing black children don't get enough attention etc).
That's true. I've always wondered why that is. Is it because the parents distrust the media? Obviously, the Martin family figured out how to get the media to pay attention. Another thing I've noticed is that shows on ID Channel or 48 Hours seem to focus more on white on white crimes (usually married couples).

Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who are "hip hop experts"?
Those of us that know something about the genre.

99% of the fools that drone on about rap don't know squat about the music. Gangster rap has been dead for over a decade. You can't even find it on a radio station anymore.

Stick to Lawrence Welk. Something more your speed.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Listen to Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T, Lupe Fiasco, Blu, Elzhi

those are newer artists (maybe not lupe so much..Elzhi either) that speak out against it.

then you have the ones who came around the same and well after the Self Destruction track and stayed relevant for a long time after

Black Sheep
Common
The Roots
Tribe Called Quest
Ras Kass (abrasive but never talked about guns)
Dead Prez
Jeru The Damaja
Gang Starr
Main Source/Large Professor
Outkast
Ed O.G
Brand Nubian
Slum Village
Pete Rock & CL Smooth

then the icons like KRS and Public Enemy

also Rakim....Rakim never talked about guns or drugs..

Hell, even Ice Cubes solo work was real art...he talked about violence but it wasn't glorified...he did it right.

it's just that sex, drugs and violence sells..

Old 08-02-2013, 02:06 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Those were to good ol' days when Bush 1 and the GOP declared war on the 1st amendment and the music industry, blaming them for the crime in the nation.
Don't forget Al Gore and his wife Tipper

Old 08-02-2013, 07:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Listen to Kendrick Lamar, Big K.R.I.T, Lupe Fiasco, Blu, Elzhi

those are newer artists (maybe not lupe so much..Elzhi either) that speak out against it.

then you have the ones who came around the same and well after the Self Destruction track and stayed relevant for a long time after

Black Sheep
Common
The Roots
Tribe Called Quest
Ras Kass (abrasive but never talked about guns)
Dead Prez
Jeru The Damaja
Gang Starr
Main Source/Large Professor
Outkast
Ed O.G
Brand Nubian
Slum Village
Pete Rock & CL Smooth

then the icons like KRS and Public Enemy

also Rakim....Rakim never talked about guns or drugs..

Hell, even Ice Cubes solo work was real art...he talked about violence but it wasn't glorified...he did it right.

it's just that sex, drugs and violence sells..

Lupe is OK.. Liked Black Sheep, as well as Outkast. There first album Southernplaylisticcadillacmuzik was good.

I liked Ice Cube too, as he was very political, as was NWA. They weren't glorifing violence as you said, but rapping about what they saw growing up.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
First rap song I ever heard was way back in the early 70s and it was by a white guy. It was called "Convoy". It was a song about people fighting the cops and being criminals doing what they wanted to do. I'd be surprised if no modern rapper did their version of the song. Change the beat and speed up the tempo and it's a new song.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:16 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Those were to good ol' days when Bush 1 and the GOP declared war on the 1st amendment and the music industry, blaming them for the crime in the nation.
and the FCC would go after anyone who dare said a curse word or made a sexual reference on radio.

You know that small less intrusive Government Conservatives love...

Old 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,273 times
There are tons of modern rappers that still address it. Sadly, in the words of Macklemore, "Violence, drugs, and sex sells."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies