Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 03:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Many of the voter registrations already require SS# or drivers licenses and an address. The effectiveness of voter ID's would depend on the clarity and the ability of the polling employees, also not clear if the frequency of updates, hard to tell from a picture that is several years old. How do they establish the validity of an absentee ballot.
Actually the system is easily beaten for absentee. You can easily register by mail and then vote absentee. They send the absentee ballot to the registered address.

One of the local bars had an issue and registered dozen of clients at the bar. The plan was to vote all the ballots as desired. Broke down when voting people picked up the large number of applications from a single address.

Other famous one was a local Republican poll worker who decided to demonstrate how bad the system was broken. She got challenged and lacked the good sense to back down. I believe they let her plead to a dismissible misdemeanor rather than the felony initially charged.

Much of the goings on is obvious but difficult to prove. Some politically connected households have everyone registered through three generation and the cat. Can sway a local election sometimes.

Last edited by lvoc; 07-28-2013 at 03:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 03:13 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
When can we expect him to file suit against Illinois?

What is your contention for displying district maps? Districts are whacky or there was a concerted effort to dilute votes?

Old 07-28-2013, 03:31 PM

57,280 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
The "picture" should be a lot easier on the poll workers that have "clarity and ability" issues. Absentee voting in Texas is still done in person, it's just early voting - A Picture I.D. is still verified.
Vote by Mail is different - no Picture I.D is required.

This is a losing issue for Leftists - the public is overwhelmingly in favor of Picture I.D. for voting - Leftists and Winger Dems are running a big risk over fighting this so hard. Many States already have it and there are no problems. The US Supreme Court has already approved Picture I.D. for voting. The perception is going to take hold that Leftists and Democrats don't want a Picture I.D because they do want to commit Voter Fraud. Doesn't matter whether they "do" want that or not ..... that's the way it's beginning to look to a lot of people. The public wants this.
The recent ruling was on the preclearance requirement, the Supreme Court did not "approve" voter ID's although some states have them with qualification. The PA voter ID's are still in the courts, and the decisions are based on law, not the popularity.

The rumor is that the GOP wants to reduce voter fraud, that is fiction as what they really want to do is eliminate elderly and poor from voting, they have already indicated this will tilt the election. Their goal is to make it as difficult as possible on the demographic that supports the democrats, mission accomplished.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM

59,045 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Mister View Post
So those few whose right to vote is potentially taken away doesn't matter? Oh, it will matter to the judge.
"right to vote is potentially taken away"

I hate to burst your bubble but, there is "potential" in everything.

The next election is 1 and a half years away. The President is 3 and a half. If you can't find someone to get you a ride in that time you don't want to vote very much. Get real!

Old 07-28-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Holder is not going after the Voter ID law.
Holder is going after redistricting.

There are groups of people who don't like the new Texas redistricting lines.

Lloyd Doggett will get parts of San Antonio.
Doggett typically represents Austin.
The Hispanics want Doggett out because they say it's not fair because they want an Hispanic representing them.
As I have posted before, the dems had no problem with redistricting for the 40 YEARS THEY controlled the House.

My ex county is a perfect example. The repubs were gaining in R registration so what did the "I care about the people" do? They split the county 4 ways putting each of the 4 areas into heavily dem districts, diluting any possibility that a repub could win.

The sanctimonious attitude shown NOW is sickening.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I already have and provided a neat little list of links that confirms that the right wing "voter fraud" BS is just that...BS. Read the links or don't...your choice.
Sorry, your "sources" have NO credibility.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Hey, let's be fair. Redistricting is done on both sides, unfairly all the time. I never understood why the drew the Doggett map like that. They should have let the Valley have their guy (although I'm sure he was stealing probably got caught etc.)
I agree but, to be fair how many times in the last 50 years have the repubs been in control of the House after a Census?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:02 PM

808 posts, read 662,640 times
Quote:
Obama and Eric Holder take on Texas and other states on voting | New Republic

They make some great points. Had they (N.C. and Texas) not rushed to put up these restrictions up immediately, they may have gotten their legislation passed and would not have other aspects questioned. Also, I would argue that the fact the whole voter fraud issue is a myth, it makes matters worse for TX and NC.

If you are going to argue that it is not a myth, please cite a source other than the Blaze or a red state spoon feeder. Try a neutral source Thank you in advance.
why should anybody cite a neutral site if you, yourself start with ******* one?

Old 07-28-2013, 05:40 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
the Supreme Court did not "approve" voter ID's although some states have them with qualification.
SCOTUS ruled back in 2007 voter ID is constitutional.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,268,656 times
Quote:
The recent ruling was on the preclearance requirement, the Supreme Court did not "approve" voter ID's although some states have them with qualification. The PA voter ID's are still in the courts, and the decisions are based on law, not the popularity.

The rumor is that the GOP wants to reduce voter fraud, that is fiction as what they really want to do is eliminate elderly and poor from voting, they have already indicated this will tilt the election. Their goal is to make it as difficult as possible on the demographic that supports the democrats, mission accomplished.
Sigh ...... google is your friend. Use it before you deny what most of us already know. This stuff has been going on for years - a lot of people (and I'm one of them) follow U.S. Supreme Court Rulings and Voter Laws.

Crawford v. Marion County Election Board, 553 U.S. 181 (2008), is a United States Supreme Court case holding that an Indiana law requiring voters to provide photo IDs did not violate the Constitution of the United States.

Indiana passed Voter I.D. in 2005, of course it wound up in court. Indiana was not a Pre-Clearance State ...... the court ruled in 2008. The case was accepted by the court in 2007.

Quote:
At trial, the plaintiffs were unable to produce any witnesses who claimed they were not able to meet the law's requirements. The defendants were likewise unable to present any evidence that the corruption purportedly motivating the law existed.

The District Court and 7th Circuit Court of Appeals both upheld the law. The circuit court was deeply divided, with the dissent characterizing the law as a thinly-veiled attempt to disenfranchise low-income Democratic Party voters.

In a 6-3 decision in 2008, the Supreme Court upheld the constitutionality of the photo ID requirement, finding it closely related to Indiana's legitimate state interest in preventing voter fraud, modernizing elections, and safeguarding voter confidence.
30 States have some form of "Voter I.D. -- 12 States have a law for a photo Voter I.D.
I repeat ..... the public is overwhelmingly in favor of a photo Voter I.D. law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies