Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2015, 08:16 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,483,779 times

Advertisements

300,000 a year is rich but not wealthy. Wealthy to me is Trump, Oprah or any other person making so much money that money is never an issue, ever.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
My husband and I make around $300K and I hardly would call us "rich". We are very comfortable and don't think about money, but we don't live RICH.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:26 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
My husband and I make around $300K and I hardly would call us "rich". We are very comfortable and don't think about money, but we don't live RICH.
But 300k per year as a household income IS rich. That's not even debatable. The amount of households in this country making that kind of dough is tiny. It's an elite group by definition.

I realize that the insane amount of billionaires has skewed our perception of what "rich" is, but folks are getting carried away.

If there's no zip code in this country that you can't afford to live in, that's RICH. I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
It's been asked at what salary level is someone considered rich, and there has been some very interesting insight.

My question is, if a family has a combined income of $300,000 a year, are they considered "rich". Of course everything is relative, but in most parts of the US is this considered wealthy?

While this figure is clearly a large sum, I think it depends how old one is when they earn this kind of money which determines whether or not they are rich. If it's someone in their 30's or even 40's, I would argue that they are affluent (not rich).

But if it's someone in their 50's or 60's (who has yet to pay off their mortgage, drives luxury automobiles, travels extensively, dresses to the nines, enjoys fine wine and food) I would say they are not.

Even though a salary of $300,000 puts one in the top .9% of US income earners, I still do not consider this figure to be "rich". Do you?
$300,000 would be a good down payment on a two million dollar mansion, and in Oklahoma that would buy a lot of mansion and make you look obviously rich.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:39 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,341,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

If there's no zip code in this country that you can't afford to live in, that's RICH. I don't know why that's so hard for people to understand.
You do not understand that those folks making 300k a year work for a living--------that is a salary and that is not RICH.

Those in the low brackets may not believe it, but 300k is not a lot of money.

Rich means you or your children or your descendants will never have to work.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
But 300k per year as a household income IS rich. That's not even debatable. The amount of households in this country making that kind of dough is tiny. It's an elite group by definition.

I realize that the insane amount of billionaires has skewed our perception of what "rich" is, but folks are getting carried away.

oh please , a household income of 300k is still middleclass...its NOT rich

the imaginary red line liberals want to paint for what is rich

taxes are based on household income

why always the discrimination from the liberals...tax the rich...what about fairness and equality

why the deception from the liberals...in the 1950's rich (top bracket) was household incomes over 380k...thats over 3 million in todays dollars...yet the liberals want to say 250k is rich???

a nassau county police officer(150k)((((a nassau police officer (regular PO , not a sergeant or a cpt) has a top pay after 6 years of 108k...the average PO makes 150k with basepay, overtime, and night dif ))))) married to a east meadow teacher (110k-150k depending on seniority )...is rich??? so we are saying that a workingclass cop married to a workingclass teacher is rich, because their household income crosses some magical line in the sand...very silly if you as me

remember the AMT...it was another liberal answer to tax the rich...now the middleclass gets hit with it

do you really think that all americans are blind to this....they may have given Pres. Obama a second chance...but they are not going to like the liberal typical answer of ..."well...we were going to tax the rich, now rich is defined as anyone with a job

should a NYC garbageman (PC TERM :satitation worker)(defiantly workingclass )(((( Garbage collectors, or sanitation engineers routinely make over $120K per year in places such as Seattle & NYC, and have been for several years. ))))) 100k plus....married to a east meadow(Nassau county) teacher (110k-150k)...be called rich??? so we are saying that a workingclass garbageman married to a workingclass teacher is rich, because their household income crosses some magical line in the sand

NYC bus mechanics make 45/hr...105k a year...plus overtime, night diff, etc

Old 08-30-2015, 09:00 PM

934 posts, read 595,410 times
Depends on the profession. According to some, a teacher making 65k is rich but a CEO making 300k isnt.

Conservative logic

Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
$300,000 would be a good down payment on a two million dollar mansion, and in Oklahoma that would buy a lot of mansion and make you look obviously rich.
Of course. Like i said (and you're reiterating here), there's no zip code in America that 300k doesn't buy access to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
You do not understand that those folks making 300k a year work for a living--------that is a salary and that is not RICH.

Those in the low brackets may not believe it, but 300k is not a lot of money.

Rich means you or your children or your descendants will never have to work.
There is no such definition of "rich" that says that you're only rich if your descendants never have to work. That's made up by people like you.

300k a year is an INSANE amount of income per week even after taxes. That's less than 2% of all American households. That's more than 3 times the median income in Beverly Hills, Ca. and more than $110k more than the average income in Beverly Hills.

You guys are being ridiculous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please , a household income of 300k is still middleclass...its NOT rich

the imaginary red line liberals want to paint for what is rich

taxes are based on household income

why always the discrimination from the liberals...tax the rich...what about fairness and equality

why the deception from the liberals...in the 1950's rich (top bracket) was household incomes over 380k...thats over 3 million in todays dollars...yet the liberals want to say 250k is rich???

a nassau county police officer(150k)((((a nassau police officer (regular PO , not a sergeant or a cpt) has a top pay after 6 years of 108k...the average PO makes 150k with basepay, overtime, and night dif ))))) married to a east meadow teacher (110k-150k depending on seniority )...is rich??? so we are saying that a workingclass cop married to a workingclass teacher is rich, because their household income crosses some magical line in the sand...very silly if you as me

remember the AMT...it was another liberal answer to tax the rich...now the middleclass gets hit with it

do you really think that all americans are blind to this....they may have given Pres. Obama a second chance...but they are not going to like the liberal typical answer of ..."well...we were going to tax the rich, now rich is defined as anyone with a job

should a NYC garbageman (PC TERM :satitation worker)(defiantly workingclass )(((( Garbage collectors, or sanitation engineers routinely make over $120K per year in places such as Seattle & NYC, and have been for several years. ))))) 100k plus....married to a east meadow(Nassau county) teacher (110k-150k)...be called rich??? so we are saying that a workingclass garbageman married to a workingclass teacher is rich, because their household income crosses some magical line in the sand

NYC bus mechanics make 45/hr...105k a year...plus overtime, night diff, etc
*SIGH*

I don't give a damn what a mechanic, teacher, or garbageman makes in NYC.

If you have a household income of 300k per year anywhere in America, you are not middle class or upper middle class by any stretch. That is rich. My goodness...less than 2% of American households make that kind of money making it an elite group now matter how you slice it.

Your views on this topic are political. Mine aren't. I'm stating the simple truth independent of political considerations.

Again, if there is no zip code in America that you can't afford, you are RICH. That's all there is to it.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blind melon View Post
Depends on the profession. According to some, a teacher making 65k is rich but a CEO making 300k isnt.

Conservative logic
They're being silly. When less than 2% of people make your salary(meaning that virtually EVERYONE you bump into doesn't make as much as you), there's no way in hell you can call yourself middle class. By definition, you're lying if you say so. It's rich in every zip code in this country.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:38 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Income doesn't make someone rich. Wealth does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies