Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 01:01 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,809,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
An embarassing interview by FOX cannot compare to the interviews with the likes of Bobby Rush, Shelia jackson Lee, Pelosi, wm jefferson, Hank Johnson, D wasserman schultz etc.
Like what? Interviews that fox did that were even worse than this? I'd love to see them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 01:27 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
The interview was poorly conducted, indeed.

As to the Islamist's book, no mention about his hypotheses having been peer reviewed. A telltale sign that such hypotheses haven't is when they get assembled into a book form, shrink-wrapped, and appear on the shelves of Barnes and Noble.

And if indeed they haven't been peer reviewed, the book might as well be shelved in the Fiction section.

Old 08-05-2013, 01:34 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
"Reza Aslan, a religious scholar with a Ph.D. in the sociology of religions from the University of California and author of the new book, “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,” went on FoxNews.com’s online show Spirited Debate to promote his book only to be prodded about why a Muslim would write a historical book about Jesus."

Watch the video. It seemed like all the interviewer was concerned with is why a Muslim is interested in the founder of Christianity.

Is This The Most Embarrassing Interview Fox News Has Ever Done
Jesus Christ! What part of, "I am a professor of religions" does this stupid bimbo not understand? Then she backtracks and says a christian CAN write about Mohammad, but a Muslim can't write about Christianity? Thank God that I don't watch Fox News often lol. Now I really want to read the book...

Old 08-05-2013, 05:24 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suffolk2010 View Post
"Reza Aslan, a religious scholar with a Ph.D. in the sociology of religions from the University of California and author of the new book, “Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth,†went on FoxNews.com’s online show Spirited Debate to promote his book only to be prodded about why a Muslim would write a historical book about Jesus."

Watch the video. It seemed like all the interviewer was concerned with is why a Muslim is interested in the founder of Christianity.

Is This The Most Embarrassing Interview Fox News Has Ever Done
The author doesn't know squat about who Jesus is, or the Bible. I don't care what he claims his so-called "credentials" are. Muslims have been fighting against Christians and Jews since their false "religion" was invented by Mohamed, their so-called "prophet."

Old 08-05-2013, 06:32 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,605,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
The author doesn't know squat about who Jesus is, or the Bible. I don't care what he claims his so-called "credentials" are. Muslims have been fighting against Christians and Jews since their false "religion" was invented by Mohamed, their so-called "prophet."
Must be why the author is married to a Christian and called Christianity "the greatest religion in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
As to the Islamist's book, no mention about his hypotheses having been peer reviewed. A telltale sign that such hypotheses haven't is when they get assembled into a book form, shrink-wrapped, and appear on the shelves of Barnes and Noble.
Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:42 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,934,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
Jesus Christ! What part of, "I am a professor of religions" does this stupid bimbo not understand? Then she backtracks and says a christian CAN write about Mohammad, but a Muslim can't write about Christianity? Thank God that I don't watch Fox News often lol. Now I really want to read the book...
Professor of religion.....where did he get he's education on RELIGION? He's a creative writer who has wrote his own opinion. One thing Christians are missing is he read the Bible and walked away mad, so mad he left Christinity. Most Christians don't even realize Muslims despise them for thinking Jesus was crucified, look it up sometime. This man wants to separate the Man from the Saviour Are Christians going to buy his book and support his discrediting Jesus the Saviour? Harvard can't even figure out how to teach religion and he says he's a religious professor, because of Harvard.

Why Harvard Students Should Study More Religion - Newsweek and The Daily Beast
Harvard's distaste for engaging with religion as an academic subject is particularly ironic, given that it was founded in 1636 as a training ground for Christian ministers. According to the office of the president, Veritas was only officially adopted as its motto in 1843; until then it had been Christo et Ecclesiae ("For Christ and the Church"). While it's true that other Ivy League colleges don't require undergrads to take religion (with the exception of Columbia, where readings in the mandatory Contemporary Civilization course include selections from Exodus, the Book of Matthew, Saint Augustine, and the Quran), it's fair to say that the study of religion at Harvard is uniquely dysfunctional.

His twitter account is nothing about supporting his book, he bashes fox most the time and even throws in some anti-Israel rants. The guy's rants seem to be more like a high school boy than a college professor.

From his book......he doesn't believe in the CHRISTIAN JESUS:
Writer and scholar Reza Aslan was 15 years old when he found Jesus. His secular Muslim family had fled to the U.S. from Iran, and Aslan’s conversion was, in a sense, an adolescent’s attempt to fit into American life and culture. “My parents were certainly surprised,” Aslan tells Fresh Air‘s Terry Gross. As Aslan got older, he began his studies in the history of Christianity, and he started to lose faith. He came to the realization that Jesus of Nazareth was quite different from the Messiah he’d been introduced to at church. “I became very angry,” he says. “I became resentful. I turned away from Christianity. I began to really reject the concept of Christ.” But Aslan continued his Christian scholarship, and he found that he was increasingly interested in Jesus as a historical figure. The result is his new book, Zealot: The Life and Times of Jesus of Nazareth — a historical look at Jesus in the context of his time and Jewish religion, and against the backdrop of the Roman Empire.

- See more at: Reza Aslan is No New Testament Scholar, and His New Book Zealot Is Nothing New | jeremy bouma

As one person notes, Aslan’s complete lack of awareness of Second Temple Judaism, 1st century politics, lazy and simplistic categories, and failure to interact with the latest historical Jesus scholarship, and more all betray his supposed credentials. -

John Dickerson writes that, “Media reports have introduced Aslan as a ‘religion scholar’ but have failed to mention that he is a devout Muslim. His book is not a historian’s report on Jesus. It is an educated Muslim’s opinion about Jesus — yet the book is being peddled as objective history on national TV and radio.” Dickerson makes it clear that this devout Muslim has every right to his own opinion about Jesus, and also express that opinion. But he goes on, recognizing how Aslan’s Muslim association is an important, if unannounced, factor in his new screed.

Zealot is a fast-paced demolition of the core beliefs that Christianity has taught about Jesus for 2,000 years. Its conclusions are long-held Islamic claims—namely, that Jesus was a zealous prophet type who didn’t claim to be God, that Christians have misunderstood him, and that the Christian Gospels are not the actual words or life of Jesus but ‘myth.’ These claims are not new or unique. They are hundreds of years old among Muslims. Sadly, readers who have listened to interviews on NPR, “The Daily Show,” Huffington Post or MSNBC may pick up the book expecting an unbiased and historic report on Jesus and first century Jewish culture.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:37 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Watching conservatives respond to non-orthodox views on Jesus is rather like watching teenage girls respond to someone hinting that Justin Bieber might not be the pinnacle of musical perfection.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:39 AM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
From his book......he doesn't believe in the CHRISTIAN JESUS:
Yes, such people exist. Shocking, innit?

Old 08-05-2013, 10:41 AM

331 posts, read 253,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And this claim comes from...?

Old 08-05-2013, 11:02 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Watching conservatives respond to non-orthodox views on Jesus is rather like watching teenage girls respond to someone hinting that Justin Bieber might not be the pinnacle of musical perfection.
Can't rep ya again for this succinct, accurate and simultaneously amusing observation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies