Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Why are there religious symbols at the Supreme Court??????
Because the religious are amazingly insecure about their beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 08:15 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
First Amendment is mandatory in states as well. Individual states are prohibited establish an official religion, or favoring one religion over another. Read the amendments and constitution, then come back.

Ohio or any other states are forbidden putting up a cross, star of David or Islamic moon on public land.
Wrong. Some states had an official religion long when Constitution was implemented. Again, this was when the Constitution was written. No one had a problem with it. Assuming they knew what they meant when they wrote it, it must be Constitutional.

Unless you can point to where the Constitution was amended????

Old 07-28-2013, 08:17 PM

694 posts, read 745,461 times
Quote:
Religious symbol at public land is unconstitutional.
A RELIGIOUS SYMBOL ON PUBLIC LAND IS NOT UNCONSTITUTIONAL. That is not what the first amendment says.

Charles Sands

Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Not an answer.

If it is unconstitutional to have a religious symbol on public property then why are there religious symbols at the Supreme Court of all places?

It is clearly Constitutional and does not establish religion.

People don't agree with something so they make up "Constutional law" to fit their personal opinions.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
An atheist group is up in arms over a Holocaust memorial set to be erected near the Ohio statehouse, calling the monument's design "exclusionary." That design is the work of architect Daniel Libeskind, who Salon identifies as a "big deal": He's the son of Holocaust survivors and redesigned Ground Zero. The Ohio memorial features walkways leading to two panels that form a Star of David—and that, considering the planned location, is a big no-no, according to the Wisconsin-based Freedom From Religion Foundation.

Atheists Fight Ohio Holocaust Memorial - Group says Star of David has no place on state grounds
I'm not of the Jewish religion and I have no problem with it. How does it exclude me?

Is anyone else getting tired of some of these atheists?

I mean they proselytize and demand the whole country through the local, state, and federal governments give first place of honor to their atheists beliefs.

They whine like little girls.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:21 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I say go ahead its a memorial just like that grave stone. Someone is always protesting something now days; nothing new in this attack on Jews.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:22 PM

694 posts, read 745,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Ha-ha. So, I guess many libs are insecure about their beliefs. I see bumper stickers out the butt on lib-owned cars.

Charles Sands

Old 07-28-2013, 08:23 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,651,885 times
Quote:
Religious symbol at public land is unconstitutional. No, this is not Anti-Semitic. As a Jew myself, we need to stop overusing that word as soon as Jews are criticized when breaking law.

Holocaust Memorials are mostly paid by public taxpayers money, and it is unfair for other religions or ethnicities holocaust and genocides. BTW millions of non-Jews also died during the Holocaust; why Jewish symbol only? Why in public land? Why in Ohio state? Holocaust did not happen in Ohio. Private memorials absolutely fine, but not public that did not happen in America.

I will write to the state and complain. I strongly support first amendment.
I agree with you.

1,999 posts, read 2,471,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It's a religious symbol on public land.
So?

The Star of David on a Holocaust memorial on public land is not establishing a state religion.

It is, however, the free exercise of religion. (Especially given religious people have to walk down and drive down public roads.)

U.S. Constitution - Amendment 1 - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Not an answer.

If it is unconstitutional to have a religious symbol on public property then why are there religious symbols at the Supreme Court of all places?

It is clearly Constitutional and does not establish religion.

People don't agree with something so they make up "Constutional law" to fit their personal opinions.
I never said it was unconstitutional. I was speaking to your ignorance on how interpretation of the Constitution works. See, your relationship with the Constitution is not unlike your relationship with the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies