Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
I don't care. I support Scott's decision.

Well, good for you.

I don't, well didn't, because it looks like he reversed himself in June. Hopefully he won't change is mind again.

Florida reverses course and reaches deal with Amazon | Ocala.com

Gov. Rick Scott, who just a few weeks ago had rejected a deal with the Seattle-based company, announced Thursday that the company has now pledged to come to the state. The move will mean thousands of jobs and more than $300 million spent on new warehouses between now and 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
[/b]

What are you talking about? Many Americans are hard workers it's just hard to compete with the world labor market when the standard of living and laws are so much different elsewhere. I wouldn't call 40k yearly after 10 years on the job really making it either. 40k in California is much different than 40k somewhere like Mississippi.
Excuse me my business is in the central valley of California buddy. Read the post again over 40K, one of them makes over 50K. Also not every home has to be in a 500k subdivision. Two of them got their GED's because of my prodding. One of them has started college at night and online.

Where do you people come from.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:36 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,662,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
They're gearing up for same-day delivery. Those of you who whined and complained about how 'unfair' it was that Internet retailers were able to 'get away with' not charging sales tax, which you purported hurt the local mom & pop shops are going to get what you wanted. Amazon will start charging sales tax. They're also going to decimate the very mom & pop shops you thought you were helping by demanding that Internet retailers start collecting sales tax...

This is a great example of people demanding things when they have NO idea what the consequences will be, even though those consequences should be reasonably obvious. Kind of like when they re-elected Obama...
Uh, have you ever shopped on Amazon? They don't manufacture anything. Those Mom and Pop outfits manufacture or import whatever and then sell it on Amazon, many of them from right here in the good old US of A. Without the Mom and Pop, Amazon doesn't exist. If you are a Mom and Pop USA start up with a product, then Amazon is the place to sell and grow your market. It is the key to your success.
I just bought a Crimson Trace laser from Amazon and it was..........wait for it..........originated from a mom and pop store here in the US.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:38 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Excuse me my business is in the central valley of California buddy. Read the post again over 40K, one of them makes over 50K. Also not every home has to be in a 500k subdivision. Two of them got their GED's because of my prodding. One of them has started college at night and online.

Los Angeles, where 40K is barely getting by

Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
[/b]

Los Angeles, where 40K is barely getting by
I have family members that live in LA where two parents making 40-60K bought their own homes, raised kids and sent them to college within the last 20 years.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:43 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Do you argue just for arguments sake? Read the article again, Chuck. Governor Scott turned the deal down. Jesus.

another article:

Gov. Scott's justification for rejecting Amazon, jobs, revenueis unreasonable | Bradenton Herald Editorials | Bradenton Herald

It's impossible to fathom the tortured logic that Gov. Rick Scott expressed in rejecting a sure-fire jobs initiative from none other than Internet retail giant Amazon. The Seattle-based enterprise offered to build one or two warehouses in Florida with anticipated employment up to a whopping 2,500.

and another:

Gov. Rick Scott Rejects Deal to Bring Internet Retailer Amazon to Florida | NBC 6 South Florida

Florida Gov. Rick Scott is rejecting a proposed deal to bring major Internet retailer Amazon.com to the state.

Scott rejected an agreement that would have led to the construction of Amazon warehouses in Florida. The warehouses could have created up to 2,500 jobs in the state.
From the article YOU provided.....

I quoted where they are talking again, it in the article YOU provided....Reading comprehension is not working for you, is it. Here I will post it again, from YOUR article YOU provided:

Quote:
This time around the company was able to win over some of the opponents.

Randy Miller, an executive vice president at the Florida Retail Federation, told
the governor’s office earlier this year that it could accept the
arrangement.

“Our objection to that date initially is that it
would have given them one
more Christmas season without collecting the tax,â€
Miller said. “But the closer
we got to the date – and as aggravating as it
is – we finally said `ok, that’s
fine with us.“’

The deal
appeared poised to go through because documents obtained by The
Associated
Press show that the Department of Revenue briefed the staff of Chief

Financial Officer Jeff Atwater about the potential deal. Atwater is one of
four
elected officials who oversee the department.

Remember YOUR article....^^^^^

Old 07-29-2013, 01:46 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Well, good for you.

I don't, well didn't, because it looks like he reversed himself in June. Hopefully he won't change is mind again.

Florida reverses course and reaches deal with Amazon | Ocala.com

Gov. Rick Scott, who just a few weeks ago had rejected a deal with the Seattle-based company, announced Thursday that the company has now pledged to come to the state. The move will mean thousands of jobs and more than $300 million spent on new warehouses between now and 2016.
I just told you this....in the article in your FIRST link stated this very thing....

I guess you really did not read the first link you provided.....

Old 07-29-2013, 01:50 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,133,169 times
Quote:
I have family members that live in LA where two parents making 40-60K bought their own homes, raised kids and sent them to college within the last 20 years.
I don't doubt you. Cost have quickly outpaced salaries in the LA metro. If you bought prior to 98 you are good. If you try to buy now you better have $500,000 for something good.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:27 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:

COL is relative to the place you live. In LA/NYC/Chi-Town for instance COL would be higher but if you live Sheboygan, it would be dramatically less.

Quote:
But that could be 40K for one person rather than 40-60K for two which is anywhere from 80K-120K combined. That's double to triple the income of one person.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:10 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,881,259 times
Amazon offers horrible low wages and bad working conditions anyway
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies