Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 01:35 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,623,002 times

Advertisements

In my experience usps is great, far better than the other guys. Never get anyone else's mail, and if the mail man is dropping a large package to me and sees me outside, he will come over to me to hand deliver it and all of my regular mail.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The constitution requires the federal government to operate a post office so it will never go out of business.

The service in just about all government agencies is lousy because there is no incentive to be friendly and efficient. They will get their funding regardless. This is something that leftists have some kind of a mental block about.
"The constitution requires the federal government to operate a post office".

To nitpick the Constitution says NOTHING about operating a Post Office.

It says, " to ESTABLISH Post Offices and Post roads".

Old 07-29-2013, 02:38 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I like my people at my post office. They know me by name and I never have any problems with them. Otherwise, seeing as how so few people actually mail letters anymore and emails and texts are the way people communicate, it's time to restructure the postal system.
See this is my dilemma as well. I USE our local post office quite a bit because I have family and friends scattered from Guam to Belgium and all points in between, and I mail a lot of packages. So I go in there pretty regularly, and the people there are so friendly and personable. I hate to get them in trouble, but DAMN.

I also receive lots of packages because I live in a small town and I use Amazon and eBay for lots of my personal shopping.

It's a hot mess!

Old 07-29-2013, 02:39 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
I blame the postal workers NOT the post office for stupidity of the postal workers. The post office likely doesn't get enough calls to let them know that little Johnny is a screw up and should be sacked.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:44 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
FedEx is my favorite, hands down.
Kathryn, did you know?

If you order something online, and your retailer/seller says it's being shipped by FEDEX, chances are the USPS is carrying the package.

FedEx uses the postal service to deliver its packages? - ABestWeb Affiliate Marketing Forum

FedEx Is Top U.S. Postal Service Contractor for 10th Consecutive Year | News | Husch Blackwell LLP

FedEx Wins New 7-Year Contract With USPS | InvestorPlace

Old 07-29-2013, 02:51 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,685,319 times
Welcome to the revolution. You are right, they do deserve to go out of business.

Seinfeld - Kramer vs. mail - YouTube

POSTAL EMPLOYEE: May I help you?

KRAMER: Yeah, I'd like to cancel my mail.

POSTAL EMPLOYEE: Certainly. How long would you like us to hold it?

KRAMER: Oh, no, no. I don't think you get me. I want out, permanently.

NEWMAN: I'll handle this, Violet. Why don't you take your three hour break? Oh, calm down, everyone. No one's cancelling any mail.

KRAMER: Oh, yes, I am.

NEWMAN: What about your bills?

KRAMER: The bank can pay 'em.

NEWMAN: The bank. What about your cards and letters?

KRAMER: E-mail, telephones, fax machines. Fedex, telex, telegrams, holograms.

NEWMAN: All right, it's true! Of course nobody needs mail. What do you think, you're so clever for figuring that out? But you don't know the half of what goes on here. So just walk away, Kramer. I beg of you.

SUPERVISOR: Is everything all right here, Postal Employee Newman?

NEWMAN: Yes, sir, I believe everything is all squared away. Isn't it, Mr. Kramer?

KRAMER: Oh, yeah. As long as I stop getting mail!

KRAMER: (handing out anti-mail pamphlets) Here you go. Mail is evil. Pass it on. Hey, mail blows. Fax it to a friend.

WOMAN: Why does this dummy have a bucket on its head?

KRAMER: Because we're blind to their tyranny.

WOMAN: Then shouldn't you be wearing the bucket?

KRAMER: Yeah. Move along, Betty.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:57 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
The service in just about all government agencies is lousy because there is no incentive to be friendly and efficient. They will get their funding regardless. This is something that leftists have some kind of a mental block about.
The post office doesn't get "funding", it pays it's own way from it's own revenues. A fact that righties have some kind of a mental block about.

Old 07-29-2013, 02:58 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well I've lived in the same house for over 20 years. With UPS and Fedex, my bf and I will use the tracking numbers to follow the package until the delivery date. We'll be at home waiting for our parcel when suddenly the update is a delivery exception such as our address is incorrect (when it's not) or that we weren't at home (but we were). And when they claim that we weren't at home, there is no hang tag on our door knob, so no evidence that the delivery man was ever there.

We live near a town line, so that may be part of the problem. And even after the driver finds us, these drivers change routes so often that we get lost in the system again. And I've begged UPS and Fedex to put a note in the system next to our address, but they won't.

Anyway, the UPS and Fedex delivery people are chronic liars and that really bothers me.

I like my people at my post office. They know me by name and I never have any problems with them. Otherwise, seeing as how so few people actually mail letters anymore and emails and texts are the way people communicate, it's time to restructure the postal system.
Many never knock on the door. Lately they leave the box outside the door and run away. For us, this is a big problem. We live in a trailer park and don't have a cover over the front door. Packages left outside the door can easily be seen by neighbors or people driving by. Been many years since we've had a note left on our door.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:00 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I blame the postal workers NOT the post office for stupidity of the postal workers. The post office likely doesn't get enough calls to let them know that little Johnny is a screw up and should be sacked.
They do, but you're complaining about a union employee to another union employee.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:08 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG, I can't believe the ineptitude of, not just our local office, but the USPS in general!

For years, I have defended the USPS, their prices, their service, etc, but I've finally had enough. Our local office is a cluster *&$#. We are constantly getting our neighbor's mail (which means that they're constantly getting ours, most likely). They have delivered packages and left them on the top of the mail box, right by the road, IN THE RAIN (it was a Kindle -yeah, thanks for that service).

Last month, we had our mail held for a week while we were on vacation. I got a call from our neighbor, who was also on vacation - in south Texas. She had my mail! How, you ask? Well, when her daughter in law went into the post office to pick up her mail for her, they gave her not only her parents' mail, but several other peoples' mail as well, all in a bundle. Apparently she didn't look thru it and just sent the package on to her parents. Thank goodness they are honest people - my mail included a DEBIT card, and social security information with my son's SS number on it. Oh, and a package from eBay.

Two weeks before that, they had delivered mail that was supposed to be being held. I only realized that because we left a day late and something just prompted me to go check that mailbox. FULL of mail that would have sat there, open to anyone who wanted to help themselves, for a week!

Last week, I received a notice to my neighbor - they had a package waiting for them at the post office. I think they would have liked to have known that (I took the notice to them).

TODAY I HAD TWENTY ONE PIECES OF MY NEIGHBORS' MAIL DELIVERED TO ME!!!!!

The only common denominator is that all the addresses delivered to me today end in a 7. Not that that should make any difference - the streets and names and other numbers are all different!!! Am I supposed to get in my car and drive around and re-deliver mail???

To add insult to injury, when you file a complaint online, you're told you will receive a response within one business day. Don't believe that. I had to make two phone calls, one to a big central complaint department (above a simple customer complaint) in order to get ONE return call from our local office - nearly three weeks later - to hear the excuse that "a temp we had working here must have made a mistake." Right.

I am so frustrated! There - that's my vent. Your thoughts?
Trust me, this is not a USPS problem, this is a problem with your local courier and local post office only. Mine is just fine and only make a mistake about once or twice a year. What do I do? Put the wrong letter back in my mailbox and I don't see it again. No need to to defund the entire agency because a few employees in one post office are screwing up. Are you the type of person that says McDonald's should go out of business entirely because the staff there get your order wrong? McD's makes far far more mistakes in one week than my USPS does in one year

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 07-29-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies