Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:03 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
You know, while it's possible this particular guy is a real dirt bag, the reality is relationships are a work in progress. You sure she doesn't share ANY blame for the failed relationship? I've noticed a trend in divorces, it's ALWAYS the other persons fault, ALWAYS.

My wife and I rarely argue anymore, but when we miss-communicate, there is always shared blame, it's never completely one sided.

We live with many modern conveniences, my grandmother talks about in the 1950's raising two kids in a 20x20 garage house where all 4 of them slept in the same room, her mixing up her own starch to press grandpa's shirts after walking (with the kids) to the help-your-self laundry. After coming home she had to hang the laundry to air dry, cook dinner (no microwave), give the kids a bath, clean up after dinner (she WAS the dishwasher). And yes, she only used cloth diapers.

I think the poor back then had it harder than the poor do today.
He is a dirt bag--I promise you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
We used to wash cloth diapers in salt water and hang em on the rigging to dry. Everyone took pictures of our Sailboat

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
A vinegar rinse will get rid of any build up.

20yrsinBranson
If you have hard water vinegar can make the build up worse.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:11 PM

808 posts, read 662,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree with this. I cloth diapers my youngest and it was cost effective AND she was potty trained at 18 months with minimal effort. I was a SAHM who, at the time, probably could have been on some sort of assistance but wasn't. I breastfed and cloth diapered to save money on baby expenses instead.

using cloth diapers doesn't take that much effort. You rinse them, then wash them and that's that.
when my son was a baby we lived where running water was only 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the evening - and we did not have the money for disposable diapers for the whole day ( we used disposable for the night) - now, that was a problem, because you had to catch that water time every day.

If one has water running all day long - there is no problem in cloth diaper cleaning.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:13 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Cloth diapering is much more complicated that just rinsing out a stinky diaper in the sink.

First, you need to do a cold pre rinse. Then, a hot rinse with a specific type of detergent (which can be $$$). Then another rinse to ensure there is not residue left on the diapers from said detergent. These are necessary steps, as not enough rinsing can lead to an ammonia buildup in the diapers. Most diapers can only be dried on a low heat setting, which takes much more time. I personally dry mine on a clothes line in the backyard. How much money do you think these steps require? Also, many Laundromats will not allow you to wash cloth diapers.

Then there is the startup cost, which can be astronomical. There are the old fashioned diapers, prefolds and covers, and enough to last a single child one day is around $50, for 12 prefolds and 3 covers. That is considering that you need to wash them every day.

So how is an extremely poor person using cloth diapers? They're not. If you're living paycheck to paycheck it's much easier to come up with $20 for the store brand disposables than to pay $50 for diapers that last one day plus frequent washing.
Exactly. If you're doing it at the laundromat, you're paying for three runs through the washing machine instead of one. That $2.00 wash someone here mentioned (most are more expensive, or at the least the ones I've used on vacation were a lot higher) suddenly turns into $6.00 for the load plus the cost of the dryer. I didn't realize that some laundromats won't let you do diapers. I remember that my start up costs for two in diapers wasn't cheap, and that was nearly 20 years ago.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:15 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,024,746 times
Exactly wrong do you go through all that after taking a crap? good grief crap don't kill babies or adults

Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,704,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Is this society's problem or her and the dad she slept with? Most of us consider the price of a child compared to the price of birth control. At least this is what a responsible lady would do.....
ALWAYS blame the woman.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:17 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Cloth diapering is much more complicated that just rinsing out a stinky diaper in the sink.

First, you need to do a cold pre rinse. Then, a hot rinse with a specific type of detergent (which can be $$$). Then another rinse to ensure there is not residue left on the diapers from said detergent. These are necessary steps, as not enough rinsing can lead to an ammonia buildup in the diapers. Most diapers can only be dried on a low heat setting, which takes much more time. I personally dry mine on a clothes line in the backyard. How much money do you think these steps require? Also, many Laundromats will not allow you to wash cloth diapers.

Then there is the startup cost, which can be astronomical. There are the old fashioned diapers, prefolds and covers, and enough to last a single child one day is around $50, for 12 prefolds and 3 covers. That is considering that you need to wash them every day.

So how is an extremely poor person using cloth diapers? They're not. If you're living paycheck to paycheck it's much easier to come up with $20 for the store brand disposables than to pay $50 for diapers that last one day plus frequent washing.
Humans have been using cloth diapers for a LONG time. People with far fewer resources made it work just fine, and millions of children survived the process. Our friend decided to do cloth diapers with her second child, so for her baby shower, she asked for only inserts and diapers. Worked out great, she didn't have to spend a penny.

Clother diapers aren't easier, they are harder, but sometimes you have to take the harder road, because it's cheaper...unless the taxpayers are funding your progeny, then you have lots of spare time to whine about how terrible your life is.

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
We washed them in the toilet, pour in some bleach, swish, flush a few times, over the shower.

Poor folks are lazy. They don't work, and don't clean. Look at poor areas, the folks don't have jobs, but the yards and homes are still a mess!

When kids wear cloth diapers, you bet they are potty trained quick! By the time they can stand, and walk....no four and five years old in diapers.

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
Cloth diapers can be washed, and reused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies