Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
You just have to rinse them really, really, really good! Personally I would think a rinse, dish soap scrub/soak, and then a good rinse out would work.

ETA: To hold you over until you can drag yourself to the laundry mat.
That still doesn't kill the germs, or fungal infections if that's an issue. That's why our moms and grandmothers boiled them on the stove. If you can't wash them in super hot water in a machine (hotter than you can hand wash with) you have to boil them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm by no means an expert but mb157 made it sound like you had to beat the things with rocks to get them clean.
I know... weird huh? I never heard of anyone washing crappy diapers in the bathtub without removing said crap. I never let stinky diapers just sit there and stink. I dumped, rinsed, and plopped into diaper pail all in about a minute or two.
Throw the mess in the washer (hot water) and then dry. I did dry them all in the sun before my son was even born. (I lived in a house then.)I would have preferred to do so after he was born, but we were not allowed to hang laundry in the apartment complexes.

PS... Wanted to add that I worked in a day care center that actually used cloth diapers on the babies and toddlers. We had changing tables with mini toilets (and, of course, sinks) attached. We put the rinsed diapers in small pails and took them to the laundry room and put the pails in the sink for someone (usually the director) to further rinse the diapers and put them in the washer.
Each room had no less than 12 dozen diapers and there always seemed like there was a load in each machine and one being folded.
The parents LOVED this as they did not have to bring but ONE diaper to the center each day (this was what they went home in - unless they were asleep.) Not one parent complained that some other baby wore the same diapers as their baby. They knew the diapers were cleaned and so were their babies and toddlers.
We had 6 - 8 babies in that one room on a daily basis, and up to 20 toddlers in their room. We spent a lot of time changing diapers there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
that is absolute BS.

you do not have to use anything hard - rinse the s*** in the toilet while it is not yet dry and then wash in hot water with soap( you do not have to do that washing immediately)then boil for sterility.
Or iron if you do not want to boil.

she has no clue what she is talking about. By her later posts it is obvious woman is confabulating.

Tulani does.

In a house where one has running hot and cold water washing the diapers for one baby is not a problem. And since the baby is alredy 11 months old he can easily be potty trained so the only diapers left will be urine-soaked.

Thanks.

Some people are making it sound like cloth diapers are the hardest thing to use, and expensive to boot. Yes, it might cost $20.+ for a dozen REGULAR diapers and a few bucks for rubber pants. Just use the basic ones that mothers have been using for eons. I have looked online at the price of these new cutsie diapers with their multi-colored "covers" (glorified rubber pants that cost a fortune!) and was not impressed. What's wrong with plain white diapers and covers and diaper pins? What could be cheaper? I know, diaper pins are not as easy as velcro... but one does get good at using them with practice.

I realize it was 30 years ago, and I don't really know the cost of cloth diapers these days. Even if a dozen diapers cost $50. then $400. investment on diapers and covers (while pregnant) results in 3 years of diapers (and burp cloths, then rags ).
Everyone has laundry, so using the excuse that they can't get to a machine is beyond whiny. Don't their babies wear other clothes? Don't they have blankets and bedding that needs washing? What is the big deal then about going to the laundry mat to wash diapers?

I think it is one of two reasons. First off is that feces makes a lot of people sick. They have no clue that they are supposed to actually dump the stuff in the toilet before throwing the diaper away. Nope, no clue; they wipe baby and wrap it all up and throw it all away. We not only have disposable diapers filling up the landfill, but human feces throughout the landfill.
Laziness is included in this group because it is just lazy to not clean crappy diapers.

The second reason is probably the same reason I could never use disposables on my son... allergies. (I found this out while still in the hospital and they had him in Pampers and he came home with a real nasty rash.) Some baby skin is so sensitive to soaps.

I will also say that one does not need to expend all this extra care on cloth diapers that some are going on about. I washed diapers in hot, soapy water - I did use baby soap, but this was no more expensive than the other laundry detergent... and lasted longer because it was only for his diapers. I actually washed his laundry in whatever soap I used for the rest of the household laundry. He was exposed to it anyway when he was on my clothes. He was fine with that. I dried diapers and baby clothes without fabric softener.

Really, this is each mother's choice. I am just writing to let others know that cloth diapering is not the nasty process it is made out to be.

Last edited by tulani; 07-29-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 08:41 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Most prefolds have a layer in the middle for extra absorbency. Just a flat piece of fabric would likely not hold all of the urine and leak everywhere. Many people buy prefolds because they simply work better. They run about $1.50 per piece. Then there are the water proof covers, which protect baby's clothes from leakage, and can be reused even when the cloth inside is wet. Those are usually, at their cheapest, $10 a piece. Walmart does offer a package for cloth diapers which includes 12 prefolds and 3 covers for I believe $48? But most do not carry them in store.

Cloth diapering has change immensely in recent years and many people have no idea.
You can buy four pairs of plastic pants from Gerber for under $12 for the package of four.
Amazon.com: Gerber Plastic Pants, 0-3 Months, Fits Up to 12 lbs (4 pairs): Baby

You can buy ten diapers from Gerber for under $12 for the pack.
Amazon.com: Gerber Birdseye 10 Count Flatfold Cloth Diapers, White: Baby

I raised my kids in these. They worked just fine.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
When I lived below the poverty line as a young mother, and had two kids in diapers, I used cloth diapers. And I hung them on a line to dry when my old ass drier bit the dust.

My gosh, you can "rent to own" a washer for less than it costs each week to keep two babies in disposable diapers!

Amazon.com: Gerber Birdseye 10 Count Flatfold Cloth Diapers, White: Baby

Ten diapers - $12.34 - you need two packages to get by.

Amazon.com: Gerber Plastic Pants, 0-3 Months, Fits Up to 12 lbs (4 pairs): Baby

Plastic pants to go over diapers - 4 for $11.45 - you need one package.

I don't know what all that was about special detergents, drying them on the low cycle, extra rinses, etc. I know it's distasteful, but I rinsed the dirty diapers out in the toilet. Then I put them in a diaper pail filled with water and a bit of bleach. At the end of the day, I'd dump the pail in the old ass washer that I had and wash them in my cheap detergent on a hot cycle. Then I'd either throw them in the drier on a regular drying cycle, or hang them on the clothes line. I preferred hanging them outside in the sun. Anyway, that was it.

It was MUCH cheaper than buying disposable diapers.

I want to use these when I have my child. So you think 20 diapers would be enough?
I am due in December.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to use these when I have my child. So you think 20 diapers would be enough?
I am due in December.
I think if you are going to wash them every day it's enough. However, if you can afford to buy another package, I would. I don't know, I had two kids in cloth diapers at one time, and it seemed like I had about thirty diapers max. I did wash them every day because I didn't want them to sit in that murky water overnight.

I do know this - you can save a TON of money using cloth diapers! Oh, and I used diaper pins as well. It all worked fine. In no time, you become a real pro at changing the diapers as well as rinsing them out, folding them when they're dry, etc.

I always thought there was something restful and wholesome about hanging them on a line to dry.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:46 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,777,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And I'll bet you anything she had a washing machine at home to wash the diapers...
Yes, they have a stacked washer/dryer that a friend gave to them. Washers can be found on craigslist all day long for less than 100 bucks. Again, excuses-excuses. I can find an excuse for anything, or I could just get up, shut up, and do the task.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I think if you are going to wash them every day it's enough. However, if you can afford to buy another package, I would. I don't know, I had two kids in cloth diapers at one time, and it seemed like I had about thirty diapers max. I did wash them every day because I didn't want them to sit in that murky water overnight.
Problem is, I live in an apartment with laundry room. But I can wash them by hand.

Im going to try it out and see if I like it.

I want to save money this time around.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:47 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Another first world problem that people can't seem to figure out on their own. Only the wise and almighty knowing government can come up with a solution I'm sure. I mean how friggen hard is it to go to the sink and wash a gdam diaper out?
Momma used a #10 washtub as a washing machine till we could afford one, and my baby pictures attest to the fact I was in cloth diapers. They didn't have throwaway diapers then, and if they did, we couldn't afford them. Maybe hand washing diapers will make them think twice about making more of those darling tax deductions that are running around the house in welfare diapers.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Problem is, I live in an apartment with laundry room. Im going to try it out and see if I like it.
Good luck! And congrats on your upcoming "addition!"

Old 07-29-2013, 08:49 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I know... weird huh? I never heard of anyone washing crappy diapers in the bathtub without removing said crap. I never let stinky diapers just sit there and stink. I dumped, rinsed, and plopped into diaper pail all in about a minute or two.
Throw the mess in the washer (hot water) and then dry. I did dry them all in the sun before my son was even born. (I lived in a house then.)I would have preferred to do so after he was born, but we were not allowed to hang laundry in the apartment complexes.
Can you READ? Evidently not. YOU WASHED YOUR DIAPERS IN A WASHING MACHINE. Others here are trying to say that if women can't go to the laundromat because of cost or transportation, that it's the easiest thing in the world to wash diapers in the bathtub EVERY DAY. Even if you remove "said crap" in the toilet (which is what someone would obviously do) before you washed them in the tub, you still can't hand scrub poop soaked diapers enough to get them clean without a WASHBOARD, and then you would need to boil them to disinfect them. You admitted yourself that it was a pain to do a half dozen diapers that way, and all you did was swish them around in the sink and pour boiling water on them, which was fairly lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies