Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,929,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Ladies and gentlemen - we have a winner. AS A PARENT, YOU DO WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO PROVIDE FOR YOUR FAMILY.
Yet the OP is about a woman with 12 or 15 kids, the news said 12 some where I saw 15.....that's too many and 3 dads to boot........someone is missing in her life to help, never get why men can walk.

Why aren't the dad's buying diapers, why would someone have this many children with different dads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 09:43 PM

16,909 posts, read 10,580,649 times
I had a washer and dryer in my house for the first time ever last year. I've washed plenty of things by hand. The only tricky part is finding space to dry things in the winter.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:45 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I had a washer and dryer in my house for the first time ever last year. I've washed plenty of things by hand. The only tricky part is finding space to dry things in the winter.
Up until 1962 my aunt had no running water (nor electric) in the house and she raised 3 children.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:48 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
LOL..it's called the kitchen sink

Portable washing machine that hooks up to your kitchen sink:

Purchase the Haier Portable Top-Load Washer at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
Does that cost under $100? That was the point A couple of people here were claiming that 1) you can pick up a used washer for under $100 (which is true) but 2) that low income housing USUALLY has a washer hook up. That's NOT true. If you don't have a hook up for a washer, you can't very well put in a cheap used washer. If you can't afford diapers, how are you going to come up with $219 for a portable unit?

My only point with this whole thing is that you guys don't think. You believe that people have problems or struggle only because they're LAZY, and that the answer is always some kind of simple, knee jerk response. Some people ARE lazy, but there's a big chunk who are in tough situations through no fault of their own--illness, job loss, divorce--you name it. In the original link, they mentioned a disabled woman with a young child who was having a tough time affording diapers, but the start up costs of going to cloth diapers was prohibitive, along with the cost of way more trips to the laundromat. Why is that so tough to understand?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,200,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Yet the OP is about a woman with 12 or 15 kids, the news said 12 some where I saw 15.....that's too many and 3 dads to boot........someone is missing in her life to help, never get why men can walk.

Why aren't the dad's buying diapers, why would someone have this many children with different dads?
Really? Show me where in the article that the OP linked to that said that?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:52 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,308,065 times
Not too long ago there were diaper services, they picked up the dirty diapers(contents removed or course)and delivered washed and folded ones, this places had a whole factory sized building sometimes multiple floors, and ran 24/7.

Looky here they are still around:
Natural Bottoms | Cleveland's Eco-Friendly Cloth Diaper Service

But the bottom line(oh please, no punn intended) answer to the OP is .... If you "can't afford" to tend to your child's most basic needs, you can't afford to have a child.

It doesn't matter what type of nappies you use.

Last edited by JohnnyMack; 07-29-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The last time you checked you would be wrong. We looked at more than a dozen apartments for one of my sons this summer (he wants to go the apartment route this year with friends vs. the dorm), and most of the more affordably priced ones had no hook up for a washer. I've never seen a "portable" washing machine--especially a used one for under $100--that you could attach to the sink in an apartment. A dishwasher yes--a washing machine, no.
I've actually owned two portable washers that did not require a hook-up. The hose attached to the sink faucet. Just needed to get an adaptor for the faucet. They held about six to eight pounds of laundry and worked great. They had extractors built in on the side. This was quite awhile ago and since then they have gone up in price considerably, but might still be worth the price if someone wanted to use cloth diapers.

The average cost of disposable diapers for one baby from birth to potty training is about $2400.
Cloth vs Disposable Diapers - Cost | Awesome Beginnings 4 Children

Amazon advertises a portable washer for that received good reviews for $250.79 and it hooks up to the sink.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Does that cost under $100? That was the point A couple of people here were claiming that 1) you can pick up a used washer for under $100 (which is true) but 2) that low income housing USUALLY has a washer hook up. That's NOT true. If you don't have a hook up for a washer, you can't very well put in a cheap used washer. If you can't afford diapers, how are you going to come up with $219 for a portable unit?

My only point with this whole thing is that you guys don't think. You believe that people have problems or struggle only because they're LAZY, and that the answer is always some kind of simple, knee jerk response. Some people ARE lazy, but there's a big chunk who are in tough situations through no fault of their own--illness, job loss, divorce--you name it. In the original link, they mentioned a disabled woman with a young child who was having a tough time affording diapers, but the start up costs of going to cloth diapers was prohibitive, along with the cost of way more trips to the laundromat. Why is that so tough to understand?
Well Walmart doesn't sell used so go look on craigslist.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:55 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Cheap. $13.71 for a 10 pack. Amazon.com: Gerber Birdseye 10 Count 3-Ply Prefold Cloth Diapers, White: Baby

Nothing but freeloader's laziness is all.
Just wanted to note that these diapers aren't very absorbent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I want to use these when I have my child. So you think 20 diapers would be enough?
I am due in December.
I would invest in about 50 small Chinese prefolds they are VERY absorbent and much thicker than Gerber, which are only good for burp cloths IMO. They are old school. There are very high grade prefolds now a days. The most highly rated are Chinese or Indian prefolds. That is just their names BTW not country of origin. I found Thirstees diaper covers to be the best. They do not leak hardly at all during the day, but if you have a heavy wetter you will get leaks of course, but they are VERY highly rated. Many SAHMs also make covers on etsy.com that are excellent. You will also have to get a larger set of prefolds when the baby is older but the cost is so little compared to sposies that you will save a ton and be good to our environment in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
How much is a diaper service? Would that still be cheaper than buying disposable diapers.
IMO the cost associated with a service is the same as buying disposables. It will run about 15-20 dollars a week. The only way it would be cheaper is if you have multiples like twins or triplets. It is cheaper to spend 200 max on diapers and washing once a week in your apartment laundry room. You can get a wet bag for soiled diapers or just put t them in a bucket with some baking soda and water between washes ( out of reach of children of course). I didn't' t use bleach as I was afraid of it irritating the baby, but peroxide is another method of disinfecting and just turning up the temperature in the water heater. I turned mine up as I have a washer. I have another child but I watched him close enough that he was never scalded by the hotter than recommended water temp in our home.

I also suggest using disposables for the first couple weeks. If this is your first baby you may not know that they pass merconium (sp?) feces first, which is kind of like tar. It doesn't't last long but I have heard is a PITA to clean. Plus you will probably be tired after the birth and most people give diapers as gifts at showers. I used all my sposies then started cloth around 1 month.

Also wanted to add that you can put a felt liner against baby's skin to wick away moisture. It will keep baby dry overnight without the need for sposies. I usually double stuffed a prefold at night and used a felt liner and that worked perfectly well to absorb pee and not cause my baby to wake up due to wetness. I cut up an old felt sweat shirt for my liners and used them all day, not just nighttime so that the baby's skin wouldn't be irritated.

You can PM me and I will share a lot of my cloth diaper sites, exchanges, And forums with you. I learned a whole lot about the new cloth diapers via research.

Congrats on your baby!

Old 07-29-2013, 09:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,188,547 times
Quote:

Oh come on, stop with the excuses will you?

What is tough to understand is the lame excuses you come up with...

Just what did mothers do 300 years ago? -ANSWER- They made do... Something you seem to think is beyond the intelligence of modern mothers.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies