Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

OP...disposable diapers are NOT nice. The are a holocaust on the environment. Just another big cash cow for industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 03:09 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's very easy to judge people when you don't have to make the choice between a carton of milk and a load of a laundry.

That being said, wash the damn diapers by hand.
It is easy to judge people when you have displayed better judgment (choosing to not have kids if you cannot afford it).

And I agree, wash the diapers by hand.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's very easy to judge people when you don't have to make the choice between a carton of milk and a load of a laundry.

That being said, wash the damn diapers by hand.
Actually what they are doing is choosing disposable diapers over that carton of milk.
$18/week for disposable diapers.

That's 2 cartons of milk and a jug of clorox and still money left in your wallet.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,203,345 times
I raised 5 kids. No one has EVER in my life called me lazy--that would be laughable. I tried cloth diapers briefly with my boys, and the idea of hand washing them out in the bathtub every night is absolutely ridiculous.

First--they need to be SCRUBBED to get them clean--they have ground in feces--which means rubbing the fabric together with your hands isn't going to cut it--you need to use an old fashioned scrub board if you're not going to use a washing machine. How many of those have you seen lately in the laundry aisle at Target or Walmart? . Second, they need to be disinfected. You can bleach them, but a couple of my kids had fairly sensitive skin as babies, and had skin reactions to the bleached diapers. If you don't use bleach, then you have to wash the diapers and boil them on top of the stove to kill the bacteria. Using cloth diapers isn't easy or simple if you use a washing machine. If you had to hand wash them, it would be a nightmare.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I raised 5 kids. No one has EVER in my life called me lazy--that would be laughable. I tried cloth diapers briefly with my boys, and the idea of hand washing them out in the bathtub every night is absolutely ridiculous.

First--they need to be SCRUBBED to get them clean--they have ground in feces--which means rubbing the fabric together with your hands isn't going to cut it--you need to use an old fashioned scrub board if you're not going to use a washing machine. How many of those have you seen lately in the laundry aisle at Target or Walmart. . Second, they need to be disinfected. You can bleach them, but a couple of my kids had fairly sensitive skin as babies, and had skin reactions to the bleached diapers. If you don't use bleach, then you have to wash the diapers and boil them on top of the stove to kill the bacteria.
Well if you are poor then you don't have many choices do you ?
They chose to have kids knowing what financial state they were in.

My mother raised 5 kids and 4 of them before there were disposable diapers.
Yeah..she did have a washboard in the bathroom and washed diapers every night.
It wasn't due to poverty though; that was the way people lived before disposable diapers.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
OP...disposable diapers are NOT nice. The are a holocaust on the environment. Just another big cash cow for industry.
So is the bleach to disinfect the cloth ones.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well if you are poor then you don't have many choices do you ?
They chose to have kids knowing what financial state they were in.
I hope you never have a job loss, or an unexpected financial emergency that puts you in a position of being broke, because I believe that what goes around comes around. What I've found is that the people who are the quickest to judge someone else are usually the first to whine, *itch and moan if they find themselves in a similar situation. My husband and I have worked very hard all of our lives for comfortable financial security, and we've achieved it. That doesn't mean that I can't understand that at any point along the way, something could have gone wrong that would have put us in a very different position than we are in today.

The GOP didn't used to be so....mean.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,858 times
Thank god I don't have kids. What a money drain they are.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:22 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,000,960 times
Quote:

First--they need to be SCRUBBED to get them clean--they have ground in feces--which means rubbing the fabric together with your hands isn't going to cut it--you need to use an old fashioned scrub board if you're not going to use a washing machine. How many of those have you seen lately in the laundry aisle at Target or Walmart? . Second, they need to be disinfected. You can bleach them, but a couple of my kids had fairly sensitive skin as babies, and had skin reactions to the bleached diapers. If you don't use bleach, then you have to wash the diapers and boil them on top of the stove to kill the bacteria. Using cloth diapers isn't easy or simple if you use a washing machine. If you had to hand wash them, it would be a nightmare.
Oh the horror.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I hope you never have a job loss, or an unexpected financial emergency that puts you in a position of being broke, because I believe that what goes around comes around. What I've found is that the people who are the quickest to judge someone else are usually the first to whine, *itch and moan if they find themselves in a similar situation. My husband and I have worked very hard all of our lives for comfortable financial security, and we've achieved it. That doesn't mean that I can't understand that at any point along the way, something could have gone wrong that would have put us in a very different position than we are in today.

The GOP didn't used to be so....mean.
Did you read the article ?

The woman interviewed is 41, single and has no job.
But she had a kid anyway.
And she's complaining about disposable diapers.

Context my friend. I'm not playing any straw man arguments here.
I'm commenting on what is in the article..not "what if" scenarios.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies