Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 03:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

If she can't afford diapers now then she is in for a world of hurt because as kids get older the expenses get bigger.
Is she cutting back on food and not feeding that baby enough for development ?

Makes you wonder if maybe we need to start taking these kids away from parents that have no money.
If anything for the kids sake so they grow up healthy.

I'm sure there's much more deplorable conditions that aren't being reported about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:22 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
If you can't afford to feed em don't breed em. If you can't afford to diaper them yourself then don't have them. It's really that simple.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:23 PM

121 posts, read 199,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
you can wash the cloth diapers by hands if you do not have money for laundromat.

Lazy much?
Gross!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If you can't afford to feed em don't breed em. If you can't afford to diaper them yourself then don't have them. It's really that simple.
Well they didn't listen and had the kids anyway.
So now what do "WE" do about it ?

Seems it's the old "it takes a village" to make sure all kids have diapers now.

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Not in the subsidized units I've seen! Geez, both of my daughters rented market rate apts and had a basement coin laundry. The one apt had a decent sized kitchen, so she could have had one of those portable numbers, the other one would have had no place to keep said item.
Oh well - like I said, if for some reason someone doesn't have room for a washer, and doesn't have easy access to a washer, then they COULD wash diapers in the bathtub - many people do just that. It won't kill anyone and can save a lot of money.

Dry them outside or inside on a drying rack ($7) and you're good to go.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:25 PM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
And if you're poor, how do you afford a portable washing machine? The devil is in the details.
How does anybody afford anything? You save for it. If you are pregnant, or plan to be pregnant, it's wise to start saving up for baby needs. News flash: Babies can cost $$$.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:25 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
typical...you are to poor to be poor thread.

going to the laundry mat does not just entail the cost of the washer and dryers.

add the cost of laundry supplies and paying to get to the laundy mat. Unlike towles and underwear, diapers dont hold up till the end of the week wash. they have urine and fecal matter. having to run to the laundry mat every other day is a chore. not to mention if you have a newborn in tow.

Look past your prejudices to see all sides of an issue.
Prejudice? So to expect people to provide for their own kids is prejudiced?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:26 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,598,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Or you can give them up for adoption. If you know you can not afford a child why would you not place him/her in a home with a family who can?

Last edited by Spazkat9696; 07-31-2013 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 03:35 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what is your reality ? Give them more money ?

You've been against every suggestion/solution post.
I think, like most real issues, it's complicated. Most of you rant against insurance companies covering birth control, or want abortion banned, but those are prime ways to avoid having children you can't afford, and the more readily available birth control is, the more the abortion rate goes down. Telling adults to stop having sex is ridiculous, and I'm going to ignore any comments suggesting that as an option.

I think diapers are as much of a medical need for infants as a personal care item, so in some instances, support would be appropriate, probably through WIC. I also think some needs could be addressed through broader charitable giving--most people don't think to donate diapers, but it was the biggest need we had when I ran a shelter, and they're one of the highest demand items at the foodbank our church runs.

One example given in the OP's link was a disabled woman with a young child. I have a cousin who was recently diagnosed with MS, and her condition has deteriorated at an alarming rate in the last six months. She could no more stoop over a bath tub to hand scrub 20 diapers a day than she could climb the empire state building. She's had to leave work. She's in good shape financially and has a strong support network, but what if that wasn't the case? Although I think cloth diapers are a good option for lots of people, there are plenty of other instances where they're not going to work.

I used to run non-profit agencies, and I've been in tiny little efficiency apartments with entire families living in them, where I'm not sure where you would HANG twenty diapers at a time, where there is no bathtub, where there might be a tiny little beverage sink instead of a kitchen sink, and that's it. I think you have an unrealistic view of the way some people live. If the laundromat costs $7 a load, and your food budget for the week for two people is $30-40, that's a steep hill to climb.

Again--I think using cloth diapers is great, if you can swing the start up costs, and if you have a way to actually clean them effectively and affordably. If you have a washing machine at home, it's a no brainer. Can some people hand wash their diapers every day--sure. Can everybody--no. If you want poor women to work, they have to have disposables for child care--unless you're in an in home daycare setting with a very very flexible provider, it's a rare center that will take a child in cloth diapers.

Last edited by mb1547; 07-31-2013 at 04:01 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think, like most real issues, it's complicated. Most of you rant against insurance companies covering birth control, or want abortion banned, but those are prime ways to avoid having children you can't afford, and the more readily available birth control is, the more the abortion rate goes down.

I think diapers are as much of a medical need for infants as a personal care item, so in some instances, support would be appropriate, probably through WIC. One example given in the OP's link was a disabled woman with a young child. I have a cousin who was recently diagnosed with MS, and her condition has deteriorated at an alarming rate in the last six months. She could no more stoop over a bath tub to hand scrub 20 diapers a day than she could climb the empire state building. She's had to leave work. She's in good shape financially and has a strong support network, but what if that wasn't the case?

I used to run non-profit agencies, and I've been in tiny little efficiency apartments with entire families living in them, where I'm not sure where you would HANG twenty diapers at a time, where there is no bathtub, where there might be a tiny little beverage sink instead of a kitchen sink, and that's it. I think you have an unrealistic view of the way some people live. If the laundromat costs $7 a load, and your food budget for the week for two people is $30-40, that's a steep hill to climb.

I think using cloth diapers is great, if you can swing the start up costs, and if you have a way to actually clean them effectively. If you want poor women to work, they have to have disposables for child care--unless you're in an in home daycare setting with a very very flexible provider, it's a rare center that will take a child in cloth diapers. Can some people hand wash their diapers every day--sure. Can everybody--no.
And you'd see packages of diapers for sale on craigslist right next to the WIC formula cans.
They get it for free and sell it for cash in hand.
And the kids would still have no diapers.

Just did a quick craigslist..185 postings this month for baby formula in Houston alone.

It is a problem and WIC has acknowledged that it is a problem.
But WIC has no extra people and say it's up to the public to report the fraud.
http://www.bakersfieldnow.com/news/i...111639034.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies