Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,202,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
The article says she DOESN'T work, not that she can't. As for "fault", I'm prone to wonder if the "disability" is real given that she was able to engage in getting pregnant.
Try reading for a change. She's living on disability payments. In order to qualify for disability, you have to prove that you are medically unable to work. It's hard enough to be approved that most people, especially those who have more grey area disabilities like mental health, have to hire an attorney to negotiate them through the process, and even then they can be repeatedly turned down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 04:12 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
You don't know that her disability didn't occur after the birth of her child.
We don't know if it is a real disability or a I don't want to work and dr shop disability either. Just because you cannot work does not mean you cannot clean a cloth diaper.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/richardf...for-taxpayers/

I know someone who went out on permanent disability. Now they volunteer 30-40 hours a week for meals on wheels, they could have gotten a job driving things/people around instead of getting on the dole.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

808 posts, read 662,529 times
Quote:
I'll bet you this--I'm a whole lot more comfortable financially than you or any of your friends combined will ever be. I'm just not an a**. The women in that article is DISABLED. She can't work. You don't know if that happened before or after she had her child. Is her disability her fault? Even Ronald Reagan supported social service programs for people who didn't abuse the system. If you think the nastiness that some of you spew is winning the hearts and minds of the average GOP voter, then think again--a whole lot of the moderate end (around 30% of the party) is leaving you because of attitudes and venom like this. Most people get it that sometimes people need help for reasons beyond their control--that people who ABUSE the system are the problem.
you will loose your bet

but that is OK.

don't squeeze the tears form my eyes by her disability. The number of "disabled" has skyrocketed in this country and since I know what kind of ailments can get you disability, I would not shed a tear, even one. And if she is disabled - she is already on assistance.

If she needs the disposable diapers, she can cut off her cable and internet - that will give her the money needed.

And don't try to trick me about "average GOP voter" - this issue has nothing to do with voting and I am not campaigning here.

This issue mirrors the whole entitlement mindset in America - I need diapers, somebody has pay for them!!! because I need them.
How about getting a little look through your expenses and cutting them to have money for the diapers? Oh, no, no way.

detroitization of the whole country.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:14 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,917 times
Medically unable to work but clearly not medically unable to f***, eh? Or think enough to not squeeze out an additional welfare benefit?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
We don't know if it is a real disability or a I don't want to work and dr shop disability either. Just because you cannot work does not mean you cannot clean a cloth diaper.

I know someone who went out on permanent disability. Now they volunteer 30-40 hours a week for meals on wheels, they could have gotten a job driving things/people around instead of getting on the dole.
It says she's disabled--not that she's on welfare. If she was on welfare, she would have work or school requirements (they don't let you sit at home anymore--you either have to get a job, or get job training to receive benefits unless you are caring for a VERY young child or disabled child) and a set period of months that she could receive benefits in her lifetime.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Medically unable to work but clearly not medically unable to f***, eh? Or think enough to not squeeze out an additional welfare benefit?
How do you know when her disability occurred? Oh wait--you don't.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
you will loose your bet

but that is OK.

don't squeeze the tears form my eyes byt her disability. The number of "disabled" has skyrocketed in this country and since I know what kind of ailments can get you disability, I would not shed a tear, even one.

If she needs the disposable diapers, she can cut off her cable and internet - that will give her the money needed.
I find that highly unlikely.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
How do you know when her disability occurred? Oh wait--you don't.
And neither do you.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
And? Do you think most people are unemployed by choice? If you work full time at minimum wage, and you have one child, you fall below federal poverty standards. If you have two parents working full time at minimum wage jobs and one child, you still fall within 150% of federal poverty standards, making you extremely low income.
And? The post I responded to is incorrect. Very few poor families work full time. Very few have two adults working.

There is a direct correlation between hours worked per family and total family income.

Do you think most people are unemployed by choice?

Old 07-29-2013, 04:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
If it were temporary there wouldn't be a crisis would there ?
Article says 30% are diaper challenged.
With increasing poverty numbers that 30% is only going to get bigger.

I went looking at other articles.
About 6 billion disposable diapers is what the poor need THIS YEAR based on the number of babies born in poverty with 8 changes per day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies