Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the welfare system rewards the wrong people to reproduce in large numbers?
Yes 160 74.07%
No 42 19.44%
Yes/No 14 6.48%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,807,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
I am not talking about the single mom who needs help after her husband died, but the poor women who has 6 kids, is pregnant with her 7th kid, her first two daughters are pregnant, her son has impregnated a girl at age 17. ect

Do you believe the welfare system rewards the wrong people for the wrong actions and has lead to America becoming a ineptocracy

Ineptocracy
a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
I don't think it has much to do with rewards. In Germany they have tried rewards for having more children, just didn't work, people don't reproduce because of money.
Conversely, people don't stop to reproduce just because they are poor and don't receive any help. Look at Africa or Afghanistan, people there just don't want to realize that it is better to have and focus all their efforts on just 1 or 2 kids instead of 8 or 10.
I guess religion and superstition are also partly to blame. Usually the more religious a couple is, the more children they have. And religiousness in turn usually depends on how educated a person is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 AM

89,366 posts, read 45,091,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't think it has much to do with rewards. In Germany they have tried rewards for having more children, just didn't work, people don't reproduce because of money.
Germany has a highly regressive tax system. The U.S. doesn't.

Other countries' taxes are highly regressive - Washington Post

Quote:
Conversely, people don't stop to reproduce just because they are poor and don't receive any help. Look at Africa or Afghanistan, people there just don't want to realize that it is better to have and focus all their efforts on just 1 or 2 kids instead of 8 or 10.
High infant mortality rates and shorter life expectancies provide a natural means of balancing out the higher birth rates in those countries.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Germany has a highly regressive tax system. The U.S. doesn't.

Other countries' taxes are highly regressive - Washington Post

High infant mortality rates and shorter life expectancies provide a natural means of balancing out the higher birth rates in those countries.
Well, the tax system is the same throughout the country. Still, there are regional differences. Generally speaking, fertility is highest in rural areas (which also happen to be the regions where educational levels are lowest and religiousness is highest). In cities it is usually only first-generation immigrants that have more kids, but they soon adapt to the German behavior.

It is a vicious cycle. What you say about mortality and life expectancy is correct, but it is a rather sad vision of human life, a bit like the rat approach. As long as people have so many kids, they will remain poor, and as long as they are poor, they seem to feel like having many kids is the way to survive.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well, the tax system is the same throughout the country. Still, there are regional differences. Generally speaking, fertility is highest in rural areas (which also happen to be the regions where educational levels are lowest and religiousness is highest). In cities it is usually only first-generation immigrants that have more kids, but they soon adapt to the German behavior.
All of which has nothing to do with the fact that Germany's tax system is highly regressive. Financial incentives to reproduce have proven to be unprofitable under such a tax system, and therefore are ineffective.
Quote:
What you say about mortality and life expectancy is correct, but it is a rather sad vision of human life, a bit like the rat approach.
Odd that you think of it that way. It's evolutionary. Do you suddenly now not believe in evolution?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Quote:
All of which has nothing to do with the fact that Germany's tax system is highly regressive. Financial incentives to reproduce have proven to be unprofitable under such a tax system, and therefore are ineffective.
Odd that you think of it that way. It's evolutionary. Do you suddenly now not believe in evolution?
Well, the thing is, those whose reproduction society should have an interest in, namely of the brightest ones, are usually doing well, they can't be lured with money or similar incentives, regardless of the tax system. If they don't feel like having kids, that is the way it will be.

Believe in evolution? I don't think it is anything to believe in. It is a fact. Having said that, I do think that humans have kind of switched off evolution, which is a good thing. That is why we try to cure people in hospitals instead of just letting them die as if they were some wild animals.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Believe in evolution? I don't think it is anything to believe in. It is a fact. Having said that, I do think that humans have kind of switched off evolution, which is a good thing. That is why we try to cure people in hospitals instead of just letting them die as if they were some wild animals.
So... a population consisting overly disproportionately of the welfare-dependent improves society how? How do you not understand that artificially financially supporting an exponentially increasing dependent class is mathematically unsustainable?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
So... a population consisting overly disproportionately of the welfare-dependent improves society how? How do you not understand that artificially financially supporting an exponentially increasing dependent class is mathematically unsustainable?
Oh, I do see that there is a problem, I just don't think that for instance slashing support would stop the majority of those people from having too many kids.
I don't know any short-term solution.
Maybe we make the mistake to think evolution has some good or any goal for that matter. Maybe living and reproducing at the expense of society is already an achievement in terms of evolution. Maybe evolution works in favor of the mediocre, not the elite.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Oh, I do see that there is a problem, I just don't think that for instance slashing support would stop the majority of those people from having too many kids.
I don't know any short-term solution.

Maybe we make the mistake to think evolution has some good or any goal for that matter. Maybe living and reproducing at the expense of society is already an achievement in terms of evolution.
No. Classic Biology 101 petri dish experiment: When a population outgrows its means of support, the population dies off.

Quote:
Maybe evolution works in favor of the mediocre, not the elite.
I sincerely doubt that. If such were true, the higher life forms that exist today never would have evolved.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
No. Classic Biology 101 petri dish experiment: When a population outgrows its means of support, the population dies off.

I sincerely doubt that. If such were true, the higher life forms that exist today never would have evolved.
Africa doesn't really support that theory Plus, being humans, conscience comes into the equation. We humans don't just let people around us perish, even if we think it is their own fault. The only exception are psychopaths, who basically have no conscience.

Well, but the primitive ones also persist. Nature doesn't invest energy in upgrading if it is not necessary, so to speak Just think of turtles or fish, they have been pretty much the same since the times of the dinosaurs.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:41 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,873,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
You don't need to worry about the "wrong people" having too many kids.

Health & Human Services reports that:

The average number of persons in TANF families was 2.4, including an average of 1.8 recipient children.

One in two recipient families had only one child.

Less than eight percent of families had more than three children.

Characteristics and Financial Circumstances of TANF Recipients, Fiscal Year 2010 | Office of Family Assistance | Administration for Children and Families
Almost half of TANF households have no adult recipient. The trend towards children only TANF recipients has been steadily increasing all along. Reasons include, failure to comply with work requirements, SSDI, voluntary withdrawal and lack of citizenship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies