Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the welfare system rewards the wrong people to reproduce in large numbers?
Yes 160 74.07%
No 42 19.44%
Yes/No 14 6.48%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:59 PM

88,552 posts, read 44,278,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Then why doesn't that translate to the real world? Not just America, but worldwide?
Sloth is a human fault. It will always manifest in a certain percentage of the able-bodied population worldwide.

Quote:
You do realize America has generally had a large class of poor people throughout it's history. We had over a hundred years of no welfare and still had lots of poor folks.
Yes. It's a natural state. No need to interfere with artificial means of support, etc.

Quote:
Taxing people who make very little income would only have the money returned them in welfare.
Not if welfare is cut back.

Quote:
If you want to away the welfare then be prepared for this country to head in real third world territory.
Not going to happen. You yourself said our country has always had poor people.

Quote:
Profit vs Wages
Interesting that you bring that up. Guess who gets the profits? Corporations' owners, also known as stockholders. Guess who is among our country's largest stockholders? Union PENSION systems:
Quote:
"CalPERS is one of the largest institutional investors in both the U.S. and international stock markets."
CalPERS Equities

Are you suggesting that you don't want retirees to get their pensions merely because you don't like the fact that corporations earn profits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,074,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sloth is a human fault. It will always manifest in a certain percentage of the able-bodied population worldwide.
Ok.... Then what was your original point....

Quote:
Yes. It's a natural state. No need to interfere with artificial means of support, etc.
...Except it's a piece of the puzzle of keeping America stable. We don't have a majority rural, agrarian society where people could literally provide for themselves. Again we live in a modern industrialized society in America that has turned us into consumers.

Quote:
Not if welfare is cut back.
Well an improving economy that added more and/or higher quality jobs would do that. Reforming SS and Medicare would certainly do that.

Quote:
Not going to happen. You yourself said our country has always had poor people.
I'll repeat what I said above:

"We don't have a majority rural, agrarian society where people could literally provide for themselves. Again we live in a modern industrialized society in America that has turned us into consumers."

Poverty has gone from rural poor to urban poor. Different circumstances require different means.

Quote:
Interesting that you bring that up. Guess who gets the profits? Corporations' owners, also known as stockholders. Guess who is among our country's largest stockholders? Union PENSION systems:CalPERS Equities

Are you suggesting that you don't want retirees to get their pensions merely because you don't like the fact that corporations earn profits?
No I was quite clear in my reply, I'll repeat it:

"The 'producers' have gotten really good at using technology and globalization. Industrialized countries have used welfare to offset this."

Nice try twisting my words so that you pit me against retirees.....

Welfare is a necessity in every modern industrialized nation. However, from the chart it is clear that decades of policies and human growth, both domestic and foreign, have played a key role maximizing profits to new highs while keeping wages down.

Now, that is not to say there is no room for improvement as in certain areas govt needs to get out and in certain areas need to get more involved in.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:41 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,211,634 times
I just can't wrap my head around the thought process.."If I have six kids, I will get section eight housing, because they only allow two in a bed room at the housing authority apartments.". Who can even begin to work with someone who has that logic!?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:44 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,760,909 times
Not an expert, but perhaps partially.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:23 AM

34,258 posts, read 19,227,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I just can't wrap my head around the thought process.."If I have six kids, I will get section eight housing, because they only allow two in a bed room at the housing authority apartments.". Who can even begin to work with someone who has that logic!?
Because at 5 kids they couldnt get on the list, or the waiting list was so long they figured they would end up homeless and losing their kids?

(seriously I saw this a decade back when the waiting list for a 2 bedroom apt was 5 years)

No idea what its like these days, but probably the same or worse.

*ressearchs

Hmmm..well it was 7 years, but since the sequester took effect they stopped even taking applications.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:53 AM

9,002 posts, read 10,133,315 times
Absolutely. It's pretty disturbing that people who deliberately get knocked up, over & over & over again with no way to support those kids get freebies handed to them, left & right.
The entire system is a$$ backwards & it's not going to get fixed anytime soon.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:35 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,342,798 times
If you don't cull the weak, the entire species becomes on the brink of extinction. - Mother Nature

Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If you don't cull the weak, the entire species becomes on the brink of extinction. - Mother Nature
Yep, nature itself culls the weak. This is known as evolution, which lefties "claim" to believe in but won't actually allow to occur, thus endangering the entire human species.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
We don't have a majority rural, agrarian society where people could literally provide for themselves.
There is plenty of low-cost land available in our country where people actually could literally provide for themselves. Your attempt at making excuses for irresponsible behavior fails.

Quote:
Nice try twisting my words so that you pit me against retirees.
You complained about:
Quote:
Profit vs Wages
I correctly pointed out that many of the largest institutional investors in our country, union PENSION systems, as stockholders, get those profits. Cut profits and the result is that promised pensions are cut. There literally is no way around that.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:35 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,707,039 times
Love how in the conservative mind poor = weak...so we should just act like brutes and destroy 'those' people.

They're still people, y'all. And this is not Sparta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies