Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the welfare system rewards the wrong people to reproduce in large numbers?
Yes 160 74.07%
No 42 19.44%
Yes/No 14 6.48%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:33 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,117,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It's funny how the welfare types can manage to grow all kinds of marijuana but they can't figure out how to grow lettuce and tomatoes.
What % of marijuana growers are on welfare. K THANKS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 10:35 AM

89,009 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
....so then you are pushing for a return to a rural agrarian society?
For those who cannot support themselves any other way, yes. Why not?

Quote:
Maybe eventually you'll see how putting shareholders above workers turned America into a nation of credit card junkies with shrinking wages.
Just say you agree with cutting pensions. Union pension systems are major institutional investors. They're a very large percentage of shareholders. Cutting profits = cutting pensions. Are you on board with that?

Old 11-02-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
For those who cannot support themselves any other way, yes. Why not?
So then the govt is going to transport, train, and buy land for these people to live on? Hmmm still sees like govt welfare. Or you just going to buy them a bus ticket and say "so long".

Quote:
Just say you agree with cutting pensions. Union pension systems are major institutional investors. They're a very large percentage of shareholders. Cutting profits = cutting pensions. Are you on board with that?
Cutting profits = more money for workers to spend or invest. Are you on board with that?

How did these institutional investors get their money to invest? How do unions member contribute to it?

You are putting the cart before the horse.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
What % of marijuana growers are on welfare. K THANKS.
I suspect a very large number -- how many welfare recipients are growing marijuana plants that could also grow tomato plants and other vegetables to make up for food stamp cuts.

Plus people manage to spend BILLIONS of dollars every month for illegal drugs like marijuana and methamphetamines. Why doesn't anyone ever complain about the costs of illegal drugs? We just have our priorities mess up.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 AM

[quote=malamute;32062005]I suspect a very large number -- how many welfare recipients are growing marijuana plants that could also grow tomato plants and other vegetables to make up for food stamp cuts.

Well you need to a little bit better than "suspecting".

Quote:
Plus people manage to spend BILLIONS of dollars every month for illegal drugs like marijuana and methamphetamines. Why doesn't anyone ever complain about the costs of illegal drugs? We just have our priorities mess up.
....yea kinda because making them illegal have jacked up the cost.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
So then the govt is going to transport, train, and buy land for these people to live on?
No. They'll have to do that for themselves. No more government dependency. Unless you think so little of them that you believe they are incapable of doing so. Is that it? The bigotry of low expectations?

Quote:
How did these institutional investors get their money to invest? How do unions member contribute to it?
If you believe they contributed money towards their own pensions, pay them back exactly what they paid into the system. No more inflated pension payouts dependent upon corporate profits. Are you on board with that?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. They'll have to do that for themselves. No more government dependency. Unless you think so little of them that you believe they are incapable of doing so. Is that it? The bigotry of low expectations?
Ok... so are you now banishing the poor and irresponsible to the countryside? How is the going to be enforced?

Quote:
If you believe they contributed money towards their own pensions, pay them back exactly what they paid into the system. No more inflated pension payouts dependent upon corporate profits. Are you on board with that?
Shifting more of the profit to workers to spend or invest. Are you on board with that?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Ok... so are you now banishing the poor and irresponsible to the countryside? How is the going to be enforced?
Banishing? Are people "banished" to other locations when they accept a job elsewhere? Are college students "banished" when they attend colleges out of state? No to all of the above. One merely goes where one's best opportunity lies.

Quote:
Shifting more of the profit to workers to spend or invest. Are you on board with that?
Big problem with that. Federal, state, and local governments don't earn profits. Did it completely escape your attention that the union pension system referred to in my post, CalPERS, which identifies itself as one of our country's largest institutional investors, is the CALIFORNIA PUBLIC EMPLOYEES retirement system?

Old 11-02-2013, 12:09 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,035 times
Yes I do. Sadly people have lost all of their shame. All of it.

I was dropping my kid off at daycare the other day and overheard one of the mothers talking about her 4-sections at the tender age of 26. She drives a somewhat new Denali... And is on government's assistance for daycare for her kids. She is not even ashamed to talk about it either. Like it has become the norm to have children you can't afford and it is okay somehow?!!

My head just hurts thinking about it. I struggle to support my child and I as a single parent and I have vowed not to have another child until I graduate law school and have a decent income. I don't want other people to have to pay for my lack of judgement.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:01 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,714,640 times
It never fails to amaze me that conservatives always overhear these conversations...but I don't believe I have *ever* heard such talk. Or ever seen a SNAP card used to buy steak and lobster.

Somehow I don't think growing a tomato plant in your backyard is the answer to hunger or poverty. But y'all go right on thinking it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies