Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe the welfare system rewards the wrong people to reproduce in large numbers?
Yes 160 74.07%
No 42 19.44%
Yes/No 14 6.48%
Voters: 216. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 11:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,302,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Do you folks really think that Female x will use the Pill or have male X use a condom if she thought no more money would come her way from the State?

I could quit my job right now and divorce my husband, take the kids and get welfare. I could continue to have children for the next 10 years or so, steadily receiving small increments of welfare, food stamps and housing with each child born.

Why don't I do that? Why don't the vast majority do it?

Because its a red herring. And those who DO engage in such behavior have much larger issues than simply having babies to get more food stamps. It is a fallacy that government assistance is the cause of more babies being born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 11:50 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Clearly you're a Sowell worshiper and what he says is absolute truth IN YOUR OPINION. That's your right. However, you cannot force others to join your Sowell cult.

Btw, can you specifically point to Sowell saying that welfare benefits rewards the "wrong people" to reproduce in large numbers? What kind of study did he do to come up with that "fact" if he did?
Read Sowell's "Vision of the Anointed." Chock full of footnotes and citations providing the exact information you're requesting. Inform yourself.

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I could quit my job right now and divorce my husband, take the kids and get welfare. I could continue to have children for the next 10 years or so, steadily receiving small increments of welfare, food stamps and housing with each child born.

Why don't I do that? Why don't the vast majority do it?

Because its a red herring. And those who DO engage in such behavior have much larger issues than simply having babies to get more food stamps. It is a fallacy that government assistance is the cause of more babies being born.
Agreed. Which is why the OP's premise is preposterous.

16,212 posts, read 10,821,176 times
The poor have always had more children in this country. So welfare programs are not some sort of reward. Contrary to what many believe, most poor people I have known are ashamed to use the social welfare system, which is why most stay on it for less than 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Verifiable facts are an agenda? Since when?
In regards to Sowell. He does have an agenda. His "verifiable facts" are an agenda when he doesn't consider other "verifiable facts" in his writings, lectures, and ideologies that contradict the "facts" he is telling you that you are believing. And FWIW, I have read a few of his recent columns from this year and saw now "verifiable facts" at all. The most recent being about how black people are convinced by "race hustlers" that they cannot rise economically. LOL, how is that a verifiable fact. Also that there is an impending race war coming. That seems like paranoia to me. Another is that the 1920s were a booming decade because of politicians and he spoke of how low the unemployment rate was, which is odd being that unemployment was not readily tracked in the 1920s but people do estimate that it was low after the initial recession in the early 20s. But he didn't mention that people died on the job often in the 20s in industrialized cities, not mentioning the working conditions or mortality rate of those people on the job or the fact that the crash of 1929 was not caused directly by "rascal" government officials but by primarily by capitalist businessmen. Everyone did not roar during the "roaring 20s" and poverty was much worse than it is now even though more people worked.

It is also funny how many posters on CD-POC practically speak of similar things word for word as Sowell so you see how far his reach is felt in the racist wing of the conservative world. They really love their token black and he repeatedly even speaks ONLY of Al and Jesse in regards to "race hustlers" or "black leaders" again espousing what I and other black people on here state, that conservatives are the ones saying both of those guys are "black leaders." Black media does not claim them as leaders. They claim the president. But Sowell states Al and Jesse, as if it is a "fact" and the guillible racist wing of the conservative world lap it up and think it is the truth since Sowell is black so what he says about other black people must be true lol.

FWIW, I do feel he has become more and more warped with age. I feel sorry for him and think that people are actually taking advantage of him because he is black and credentialed. And right wing rags(online rags included) want to have some sort of validation so they seek him out due to him being black and credentialed. He is the only one of a few (black PhDs) they can get to make the people in the party who are borderline racist feel that they aren't really a racist.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 11-04-2013 at 12:07 PM..

Old 11-04-2013, 11:53 AM

89,002 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
In regards to Sowell. He does have an agenda. His "verifiable facts" are an agenda when he doesn't consider other "verifiable facts" in his writings, lectures, and ideologies that contradict the "facts" he is telling you that you are believing.
Here's your personal invitation to read "Vision of the Anointed" and dispute every single citation Sowell provides.

Get to it. Can't wait to see your rebuttal to Sowell's citations.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:56 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Read Sowell's "Vision of the Anointed." Chock full of footnotes and citations providing the exact information you're requesting. Inform yourself.

clearly you can't provide the info I asked from YOU. Maybe you should start a Thomas Sowell thread so you and his other fans can have a praise-fest. If you can't answer the questions I asked, that's a problem. I'm not reading and ENTIRE BOOK in an attempt to validate what you obviously cannot. Enough from the Sowell fan club already.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Here's your personal invitation to read "Vision of the Anointed" and dispute every single citation Sowell provides.

Get to it. Can't wait to see your rebuttal to Sowell's citations.
Why in the world do you think people will read and ENTIRE BOOK to validate your assertions? How much are you willing to PAY ($$$) someone to read and analyze the Sowell book and refute his every word? You don't think anyone would consider doing such a thing for free, do you? Also, why can't YOU provide the information yourself? Certainly you have read that book, so why can't you answer the questions?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Obviously Sowell is right when he says welfare doesn't work. Anyone with any brain can see that in spite of so many trillions being spent on these government handouts, poverty rates are rising and instead of people getting off welfare, more and more are getting into them.

All welfare does is create poverty and laziness.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:02 PM

Informed, YOU read the book. Why don't YOU tell us what you read?

Old 11-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obviously Sowell is right when he says welfare doesn't work. Anyone with any brain can see that in spite of so many trillions being spent on these government handouts, poverty rates are rising and instead of people getting off welfare, more and more are getting into them.

All welfare does is create poverty and laziness.

Welfare worked for me.

I'm sure there are many people here who can speak to how welfare helped them when they needed it too.

Welfare didn't make me lazy.

How does welfare create poverty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies