Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
WTF use is Sam's Club if you can't find one anywhere near you? I could be wrong but i think more people have a costco nearby than a Sam's Club.
Really? Maybe where you live. We have twice as many Sams as Costcos, if not more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 04:28 PM

41 posts, read 64,537 times
Hmm...$15/hour job for non-college educated fast food workers.... translation: increase in white collar pays Starting pay for college graduates: $35/hour Big Mac price increase: $10/big mac Give me a small coke for $5 please! Man I am going to love inflation to pay back my student loans...

Old 08-11-2013, 04:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
WTF use is Sam's Club if you can't find one anywhere near you? I could be wrong but i think more people have a costco nearby than a Sam's Club.
Costco has less stores than Sam's club.

Sams Club Map | Sams Club Locations
Costco Map | Costco Locations

Quote:
I have a suggestion which will cost money but not as much as we are paying now, and probably a lot less than we are paying now.

But we need to be open to experimentation and while there probably is a sweet spot (in cost / efficiency), it might take considerable tweaking and time to find it.

I've come grudgingly to the point where I think it's worth trying a pilot program to bribe young people, e.g. pay them $N for graduating high school with basic competencies - maybe even a payment of some amount for every year of competent high school progress...and then some amount per year until they reach some milestone such as perhaps a college degree or a certain annual earnings level, or if those fail, until a certain age when they're unlikely to have kids. (note that most of the productive teens will graduate, go to college, and make enough money to drop out of the program fairly quickly)

Welfare is like a disaster that keeps on taking, the costs of intergenerational welfare are staggering.
That would actually be a great way to give incentives to parents and kids. My parents did something similar. I would get paid for every A and B I got, but I didn't get a dime if I had any C's. Needless to say, I never had any C's. Implementation is another issue altogether.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:59 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Thousands do it all the time in striking for wage increases. Nothing new there.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:01 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,544,279 times
They'll automate fast food service and have far fewer workers in the stores.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:24 PM

994 posts, read 1,592,561 times
With the way people respond to this thread I'm glad I'm going down the self-employment route. Between the businesses that pay **** for hard work (not all minimum wage jobs are easy, many aren't) and Uncle $am taking more and more of my taxes at least I can have more control over my life. I'd guess that half the people on this site would be happy to have the majority of people work for $0.10 / hour, show up to work with a Masters degree and a fancy wardrobe and have them do the work of 6 people with no benefits. No one quits since Corporate America will petition for it to be illegal to quit your job (like in China) but they can toss you in the trash when you burn out. And people wonder why there's no loyalty; I'm sorry but I've heard the 'work hard and put up with the boss's bull**** and we might give you a better job and pay' sing-a-long before and it almost never pans out, unless you kiss the boss's ass or are related to HR/the owners. Would I strike for a minimum wage job? No. I'm figuring the company doesn't give a **** about anyone so why should I really care about them?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:36 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Minimum wage jobs are for high school kids that need an after school job. They aren't meant to support you, your wife, your dog, the flat screen TV, your smart phone and the 25 year old still living in your basement. If you are still doing a minimum wage job, you need to reflect how you screwed around when you were still in school and were unconcerned about your future. Now you are paying for it. This does not include people who have minimum wage jobs and also work for tips, or people who have minimum wage jobs but decent benefits, or people who have minimum wage jobs but with a clear path for advancement.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:51 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
I check my own stuff at any store that have a self-checkout....how much value does that position really have?????????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies