Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I've never worked as a cashier or a fast food service person. But I would hazard a guess that 40 hours a week on your feet in that environment are exhausting and hardly a walk in the park.
If it wasn't a walk in the park it would pay more than minimum wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Yes, it is a walk in the park.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,866 times
Quote:
I don't agree at all. The worst jobs are low-paying jobs. The higher up the ladder you go, the better the jobs get.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Minimum wage workers are expendable. If they strike, then they should be fired. They are not doing anything that is difficult, complicated, dangerous, significant, unusual etc. which would warrant a higher wage/salary. Another person could easily be trained to do what a minimum wage worker does.

[that's why they are paid minimum wage]
Not that this necessarily pplies to you, but your average middle manager/supervisor is neither doing anything difficult, complicated, significant, unusual or skilled. I often challenge folks to explain to me the "skills" involved in many management positions in our corporate landscape and I usually get nothing worth mentioning in response. In general, these are jobs that could be done without any education beyond high school and the jobs themselves are tremendously mundane and require only a modest level of intelligence. It used to be that many of these positions were filled by folks who worked their way up, but that is disappearing.

An accountant, an attorney, a physician...these are jobs that require skills, education and higher levels of intelligence. Most of these other positions of comparable pay do not. You're deluding yourself if you think they do. As I've said before, the average department manager at your local Walmart is responsible for millions in sales and thousands in profit over the next year and has to make use of more skills at work than your average 8-5 schlub every day of the week. It's actually not even close. I know, I've experienced both ends.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Yes, it is a walk in the park.
Have you worked a minimum wage job?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Not that this necessarily pplies to you, but your average middle manager/supervisor is neither doing anything difficult, complicated, significant, unusual or skilled. I often challenge folks to explain to me the "skills" involved in many management positions in our corporate landscape and I usually get nothing worth mentioning in response. In general, these are jobs that could be done without any education beyond high school and the jobs themselves are tremendously mundane and require only a modest level of intelligence. It used to be that many of these positions were filled by folks who worked their way up, but that is disappearing.

An accountant, an attorney, a physician...these are jobs that require skills, education and higher levels of intelligence. Most of these other positions of comparable pay do not. You're deluding yourself if you think they do. As I've said before, the average department manager at your local Walmart is responsible for millions in sales and thousands in profit over the next year and has to make use of more skills at work than your average 8-5 schlub every day of the week. It's actually not even close. I know, I've experienced both ends.
I agree.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:04 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I don't agree at all. The worst jobs are low-paying jobs. The higher up the ladder you go, the better the jobs get.
If minimum wage jobs are so bad why are people still doing them?

The farther up you go you get paid for your mind and not your back. We have many backs and fewer minds, hence you get paid more to think than to flip.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:09 PM

Quote:
If minimum wage jobs are so bad why are people still doing them?

The farther up you go you get paid for your mind and not your back. We have many backs and fewer minds, hence you get paid more to think than to flip.
A demonstrably false assertion. Good lord, it's almost scary that a grown man actually believes this kind of claptrap. You actually believe that pay is tied to the amount of intelligence a position requires? You serious, Clark?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingatU View Post
You are kidding I assume..... the hardest job I ever had was back when I was 20 as a short order cook..... non stop, lots of stamina, remembering many things yelled to me to make, dealing with whiny customers..... for min wage

The higher paying jobs generally are nice and easy and basically rewards for going to college...

You sound like a right winger who was left his daddy's business and now think that YOU accomplished something
He's a self-loathing peon, which comprises about 90% of the right-wingers who constantly make fun of those on the same economic plane as they themselves live.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:13 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
I worked for min wage in the 60's in summer for .65 cents an hour in high school,never thought of it as a career or ladder to anything but it bought me some records and smokes.not a freaking living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies