Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The point being just because a job doesn't require intelligence doesn't mean you don't need skill or experience. I used to deliver coal, it's not rocket science but you needed to know about 500 different roads and where there went. You needed to know if the truck was going to flip over and kill someone. You needed to know how to shovel correctly. You needed to know how long it was going to take to get from point A to point B. You needed to be able to look at space and know how many tons of coal would fit in it. You needed to know how many tons of coal was on the truck within 200 pounds. You needed to know it was good idea to have doggy treats in the truck ....

There was even physics involved. A physicists could get his calculator out and try and determine if the chute was at a steep enough angle but they can't look at it know if will or will not work.

All of those things come with years of experience. Someone of average intelligence could do that job but certainly no where close to how well I did it. Can't tell you how many times customers commented how easily a job went with me by myself as opposed to two guys previously.
By this description it sounds like you have empathy as well.

Any job with customers/dealing with people is best served when you know how to do your job as they would want it done if they could do it.

This obviously requires mastering your work but a bunch of folks who know their job still can't get to this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 10:09 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I had a total that was $6.50 once, I handed the clerk $11.50. She was like a deer caught in the headlights.
That happens when I go to the gas station by my parents house. Sad thing is, the guy is like 50 and keeps messing up my change.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Again, nothing but utter BS. If I wanted to, I could list a multitude of positions within science, academia, law enforcement, the justice system and any number of other sectors that require high levels of knowledge and intelligence that are compensated at comparatively low levels.

Some of you really struggle with comprehending that requirements or prerequisites for positions do not necessarily mean that such knowledge is actually required to complete the job satisfactorily. Why do companies increasingly insist on college degrees for positions that previously did not require such a level of attainment? Because these jobs have grown more difficult or complex? No, it is to whittle down the number of applicants to manageable levels, particularly in an economy like this one.

Again, I could interrogate some of you until next morning about some of these positions that "require more brainpower," and you will end up sounding like that middle manager on Office Space: "Damn it! I have people skills!!!"
Again I agree. Lots of the most brilliant people in academia are not pulling in huge salaries. And Masters level positions in academia, like Research Associates, pay next to nothing. Post-docs don't pay a lot.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:13 PM

27,130 posts, read 15,308,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
America's hourly wage battle heats up - Fortune Management

Thousands of minimum wage workers have been striking or planning on doing so because they demand higher wages than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 (Some states slightly higher) in year of 2013.

Any company that pays less than $9 an hour for any type of job should be embarrassed (although paying $15 an hour for fast food cashier is also too much). Also I'm not saying that minimum wage should be considered a job that could support a family, but common let's not be selfish. All big companies and even most small ones' could for sure give slightly higher wages. Even if prices will be a dollar or two higher for items, it's not a big deal for most middle and higher class people.

Costco is the only retail company that pays its worker good wages, and offers great benefits including paid day off on major holidays while still selling low pricing products. This company has been mentioned everywhere including by President Obama recently. They also have great business hours closing earlier than other retail places = more family time and higher quality of life. GOD BLESS COSTCO!

You must be of the "higher class" then if you don't realize how stretched things are right now already for most middle class families.

Prices have been steadily going up & up.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:15 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
America's hourly wage battle heats up - Fortune Management

Thousands of minimum wage workers have been striking or planning on doing so because they demand higher wages than the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 (Some states slightly higher) in year of 2013.

Any company that pays less than $9 an hour for any type of job should be embarrassed (although paying $15 an hour for fast food cashier is also too much). Also I'm not saying that minimum wage should be considered a job that could support a family, but common let's not be selfish. All big companies and even most small ones' could for sure give slightly higher wages. Even if prices will be a dollar or two higher for items, it's not a big deal for most middle and higher class people.

Costco is the only retail company that pays its worker good wages, and offers great benefits including paid day off on major holidays while still selling low pricing products. This company has been mentioned everywhere including by President Obama recently. They also have great business hours closing earlier than other retail places = more family time and higher quality of life. GOD BLESS COSTCO!
It's not even small business that pays minimum wage, it's the huge multi-national megaliths like McDonalds or Walmart.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,259,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Again, nothing but utter BS. If I wanted to, I could list a multitude of positions within science, academia, law enforcement, the justice system and any number of other sectors that require high levels of knowledge and intelligence that are compensated at comparatively low levels.

Some of you really struggle with comprehending that requirements or prerequisites for positions do not necessarily mean that such knowledge is actually required to complete the job satisfactorily. Why do companies increasingly insist on college degrees for positions that previously did not require such a level of attainment? Because these jobs have grown more difficult or complex? No, it is to whittle down the number of applicants to manageable levels, particularly in an economy like this one.

Again, I could interrogate some of you until next morning about some of these positions that "require more brainpower," and you will end up sounding like that middle manager on Office Space: "Damn it! I have people skills!!!"
Most everything you listed is governmental work and government work overpays at the lower end of educational skills while underpaying at the higher end.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Most everything you listed is governmental work and government work overpays at the lower end of educational skills and underpays at the higher end.
Lol...I'm living proof of this. ^

Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Most everything you listed is governmental work and government work overpays at the lower end of educational skills and underpays at the higher end.
Actually, we could delve exclusively into the private sector and go from there. For instance, why don't you pick out a Fortune 500 company and tell me how a higher level of intelligence, education and expertise is required to perform as a member of higher management than as a mid-level accountant at that company?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,035,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
This obviously requires mastering your work but a bunch of folks who know their job still can't get to this point.
Being self employed you have more skin in the game than just losing a job.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:26 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,880,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
You must be of the "higher class" then if you don't realize how stretched things are right now already for most middle class families.

Prices have been steadily going up & up.
I'm far from upper class. True, prices have been going up while wages haven't. Time to increase wages as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies