Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 02:07 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,851,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
See below:
So you have one comment by arguable one of the most fringe conservatives on this board, that came far after this repeated question was initially brought up - in the 3rd post of this thread, out of nowhere?

Not good enough.

This is nothing but childish deflection, IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 03:11 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,852,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
So you have one comment by arguable one of the most fringe conservatives on this board, that came far after this repeated question was initially brought up - in the 3rd post of this thread, out of nowhere?

Not good enough.

This is nothing but childish deflection, IMO.
Seems you like to play ignorant and play word games at the same time, then I expect you to fight all the comments the extreme right frequently make that implies that people on welfare are living the life of luxury. Why, I seem to remember the extreme right saying that our poor live lives of luxury because they have TVs and air conditioning , filet mignon, lobster, etc. Those are things that imply the poor are living a luxurious life on the taxpayer dime because the right wingers on here don't buy food like that. But, go ahead and play word games all you want, that is deflection

Old 07-31-2013, 03:36 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,220,228 times
Quote:
Seems you like to play ignorant and play word games at the same time, then I expect you to fight all the comments the extreme right frequently make that implies that people on welfare are living the life of luxury. Why, I seem to remember the extreme right saying that our poor live lives of luxury because they have TVs and air conditioning , filet mignon, lobster, etc. Those are things that imply the poor are living a luxurious life on the taxpayer dime because the right wingers on here don't buy food like that. But, go ahead and play word games all you want, that is deflection
Actually, it is called brainwashing, that is, listening to way too much RW TPM's and not forming an opinion from being intellectually honest, but is mere parroting of what has been heard.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:05 AM

545 posts, read 399,429 times
No one said life on the dole was "luxurious". The point was that life on the dole is easy and comfortable. So much so that they have 3 times the birthrate of those not on welfare. So much so that it's generational in some families. I have overheard people, very young and able-body people discuss tactics on gaming the system.

Another thing is that those who make a career out of being on the dole have very low standards. I mean those housing projects aren't a beacon of productivity or hell even cleanliness now are they? If you have low standards then eating cheap, unhealthy goods bought with food-stamps, living in crime-infested communities and taking the bus becomes possible and acceptable. My point is that with such low expectations, a welfare check could easily fund those low expectations. For a life of stable welfare income in exchange for a lowered standard of living. I mean if you could work for $500 or get $300 for free, which would you take?. Most would take the $300 because it's easy and stress-free, all you have to do is lower yourself.

So no, stop with the stupid straw-man of "if welfare is so good then why don't you get on it". Because some of us like to live in nice communities, drive nice cars, and eat good food.

Last edited by EricGold; 07-31-2013 at 04:30 AM..

Old 07-31-2013, 04:16 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,003,519 times
Quote:
I think you miss the point.

"Welfare" is public assistance for those in NEED.

If you have big screen TV's, eat luxury foods and have rims on your car that are worth more than the car, you don't need our assistance.

That's the point.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:03 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well alpha, if being poor is so great like you appear to claim, why don't you do it yourself?
He asked a question, he didn't say or even give any indication that being poor was "great."

Old 07-31-2013, 05:09 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,516,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
No it's not. And no you don't see people buying steak & lobster with them either, as you previously posted. That's the biggest lie I see coming out of the mouths of conservatives, it's to the point that it is laughable.
No? I saw a woman buying two carts of food (complete with ribs) for an entire cookout over the weekend. I also see them buying case after case of soft drinks to take back to their bodegas.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:15 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,903,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricGold View Post
No one said life on the dole was "luxurious". The point was that life on the dole is easy and comfortable. So much so that they have 3 times the birthrate of those not on welfare. So much so that it's generational in some families. I have overheard people, very young and able-body people discuss tactics on gaming the system.

Another thing is that those who make a career out of being on the dole have very low standards. I mean those housing projects aren't a beacon of productivity or hell even cleanliness now are they? If you have low standards then eating cheap, unhealthy goods bought with food-stamps, living in crime-infested communities and taking the bus becomes possible and acceptable. My point is that with such low expectations, a welfare check could easily fund those low expectations. For a life of stable welfare income in exchange for a lowered standard of living. I mean if you could work for $500 or get $300 for free, which would you take?. Most would take the $300 because it's easy and stress-free, all you have to do is lower yourself.

So no, stop with the stupid straw-man of "if welfare is so good then why don't you get on it". Because some of us like to live in nice communities, drive nice cars, and eat good food.
First, as income increases, birthdate declines. That is true everywhere -- unless you are arguing that African plains people have many children due to generous welfare. We also find that there is greater unwed and teen birth rates in southern red states. Are the welfare benefits in red states more generous? Quite the opposite, which discredits the theory that welfare causes a greater birth rate.

Second, welfare is limited to five years. The permanent welfare that you speak was reformed in 1996.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:22 AM

1,922 posts, read 1,741,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
That's how some members here are getting by, from what that couple and many others like them paid into the system,
They get by not from money they saved but by the government taxing the wage earners of today.

Quote:
The government run social security program depends on people like I mentioned earlier not living to their life expectancy.
You think that is a good system? Sounds like theft to me.

Quote:
I'm still waiting for the top 5% to create jobs in America.
Once we get rid of the petulant children in DC we can begin a recovery.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 AM

3,966 posts, read 10,675,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They already get free housing, free food, free phones, free utilities, free education, free utilities, etc.

Now they complain about the cost of diapers.

What exactly are they responsible for providing themselves?

At the very least, can they keep their neighborhoods clean?
I was talking to my coworker about this. If they spent their month budget on cloth diapers, they wouldn't have this problem. Cloth diapers are so much better then those crappy throw away. Never have a blow out ever again with new age cloth diapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies