Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:11 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times

Advertisements

Well, if this happening (birth tourism), somebody benefit from it financially. For example, doctors and hospitals - they still getting paid thanks to medicaid.
I don't care if people are getting here to give birth if they can pay for their expenses, but they are coming with money on their account or even cash (upon entering the US custom/immigration officers ask to verify it since they see women about to pop up), but they prefer to use our system.
Looks like medicaid office is working too slow regarding paperwork check like visa or income. Check for citizenship status within 3 days (make people go to the office to proof it) and ask for form 1040 for prev. year - it will illuminate a lot of applicants and save a lot of money.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:12 PM

808 posts, read 662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
You guys are all missing the point.

Anyone should be free to take up citizenship (and live) wherever they want. The only "problem" with this is that we have apparently made it too hard for the mother to obtain citizenship that she has to "trick" the system in order to get her kids citizenship.

Let the mother easily become a citizen (and therefore pass it down to her kids) and this isn't an issue anymore. "Problem" solved.
really? maybe we will just offer passports to anybody willing in all American embassies? For free, obviously

oh, wait, some might not be able to get to the capital cities - how about American taxpayer sponsoring a program when American government officials will travel to the remote dirt holes all over the world and offer American passports with American citizenship payed by American taxpayer? I think that will solve the "problem" even better

Old 07-30-2013, 07:16 PM

3,826 posts, read 5,806,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
reading comprehension problems?

it is their KIDS who are eligible for Medicaid, not the women
women are "eligible" too until they receive denial from medicaid office. Anyone who applies are getting temporary medicaid "gold" card and it takes 4-6 weeks to get either approval or denial... Or emergency medicaid - used very often by woman who are getting to US with one purpose to give birth free of charge.
By the way, most women coming here are on tourists visa which was given for travel purposes and not for medical emergencies.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
$2 billion a year in "emergency medicaid" with the majority of the money paying for births.

Medicaid Helps Hospitals Pay For Illegal Immigrants

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Changing birthright citizenship is the correct way to go.

That's what countries are doing. They are not banning pregnant women but their newborns are not citizens.
This is the way it should be.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
women are "eligible" too until they receive denial from medicaid office. Anyone who applies are getting temporary medicaid "gold" card and it takes 4-6 weeks to get either approval or denial... Or emergency medicaid - used very often by woman who are getting to US with one purpose to give birth free of charge.
By the way, most women coming here are on tourists visa which was given for travel purposes and not for medical emergencies.
theyare not. you have to file the application and there are a lot of needed papers to be provided, including last year tax forms, proof of residency ( not immigration residency, but residing in a state), SSN, some states require permanent residency proof as well.

Kids are automatic citizens and kids usually have separate programs, however, I suspect that document filing is still necessary - it is standard bureaucracy.

The trend exists but it is not that easy with details. Plus one can be denied entry in the airport - the last decision for issuing you a visa is upon the officer in the airport. If you are about to pop out you might be denied entry.
Usually these wealthy women come way in advance when it is not visible.

there is other "tourism" booming nowadays in Miami area - there is a direct flight from London , 6 hours, so every day some 75+ English retirees who have been kicked off their dialysis ( no dialysis after 75 - you are too old - pleasures of the socialized medicine) then they immediately hit the ER doors and guess what - the social workers are helping them to get not only emergency medicaid but a route to green card since deporting them will be unusually cruel punishment.

Pretty lucrative business for immigration lawyers.

The other trick is - get operated in the US, then travel to a number of Latin American countries get operated there for only purpose of placing the lap ( special surgical cloth) inside the belly and then come back and sue the American hospital for millions for "forgotten" lap.

this got to the point of such idiocy that some hospitals require obligatory X-ray of the abdominal area after any abdominal surgery

Oh, there are many ways to milk the system

Old 07-30-2013, 07:31 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
A better way would be to reinterpret birthright citizenship. Birth tourism is only a part of the problem. Illegals come here and give birth on our soil also. Both of the above makes a mockery out of our citizenship and costs us billions.
I agree.... It all needs to stop.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
The US can't ban travel by pregnant women (goes against that whole bill of rights thing in the US Constitution, you know the SUPREME LAW OF THE LAND)

It was tried once, and that got the US into a lot of trouble.
Sure they can and they do.

It is not advisable to show up in American embassy seeking a tourist visa being visibly pregnant - you will be denied, no matter how wealthy you are.

And nobody will be able to sue anybody - American embassy or consulate is not obliged to explain the reason for denial. BY LAW. It is in every visa application - see the fine text
Stamping denied in the passport - and arrivederci, amore.

So the birth tourists are actually the ones who are really planning.

Because they can be denied the actual visa already in the airport - and no explanation is necessary as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:51 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Anchor baby is the common verbage used in America.
Nit picking on legal wording doesn't change what is happening in America.

Nearly 25% of American children have parents that are not citizens.
Incorrect for your wording, let's get a little more specific (data sourced from the Pew Hispanic Center, almost three years ago: http://www.pewhispanic.org/2010/08/1...rn-children/):

23% of children in the United States below the age of 18 have at least one parent that is not a U.S. citizen. Of those, 16% had parents with immigration status (either two Legal Permanent Resident parents, or an LPR parent and U.S. citizen parent). 7% had at least one parent that is an illegal alien (two illegal alien parents, an illegal alien parent and an LPR parent, or an illegal alien parent and a U.S. citizen parent).

A child below the age of 18 with non-citizen parent(s) doesn't necessarily mean they are born in the United States themselves, around 8% of legal immigrants are children (including adopted orphans)...

Illegal alien mothers are more likely to be paired with LPR or U.S. citizen fathers (rather than an illegal alien father). 80% of illegal alien mothers were present at least one year before the birth (the child was conceived in the United States), and half (50%) had been present at least five years. Illegal aliens have more ability to attempt immigration status being married to a U.S. citizen rather than through their child, waiting until the "Anchor Baby" turns 21 to attempt to sponsor them.

Illegal alien fathers are also more likely to be paired with an LPR or U.S. citizen mother...

100% of the children in my household have at least one parent that is not a U.S. citizen (with my wife being a Legal Permanent Resident, but they are also LPRs). My Granddaughter, born in the United States, has a non-citizen mother (my eldest stepdaughter). These are children that will not (likely) provide any immigration status for their parent(s) later.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,076,342 times
Quote:
You demonstrate your constant treading into Birtherism. Reality: Wong Kim Ark established that those born OF Chinese Immigrants on US Soil, were citizens from birth.
Please show my comment of me saying otherwise.

Quote:
The CHINESE EXCLUSION ACT prevented CHINESE immigrants (who were already on US SOIL) from NATURALIZING to become citizens of the US. The US tried to use this against Wong Kim Ark, when he tried to return to America after visiting China (they let him pass the first time, but gave him trouble when he returned on his 2nd trip home from China). The USSC said that the US was in the wrong. That Wong Kim Ark, born to immigrant Chinese parents in San Francisco, CA, was a CITIZEN from birth.
Again, show where I have said otherwise.

Quote:
The act was subsequently repealed in 1943 due to pressure from China (since they were an ally in World War II).

We are discussing those born on US Soil, being citizens from Birth (and what many posters say are misinterpretations of the 14th Amendment). That is the ISSUE I'm speaking to and what MY posts were addressing.
And I have shown how your points didn't address what they were discussing.

Quote:
I apologize if this was confusing you, but if you read my replies, I was addressing the issue of the 14th amendment.
There is nothing confusing for me. I addressed your comments as you stated them, you've made claims that are factually incorrect and were shown such, that simple.

Quote:
As for banning pregnant women who are tourists, that will NEVER happen. Nor will their visas be denied, simply for being pregnant, and nor will Visas for those who are here to work or be a student will be taken away for simply being pregnant. Being pregnant is not a valid reason to ban someone from entering the US, and no politician will sacrifice his potential re-election bid will take up that position to try and pass laws to do so.
Pregnant women can be denied entry into the US, this is already happening. https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...BZS3l3bA%3D%3D
Quote:
Visit the U.S. while pregnant and the risks involved

Can I visit the U.S. while pregnant and what are the risks involved?

Although there are no specific regulations prohibiting pregnant foreign nationals from entering the U.S., entry is allowed or denied at the discretion of the admitting U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. If the CBP Officer determines that you are likely to become a ward of the government (meaning that the government must provide medical care because you do not have medical coverage), you can be denied entry. When determining if you will be allowed to enter the U.S., CBP Officers take into consideration the date your child is due for delivery and the length of time you intend to stay in the U.S. In addition, they want evidence that you have sufficient medical insurance to cover any medical necessities while you are in the U.S. and that you intend to return home. If it is determined that you do not have sufficient medical insurance to cover any unexpected or expected medical care while in the U.S., you can be denied entry. Additionally, if you are pregnant and entering the U.S. at a border port of entry via vehicle, be aware the radiation detection portals deployed at the ports do not emit any radiation, and do not present a hazard to you and your unborn child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies