Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree .... Minimum wage jobs were not meant to be careers but stepping stones to better opportunities. Some folks say that college isn't for everyone but many community colleges offer vocational certificates and trade degrees so at least learn a new skill or trade to make yourself more marketable. With financial aid available to low income earners, you can't say college is too expensive.
CCs also offer GED education which many of them need first.
Libraries offer free English lessons.

http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2012/ted_20120306.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 11:50 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If there's not a growing number of jobs what does that do for the collective population??

I feel the government should encourage corporations to give back to their employee base through tax incentives and policy. More money needs to be going to employees rather than investors.
So I should recieve a diminished return on my investments for my retirement? Nice...

Old 08-04-2013, 12:14 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
I agree .... Minimum wage jobs were not meant to be careers but stepping stones to better opportunities. Some folks say that college isn't for everyone but many community colleges offer vocational certificates and trade degrees so at least learn a new skill or trade to make yourself more marketable. With financial aid available to low income earners, you can't say college is too expensive.

??? Not every low income earner gets financial aid, I had a dysfunctional family situation that screwed me out of financial aid. And today I can't even afford community college.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:43 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,130 times
Quote:
Some form of Federal Financial Aid in the form of student loans (whether subsidized or not) is available to anyone and everyone. About the only U.S. Citizens who are ineligible are those who had taken out prior loans and have subsequently defaulted.

There is no excuse. Whether a person is better suited for trade school or college, it's available for all.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:26 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Inane puff post.

Clearly this poster is too ignorant or just unwilling to understand basic economics or even simply acknowledge history. History has demonstrated without a shadow of a doubt that such initiatives do not work.

Taxpayers would have to fund such a scheme to guarantee a base income, plus benefits, thus increasing the tax burden on the employed, and lowering their standard of living.

But guaranteeing a base income would also increase inflation; no different than the same effect as raising the minimum wage. (Every time the notion of raising the minimum wage is proposed, the same economic facts come to light.)

Such an inane proposal would lower everyone's standard of living and do nothing but exasperate unemployment challenges in the long term. The only difference is the cost to society would be that much more higher.

Everyone already pays more with Obama at the helm. Imagine what it would be like if such an initiative became a reality?

Fortunately such ideas of a guaranteed income have been repeatedly explored in the past, and in the end they have been abandoned for good reason.

Your own post gives away your inflationista fallacy. Notice how potatoes rose dramatically? How much of your monthly budget is potatoes? I'd guess something like 1% or less. Notice how housing dropped by 6%? Housing is roughly 25% of a family budget. When housing drops by 6%, it has far more of an impact than the rise in potatoes and butter, minor items.

That's exactly why the CPI is weighted. Also, a 6% rise in price (e.g. inflation) over Obama's entire administration is very low inflation.

Moreover, there is no evidence that raising the minimum wage is inflationary. Those that argue that it is always seem to ignore CEO bonuses and their effect on inflation. The bonuses that CEOs in major companies receive is typically equal to tens of thousands of employee salaries. How come nobody worries about inflation when CEOs get bonuses?

Old 08-04-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Your own post gives away your inflationista fallacy. Notice how potatoes rose dramatically? How much of your monthly budget is potatoes? I'd guess something like 1% or less. Notice how housing dropped by 6%? Housing is roughly 25% of a family budget. When housing drops by 6%, it has far more of an impact than the rise in potatoes and butter, minor items.
Tell that to a mother who is trying to feed her family on "inexpensive" calories, like Potatoes and the like. You also fail to calculate that Potatoes are a commodity, and are an ingredient in many foodstuffs; thus affecting the price of much more than just an order of McDonald's French Fries.

Quote:
That's exactly why the CPI is weighted. Also, a 6% rise in price (e.g. inflation) over Obama's entire administration is very low inflation.
Economists argue till the cows come home whether the CPI is truly reflective or not of reality if it is weighted. For every economist you can cite that supports your assertion, I can cite another who disagrees.

Quote:
Moreover, there is no evidence that raising the minimum wage is inflationary. Those that argue that it is always seem to ignore CEO bonuses and their effect on inflation. The bonuses that CEOs in major companies receive is typically equal to tens of thousands of employee salaries. How come nobody worries about inflation when CEOs get bonuses?
Your assertion about CEO salaries and its supposed impact is fallacious; It is a red herring employed by Left-Wingers to incite avarice. Such a diversion is no more honest than a game of Three-Card Monte. Nice try though.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:32 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,203,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Not every low income earner gets financial aid, I had a dysfunctional family situation that screwed me out of financial aid. And today I can't even afford community college.
Why don't you qualify for pull grants, stafford loans, things like the qualified unemployment tuition waiver program? Additionally, why not spend time at a library studying to get an entry level job at a company that pays tuition to current employees? An old coworker of mine got his foot in the door working a minimum wage job for the company and got them to pay for his bachelors as well as masters degrees 100%. He had to commit to several years at the company after he was done, but there are a lot of options out there if you actually want to go back to school.

There is also the fact that many schools (Harvard is one of them) don't require students whose family income falls below $40,000-ish to pay a dime for tuition.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:46 PM

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense.

Anyone can get Federal Student Loans; whether they be subsidized or unsubsidized. The only limiting factor otherwise would be if they have defaulted on past Federal Student Loans.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:01 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,451,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Some form of Federal Financial Aid in the form of student loans (whether subsidized or not) is available to anyone and everyone. About the only U.S. Citizens who are ineligible are those who had taken out prior loans and have subsequently defaulted.

There is no excuse. Whether a person is better suited for trade school or college, it's available for all.

I'm living on a poverty level income and paying almost 10% of my income on my defaulted student loans. In the meantime, borrowers making $15K qualify for an "affordable" monthly payment of zero.

I can't afford to go to school and can't afford to get my loan out of default...and if I had a financial emergency, I would probably end up homeless.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:15 PM

Quote:
I'm living on a poverty level income and paying almost 10% of my income on my defaulted student loans. In the meantime, borrowers making $15K qualify for an "affordable" monthly payment of zero.

I can't afford to go to school and can't afford to get my loan out of default...and if I had a financial emergency, I would probably end up homeless.
Here is a link about deferment and forbearance. If I understand what you're saying, it sounds like you were once in default, but are now making payments.... if that is the case, if a person is not more than 270 days behind in loan payments, they may qualify for a deferment.

Student Loans: Cancellation, Deferment, and Forbearance | Nolo.com

Once you get the deferment, it may be possible to re-initiate new aid to go back.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies