Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 08:49 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
I am not one of the flag waving Veterans that thinks in narrow terms like you are either for or against the troops. You are free to your beliefs and opinions as the next person is, and I thank you for your service. I disagree with the notion that we are no longer fighting for our freedom. The attacks on the United States on September 11, 2001 were orchestrated and executed by Al Queda, which enjoyed safe harbor in Afghanistan as guests of the Taliban. Had AQ and the Taliban not been disrupted, the attacks would continue to today, and this represents a very real threat to our nation. Iraq was a known state sponsor of terrorism, and provided material support to AQ, Hezbollah, and a number of other groups that sought to harm American interests both domestically and abroad. I will agree that following the initial invasion of Iraq, there was a breakdown in planning for the time period following combat operations that led to destabilization of the local government and fueled the subsequent sectarian problems we found ourselves in. Intervention in the Balkans, while not in direct support of our national safety, was done as a moral imperative. The genocide that took place in Bosnia and Kosovo was nothing short of evil.

Being against war is NOT being against the troops.

Learn the difference.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
My father was an officer in the Air Force. His father was an Army Air Corp pilot trainer during WW2. Our family's military service record goes back to the Revolutionary War.

My daughter and my son are active duty (Army and Air Force). My other daughter is married to an Air Force officer. My exhusband (kids' dad) is an Army officer. My brother is a Marine.

Everyone who has served in the military in my family has spent time - usually more than a year - in combat zones. Currently, we have active duty family members in Guam and in the UK. My cousin is in Hawaii. My son just left Korea.

Not a single family member regrets their decision to join the military. However, several do regret getting out before retirement.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Yep.

I spent 8 years in the Army.

Didn't realize at the time (few do) but I signed up to be killed or maimed because politicians can't get along. It would be different if we fought wars that actually protected us.

Somehow I don't think Somalia, Bosnia, Kosovo, etc. were a threat to the United States, but that's just me.

Fortunately, I was never hurt.

In case anyone wonders, I didn't die either.
Didn't relize it at the time What do people think the Military exist for? I couldn't stand to hear guys crying "I didn't sign up for this". sheesh......

Old 07-31-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Didn't relize it at the time What do people think the Military exist for? I couldn't stand to hear guys crying "I didn't sign up for this". sheesh......
Right - just what part of "military uniform," "Iraq," "Afghanistan," "PTSD," "IEDs," weapons of mass destruction," "9-11" did they just not catch?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:54 AM

2,295 posts, read 2,369,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Being against war is NOT being against the troops.

Learn the difference.
That is exactly what I said in my comment you quoted. Appreciate the validation, but try some comprehension, not just knee jerk, reactionary responses.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:33 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXStrat View Post
That is exactly what I said in my comment you quoted. Appreciate the validation, but try some comprehension, not just knee jerk, reactionary responses.

Sorry, I knee jerked my foot right into my mouth.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:03 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Right - just what part of "military uniform," "Iraq," "Afghanistan," "PTSD," "IEDs," weapons of mass destruction," "9-11" did they just not catch?
Not sure where you going with the above but my point was that the Military by defination is an extremely harzadous vocation. I'm confident that some research would show that as many or more service people have been killed during peacetime as have been lost in the recent and ongoing unpleasentness...The fact that someone would volunteer for service and not undersatnd or realize that death is a footstep away baffles the imaginazation

Old 07-31-2013, 04:35 PM

5,299 posts, read 4,847,626 times
Quote:
Not sure where you going with the above but my point was that the Military by defination is an extremely harzadous vocation. I'm confident that some research would show that as many or more service people have been killed during peacetime as have been lost in the recent and ongoing unpleasentness...The fact that someone would volunteer for service and not undersatnd or realize that death is a footstep away baffles the imaginazation
Of course it didn't have very many casualties, but over the span of the Desert Shield / Desert Storm action, there was more servicemembers killed in vehicle accidents in the United States. I reference that campaign because my closest call came on the first deployment there. There are much more hazardous positions, but on average I don't equate modern-day service as been necessarily dangerous, it depends on where you are and what you do.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:50 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
Interesting map.

The southeast states are high for military servivce.
Mostly bcs it is a stable job. There are few jobs for young people in the southeast unless they want to work in dead end retail or food service.

Its interesting how the demographics break up, bcs redder states do have military service most often. Right now the economy in states like SC , parts of TN and NC is practically dead. So its understandable why young people not attending college enlist.

SW Virginia also, bcs it is really a rural 'desert'. Many non- functioning and bankrupted farms , also

Old 07-31-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
That was my point exactly. I don't see how ANYONE could join the military and not understand that their job description is WARFARE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies