Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 10:17 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,628,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
I used to give 50 cents here, a dollar there until I wised up and realized it goes to their drug and/or alcohol addiction. Now, I give nothing. I wish these people (I know, some of them have mental issues) would stop making their problems everybody else's problems. YOU screwed your own life up, don't look at others to support your poor decisions.
Lol....its been 30the years since I got panhandled that way. I did give him a stash of change in my pocket. Probably 5bucks. BUT....he was honest with me. Says: Son, I'm not gonna Bull**** ya. I need a drink. If ya can spare I thank you." My then still teenage brain says...hmmm ...fair nuf.
Figger, I'd do the same now, being able to do so. Don't carry cash much any more. But...whatever. Hard as I am about some things, I read people pretty well. Honesty counts. Hell, that drink he bought with that change...might have killed him, may have been his last, and he pulled it together. Don't know. But, at least he was honest with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 10:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
No. Phoenix is home of the quick dollar bum.There are so many fakes in this town, glad they are gone because of the heat.
tucson isnt far behind though. these two posts are the reason i dont give money to beggars. that and i worked with the homeless for a while. when i found out that they can eat six times per day for free, and i can tell you that some of the donations i picked up for the hospitality house were high end food, they eat pretty well daily if they want to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I used to, but there are too many out there that are professional beggars who view this as an easy way to make unreported money. One man wheeled up to me in a motorized wheelchair and asked for money. I gave him a few dollars, and he wheeled away with a smirk on his face like he had just gotten one over on me. At the time I wasn't working, and realized he probably was collecting disability and other perks and was most likely doing better than I was. That did it for me....I no longer give any money to anyone I don't know.
one thing about that person that bummed money from you while in a wheelchair, chances are good that the wheelchair was a prop, and had you followed them stealthily until they were done begging, you might have found that they could walk quite nicely and probably drove a fairly expensive car and lived in a fairly expensive home.

Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
I used to give 50 cents here, a dollar there until I wised up and realized it goes to their drug and/or alcohol addiction. Now, I give nothing. I wish these people (I know, some of them have mental issues) would stop making their problems everybody else's problems. YOU screwed your own life up, don't look at others to support your poor decisions.
Yes. I'm not responsible for what they do with the money. I'm responsible for what I do with the money. While I realize most lie and use it for drugs and alcohol, I don't think that's reason to punish the ones who don't lie. Maybe I do buy alcohol for 9 out of 10 but I could be buying food for number 10. And besides, begging for change to buy drugs and alcohol beats robbing people or other illegal activities.

I once worked for a company where a blind man sat outside all day and begged for change. I got to know him because he'd come in at the end of the day and ask me to count his tally and I'd change it in for bills and mark them for him so he knew which denomination they were. I'd hate to think people didn't give to him because someone else abused begging.

There but for the grace of God go I....

Old 07-31-2013, 10:59 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
I figure the people who give bums money are in part resposible for their plight. Many people turn to begging because they know some people will give.
If they knew no one would give them money they would find other ways to survive like working.
Some street people are mentally ill and there are programs to help those people, but the majority of people with signs in their hands on street corners are porfessional bums, and some of them earn more than the stupid saps giving them their money.
If not one person gives to these homeless people. And they know not one person will, i do not believe all of these homeless wil want to find a job. Maybe some, but surely not all of them.

And at what point, would some of these people become violent, when no one gives to them.

You can tell the real homeless people now, i really look now. From those who are scammers then walk right into their fancy Lexus.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:01 AM

15,530 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
No. On occasion, I have handed them food though.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Nope, though I have sometimes given them food...either for themselves, or for their dog if they have one. A homeless person's dog can be their absolute salvation and they need to eat too.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I usually do. Except for the ones who pretend that they were military veterans.

Oooh, those chap my hide. I did pick up the tab for a D-Day veteran at a fast food place once, though.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:10 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:

Do you give money to bums on the street?

Usually. If they truly look down and out, I do. Most of our homeless are mentally ill. If they want to buy booze or drugs with that money, it's none of my business. If I lived that kind of life, I'd want a temporary escape, too.
If it's kids begging for cash for bus money to Toronto, I don't. The same kids have been "going to Toronto" for 3 years.
Many of the kids have dogs with them. I do carry dog food in the car. No reason for the dogs to suffer because of irresponsible owners. It's always very much appreciated.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:12 AM

2,149 posts, read 1,516,462 times
This is a personal attack OP and from a uninformed base. First of all there are more thieving, doped up, drunk, lazy "normal" people than homeless people. Not everyone on the street is a "bum"! Of the nearly 3 million homeless 20%+/- are Vets, at least 1 million are children. I am a homeless man who does NOT smoke, drink, do drugs and have never and will never panhandle! Its people like you that make me think maybe returning to the "normal" people isn't such a hot idea.......and instead of handing out cash its best to offer them a meal, a ride to a food/clothes bank or shelter.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:21 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
If they aren't physically disabled I sometimes offer them a job, come cut my lawn, do yard work for example and pay them $15.00 an hour.

If I notice they are disabled I often give them a couple of bucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies