Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 01:41 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
really? you said nothing negative about christians? how about pulling up a "study" that claims christians think atheists are as low as child molesters? you dont think that is negative? you think that is somehow a positive thing?
If you can pull up a study that contradicts this, that says Americans embrace atheists and find them stalwart and trustworthy, by all means post it. I'll be happy to read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,477,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
There are some cool a__ atheists that are extraordinarily good people that are very tolerant of people of all religions. Too bad the militant atheists outnumber them and are more vocal.
I think that's a misconception, but I think I also see where it comes from. In America, as opposed to, say, France or the Czech Republic, it takes a certain amount of militance to choose to adopt the word atheist in the first place. One has to deal with such subterranean ignorance here that if you admit to being an atheist, some people will conclude that you're a Communist or some similarly stupid non sequitur. So many people who believe religion is a bunch of hooey just as much as any atheist does, but who wish to be polite and not start an argument, normally just say "I'm not religious." They don't describe themselves as atheists and may not even think of themselves that way in private, but practically speaking that's what they are.

When people become less scared of the word, more non-militant atheists will be represented.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:41 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I think that's a misconception, but I think I also see where it comes from. In America, as opposed to, say, France or the Czech Republic, it takes a certain amount of militance to choose to adopt the word atheist in the first place. One has to deal with such subterranean ignorance here that if you admit to being an atheist, some people will conclude that you're a Communist or some similarly stupid non sequitur. So many people who believe religion is a bunch of hooey just as much as any atheist does, but who wish to be polite and not start an argument, normally just say "I'm not religious." They don't describe themselves as atheists and may not even think of themselves that way in private, but practically speaking that's what they are.

When people become less scared of the word, more non-militant atheists will be represented.
Fallacious. But nice try.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:38 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
Indeed. This reminds me of something Thomas Sowell once said:

Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:46 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I quoted a reputable study from a respected source. I pointed out facts. It's not quite the same as "Atheists are miserable, aggressive and abrasive." "Atheists are arrogant and self-centered." "Atheists only worship Obama" or "Atheists are too dumb to know any better."
See the difference? One of these things is not like the other.
yes a study, as in singular, from a reputable source, again singular. one study from one source does not mean anything. give me several studies from several reputable sources, ones whose politics are unquestionably unbiased, then we will talk.

and by the way, university studies are NOT politically unbiased.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
yes a study, as in singular, from a reputable source, again singular. one study from one source does not mean anything. give me several studies from several reputable sources, ones whose politics are unquestionably unbiased, then we will talk.

I'll jump in and help out. As per my previous post, citing two different sources both from reputable organizations. The first was peer reviewed, the second from Gallup:

Quote:
I believe the study referenced by previous poster(s) is one which was published by The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 2011. That periodical is not some two-bit journal, but rather one which is published by the American Psychological Association. With a focus on empirical research, the JPSP is regarded as one of the top journals in the fields of Personality Psychology and Social Psychology.

Importantly, the study found, as a result of research undertaken by the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon:
"a broad sample of American adults revealed that distrust characterized anti-atheist prejudice, but not anti-gay prejudice (Study 1). In subsequent studies, distrust of atheists generalized even to participants from more liberal, secular populations. A description of a criminally untrustworthy individual was seen as comparably representative of atheists and rapists, but not representative of Christians, Muslims, Jewish people, feminists, or homosexuals (Studies 2-4)."

The studies published by The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology are not the only indicator of the general population's distrust of atheists. Indeed, Gallup in 2011, while surveying the likeliness of Americans voting for a Mormon President, captured America's distrust of Atheists by happenstance:

Old 08-03-2013, 11:54 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Except Christian Conservatives regard you as an evil that must be purged. Given enough power, there would be no place in America for anyone who doesn't pray, look, or talk like them. Do not think for a second that they would tolerate your existence in their "Paradise on Earth". Most Christian Conservatives hold a special contempt against atheists otherwise reserved for child molesters and serial killers.
This is what liberals say that religious conservatives want. It is not what religious conservatives want.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
I believe the study referenced by previous poster(s) is one which was published by The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology in 2011. That periodical is not some two-bit journal, but rather one which is published by the American Psychological Association. With a focus on empirical research, the JPSP is regarded as one of the top journals in the fields of Personality Psychology and Social Psychology.

Importantly, the study found, as a result of research undertaken by the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon:
"a broad sample of American adults revealed that distrust characterized anti-atheist prejudice, but not anti-gay prejudice (Study 1). In subsequent studies, distrust of atheists generalized even to participants from more liberal, secular populations. A description of a criminally untrustworthy individual was seen as comparably representative of atheists and rapists, but not representative of Christians, Muslims, Jewish people, feminists, or homosexuals (Studies 2-4)."

The studies published by The Journal of Personality and Social Psychology are not the only indicator of the general population's distrust of atheists. Indeed, Gallup in 2011, while surveying the likeliness of Americans voting for a Mormon President, captured America's distrust of Atheists by happenstance:

Flaming someone's post for merely pointing out these studies is akin to 'shooting the messenger.'

If you don't like those numbers, you are most certainly welcome to go pound sand.
This is not an indicator of the public's distrust of atheists. It is an indicator of their unwillingness to vote for one. The two are not the same thing.

I wouldn't take my car to my doctor to fix it, and I wouldn't go to my mechanic if I broke my arm. That doesn't mean I don't trust them, it means there are areas I would rather have someone else doing that particular job.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
mat you missed my point about university studies NOT being politically unbiased.

and by the way, many global warming studies were peer reviewed, and yet they have been debunked. so much for peer review as well

Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
This is not an indicator of the public's distrust of atheists. It is an indicator of their unwillingness to vote for one. The two are not the same thing.
Lol. You just keep thinking that, while the majority of America continues to distrust atheists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies