Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 08:34 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
Republicans who opposed slavery were called radicals, not conservatives.

Radical Republican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
They were called Christian Republicans. Isn't that what this thread is about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,210,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They were called Republicans.
You called them Republican conservatives, their peers called them Radical Republicans.

You are mistaken.

The conservatives opposed the Emancipation Proclamation.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:44 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You called them Republican conservatives, their peers called them Radical Republicans.

You are mistaken.

The conservatives opposed the Emancipation Proclamation.
There are different meanings to the term "conservative." there are social conservatives, religious conservatives, economic conservatives and Constitutional conservatives. In this context we are talking about religious conservatives, as in devout or practicing Christians, as opposed to people who are not. People who are not devout or practicing Christians aren't influenced by their religion.

You are correct, today, the establishment republicans in the GOP do not like the Christian conservative wing of their party.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:38 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I don't really see Christian conservatism and limited government going together very well. If you look back to 2003, a large portion of self-described evangelicals strongly supported the Iraq war, and that has cost over a trillion dollars. And that's just one example. There's really nothing inherently "small government" or "limited government expenditures" about modern American Christian conservatism.

There may be cases where Christian conservatives support some policies that move in that direction, but then there are quite a few that go the opposite way.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:38 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,208,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Sure thing. "God will get you in the end. You'll see."
I think it would be really funny if you're met at the Pearly Gates by an angry multi-limbed Elephant God who wants to know if you've eaten any beef.

well one day we will both see for our self
let's see who is cocky then shall we??
I have a feeling it will not be you and I will be on my face in wonderment!

Old 08-04-2013, 04:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I don't really see Christian conservatism and limited government going together very well. If you look back to 2003, a large portion of self-described evangelicals strongly supported the Iraq war, and that has cost over a trillion dollars. And that's just one example. There's really nothing inherently "small government" or "limited government expenditures" about modern American Christian conservatism.

There may be cases where Christian conservatives support some policies that move in that direction, but then there are quite a few that go the opposite way.
Limited government is not no government. Most limited gov't advocates would agree that war is a proper function of government. The founders certainly did. We can argue whether the Iraq war in particular was a good idea; in retrospect I think most would agree that it wasn't. But it wasn't a question of limited vs. big government.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
They were called Christian Republicans. Isn't that what this thread is about?
The Radical Republicans were not known for their profession of Christianity. In fact, at first blush it would appear that the more radical a Republican was, the more likely he was to be a Unitarian or skeptic or something other than an orthodox Christian. John Brown is a notable exception; Thaddeus Stevens, Horace Greeley, Charles Sumner and the like either did not claim to be Christian at all or did not stress religion in their public careers.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,820,368 times
Some old laws and values held over from ancient times are great and wise...some are not- You can't discount everything in religion because you are an atheist? If religion has a good idea - you don't toss it aside- You use it.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Limited government is not no government. Most limited gov't advocates would agree that war is a proper function of government. The founders certainly did. We can argue whether the Iraq war in particular was a good idea; in retrospect I think most would agree that it wasn't. But it wasn't a question of limited vs. big government.
If Iraq was justified, there isn't any war that can't be; and constant war is in fact incompatible with limited government.

Old 08-05-2013, 05:25 PM

2,886 posts, read 4,107,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It would help if you would give more specifics. I think it's true that the religious right can get caught up in Comstockian crusades, but it's also true that they are amenable to reason & logic, whereas nannyist liberals are not.

I once debated a conservative Christian friend about the war on drugs. I pointed out that according to his own Bible, it is not the business of Christians to impose morality on the rest of us via coercion. Rather it is their business to lead us to Christ and voluntary acceptance of morality. He wound up agreeing with me.

Xenophobia? If that means not wanting to live under Sharia law, I am 100% with them. Hawkish foreign policy? Who knows what that even means? A lot of people would consider pres. Obama to be hawkish, and he is hardly Christian conservative.
Xenophobia as in
9500 LIBERTY Trailer - YouTube Hawkish foreign policy meaning supportive of continued american involment in the middle east. I am a dove when it come to foreign policy I would end all american involvement in the region and take a non interventionist policy with the world. yes I know that obama also has adopted the same foreign policy's but the far right continue to be the ones pushing for war with iran and syria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies