Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Bill O'Reilly brought up the issues with Black crime as a response to the massive amounts of disingenuous outrage over the George Zimmerman acquittal.
There is no reason to think that outrage over the acquittal of a guy who chased down and shot a black kid for "walking around, looking about" is "disingenuous". In fact, to dismiss it as such, is patently ridiculous.

Quote:
There's the "why" for you. With as much time as you spend discussing these issues, I don't know how could you begin to act as if you didn't know that. But maybe for you, it's just because you don't like the fact he has shined such a bright light on the dysfunction that goes on in Black communities?
He has displayed no such willingness, though. In fact, he has multiple people invite him to see what people are doing to end various problems, and he has refused every time. In other words, O'Reilly is willfully ignorant of what is going on in black communities right down the street from him, and thus has no space to speak.

Quote:
Frankly, people have gotten sick of the one sided discussion with regards to race, where Blacks and their allies control the terms of the debate.
So...you know nothing of basic US history? Really, read a book or two.

Quote:
The fact that Bill O'Reilly has been able to raise these points and make headlines with it will only make this issue more acceptable for public discourse. You should get used to seeing more people, even some politicians, discuss these issues.
Unlikely. O'Reilly s clearly uninterested in what is happening in black communities, and would much rather flail and rant in front of a camera for the enjoyment of older white people who greatly desire to think that black people are awful. And that is why Hayes decided to make a parody of people like him and Hannity - the two are far more interested in "white =good, black= bad" than in any sort of solution that we have put black people into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 05:27 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Ok, I actually watch O'Reilly and this is definitely not the case. He has NEVER said this a genetic black trait. Talk about malicious! He outlined several issues in black CULTURE that he feels contribute to issues in the black community.

The problem is that there are so many black people that don't want to hear that. They want to operate on the assumption that any rich white man that expresses any criticism of the black community does it out of racism.

Is it really impossible for you to believe that 1) I'm white 2) I think there are serious problems in the black community and 3) I'm not racist and actually ROOTING for your success?

Why do you think the Cosby Show was so wildly popular with white people back in the 80s? Because so many of us wanted to see a successful black family. We saw it as encouragement to other black people.

And I know, I know, many of you will say there is no such thing as a black "community". You are upper-middle class and for me to lump all blacks together is insulting. But you have to admit, there is a serious problem with inner-city black culture. Yes, there are white problems. We could go on about southern white poverty and white meth use, but the black prison population represents a very disturbing trend.

Why can't we all talk about this?
It is called denial. Perception is the truth for some and if one perceives there is no problem, then there is no problem. I have given up on this subject, because it is a constant argument. Around and around we go!

Old 08-08-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree

However, it's still funny reading these excuses and deflections.
You mean from black people?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, I believe you have it wrong. The problem is that many people, like myself, feel that Bill O'Reilly is merely someone who is trying to inflame more resentment towards Blacks. He isn't saying this stuff because he cares about Blacks. He's a shock jockey. I believe he is only saying that stuff because he's angry, and wants other people to be angry at Blacks. It is more like a "see, that guy is saying that, so it must be true that Black people are violent".
You know, while reading this thread I began to wonder how many blacks who are doing well for themselves, you know, "livin the dream" actually live among under class ghetto blacks, I would be willing to bet most live in a predominately white community, if so, why is that?

Old 08-08-2013, 06:14 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
You know, while reading this thread I began to wonder how many blacks who are doing well for themselves, you know, "livin the dream" actually live among under class ghetto blacks, I would be willing to bet most live in a predominately white community, if so, why is that?
You know, many of us who are middle class Blacks have tried talking sense into those who are part of the underclass. Some members of the underclass have mended their ways and have done better. Some, like a relative of mine, keeps going in and out of prison, using drugs, and going up to no good. Believe, there are quite a few Black people who have confronted this behavior, and have tried to talk some sense. It doesn't always work. What do Black people who have done well for themselves do about that? They do as Chris Rock talked about, they vote with their feet and try to get away from a toxic environment.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:16 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Well, there you have it. It's all about feelings. About the tone. Damn, the facts if they aren't presented in a sympathetic way. Your position is not unique, but rarely do I see someone be so honest about his motivation to control the discussion.
My point is that the only thing I sense from Bill O'Reilly is anger at the Black population. I don't believe he is saying this because he cares about what happens to Black people. I think he is only doing this for self-serving purposes. Considering who he works for and what he does, my only conclusion is this: He is working on behalf of the RWNJs. I don't want that.

And the tone, well, if we are going to have a discussion, there are better ways to about and and still discuss facts. Having a discussion about race is a hot button topic and there is still alot of anger on both sides. It is about WHY you present the facts. If the idea is about helping people, then I'm all for it. If it is about venting anger and frustration, then the only thing that does is alienate people.

And as for "one-sided", one could argue that Bill O'Reilly could be trying to make this one-sided and control this as well.

Last edited by green_mariner; 08-08-2013 at 06:29 AM..

Old 08-08-2013, 07:12 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The neighborhoods I've chosen to live in have been pretty diverse. I like diversity and don't want to be around any one race. Including all white people or all black people.

My sister lives in a predominately black middle class neighborhood. There's many nice middle class black neighborhoods where she lives. Historically there have been some very affluent and influential middle class black neighborhoods in this country.

I don't know what your getting at. Sounds kinda racist.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:19 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
My point is that the only thing I sense from Bill O'Reilly is anger at the Black population. I don't believe he is saying this because he cares about what happens to Black people. I think he is only doing this for self-serving purposes. Considering who he works for and what he does, my only conclusion is this: He is working on behalf of the RWNJs. I don't want that.

And the tone, well, if we are going to have a discussion, there are better ways to about and and still discuss facts. Having a discussion about race is a hot button topic and there is still alot of anger on both sides. It is about WHY you present the facts. If the idea is about helping people, then I'm all for it. If it is about venting anger and frustration, then the only thing that does is alienate people.

And as for "one-sided", one could argue that Bill O'Reilly could be trying to make this one-sided and control this as well.
I agree with you about O'Reilly. I think the comeback was pretty funny and also very clever. We have to stop some racist from spewing propaganda to attack certain races. We've seen it with blacks. We've seen it with Latinos. Have even seen it against Asians in the past.

All of the different cultures have contributed to America.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:58 AM

331 posts, read 253,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The neighborhoods I've chosen to live in have been pretty diverse. I like diversity and don't want to be around any one race. Including all white people or all black people.

My sister lives in a predominately black middle class neighborhood. There's many nice middle class black neighborhoods where she lives. Historically there have been some very affluent and influential middle class black neighborhoods in this country.

I don't know what your getting at. Sounds kinda racist.
Why is that racist? He's actually somewhat correct. Look up the residences for many of the successful black anchors you see on television. Or look up the residences of many black doctors, businessmen, graduate professors, etc. You'll find that the large majority of them do not live in predominantly black neighborhoods. Hell, the last time my family lived in a predominantly black neighborhood was when we had no money up in Oakland.

This is a problem I alluded in another thread. A lot of black people, like Don Lemon, who frown upon the current condition of a lot of AA communities, don't even live in those communities or make themselves available to people in those communities. It's the classic Uncle Phil syndrome.

I say all this not to blame those middle to upper class AA that move out. I don't fault them. The numbers of nice, well to do, mostly AA neighborhoods in America are relatively few.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:25 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,472,864 times
Actually it should be "How many upper to middle class black families do you see living in POOR neighborhoods" Not black ones.

Nobody is here saying " How many upper to middle class white families do you see living in poor white neighborhoods?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies