Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 08:39 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njclay2004 View Post
I think you have to look at the Historical Implications of the idea.

Sad to say, whites are taken to task for the sins of the vocal minority (Hah! See what I did there?). It's right up there with how blacks are generally assumed to be lazy, ignorant or dangerous by many because of the actions of a few.

Also, historically, a large number of black groups started because they weren't welcome anywhere else. Historically Black Colleges/Universities, Black Frat/Sororities. Latino organizations. A vast majority of these groups started because they had no other choices to fulfill the needs of their demographic. After awhile though, it just became a tradition that no one thinks is unusual.

I think Dr. King would have approved of these groups' initial formation, but I also believe that in order to become more 'color blind,' we need to put an end to these 'identity' groups. More importantly, we need to integrate with their so-called white counterparts. But in order for that to work, those white counterparts need to accept these minorities provided they meet the exact same requirements that everyone else must.
I agree. Thanks for saying this.

Old 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattOTAlex View Post
What's contemptible is a bigoted statement like that.

What's even more contemptible is an insinuation that somehow white people "owe" non-whites something, merely because such folks aren't white.
Ah, the bigot accuses his antagonist of...bigotry. A fine example of the Goebbels Twist, a tactic that often impresses superficial people.

So how strong are you? I see you here taking umbrage because the weak are granted some privileges, are you man enough to take on the privileges of the strong? Like those of the Mayflower People?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:02 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,972,661 times
Quote:
What's contemptible is a bigoted statement like that.

What's even more contemptible is an insinuation that somehow white people "owe" non-whites something, merely because such folks aren't white.

Perhaps those whiners should spend less time with their hands out and more time with their a$$es in gear; No one owes anyone jack. In this country, 99.999% of people have to make their own way, irrespective of color.
I agree with you, with the exception that a good foundational education is the best head start in making your own way and in poor neighborhoods this often is not the case. I think the educational system should be overhauled and bad behavior in schools from a very early age should be quickly corrected or the student should be expelled. Those who sincerely want to make their own way should be given every opportunity to do so. We should start by ensuring that teachers in poor schools are just as good as those from better neighborhoods. Maybe give teachers a help in paying their tuition loans for teaching in such places and give them a good, livable, salary.

You cannot treat young children miserably when they are in areas where drug dealers are king and expect these kids to have more get up and go than your on kids. You have to get them while they are young and show them that there is a way out.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:03 AM

121 posts, read 199,199 times
Way to post and run, OP.

Old 08-02-2013, 09:11 AM

560 posts, read 1,130,322 times
I'm over this thread. I just felt like I needed to just get that off my chest. Just let the little boy have his club. I cant imagine what they do anyway. But is 'White' a bad word now? Well a bad word by media reinterpretation?

Old 08-02-2013, 09:59 AM

632 posts, read 932,998 times
Quote:

Your post? #FAIL.
I thought I could have an intellectual convo, but people like you don't allow that. You want to allow a white student union because everyone else has one, yet you're the type to get mad when any minority group strives for equality in anything. How's that for hypocrisy!

So here's my new argument for you, life's not fair. Deal with it!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:03 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Actually I am in favor of double standards, they can be damned useful.

Political power grows from economic power and Blacks have little enough of that in this country. Much Black political power is granted to them by Whites, in order to hold the lid down. That's the way things work.
Riiiight.... That's the reason the most powerful man in America is.... What color again...!

Old 08-02-2013, 10:05 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,127,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Ah, the bigot accuses his antagonist of...bigotry. A fine example of the Goebbels Twist, a tactic that often impresses superficial people.

So how strong are you? I see you here taking umbrage because the weak are granted some privileges, are you man enough to take on the privileges of the strong? Like those of the Mayflower People?
I'm confused.... So your saying your a bigot since your accusing others of bigotry...

Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm confused.... So your saying your a bigot since your accusing others of bigotry...

Indeed. Liberal logic; or rather the lack thereof.

Old 08-02-2013, 01:01 PM

364 posts, read 560,220 times
Both people who need to attach "liberal" and "conservative" label to themselves in public forums are missing the point. Few things make one seem less intelligent than statements with attitudes like "damn liberals" or "those conservatives." Way to keep the infighting going everyone. That way, those in power can continue to divide and conquer us until the end of time. Bravo.

If I'm "white" and your skin is dark, you're "black." Get over it. It isn't offensive. If it is to you, boo hoo hoo. I do not go through the laborious unnecessary trouble to list myself as "40% German, 30% English, 10% Irish, 10% Romanian, 9% French, 1% other"-American, so calling yourself "African-American" when no one in your family tree has been to Africa since the early 19th century or earlier is just as unnecessary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies