Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 03:25 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,926,044 times

Advertisements

Google 'Pressure Cookers' and 'Backpacks,' Get a Visit from the Cops - Philip Bump - The Atlantic Wire

Quote:
[T]hey were peppering my husband with questions. Where is he from? Where are his parents from? They asked about me, where was I, where do I work, where do my parents live. Do you have any bombs, they asked. Do you own a pressure cooker? My husband said no, but we have a rice cooker. Can you make a bomb with that? My husband said no, my wife uses it to make quinoa. What the hell is quinoa, they asked. ...

Have you ever looked up how to make a pressure cooker bomb? My husband, ever the oppositional kind, asked them if they themselves weren’t curious as to how a pressure cooker bomb works, if they ever looked it up. Two of them admitted they did.
I bet they feel so much safer now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 03:37 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Default Fed terrorism taskforce visits home because they googled backk pack and pressuure cooker

wow.......

Google Pressure Cookers and Backpacks, Get a Visit from the Feds

Old 08-01-2013, 03:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Goodbye sweet America.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Coincidence..total coincidence.

Google told us they don't give anything to the government without a warrant.
The NSA said they aren't look at any of the data they collect.

Well the slogan now ....

Big Brother is not only watching you but reading everything you do.

So they can find the one couple that google pressure cookers but lost track of 1 million foreigners ?

And better yet..the FBI said it was the local police and the local police said it was the FBI and DHS ain't answering the phone.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Nothing to do with 'googling'. The visit was from Nassau County Police Department not from the FBI. Something made authorities suspicious but no evidence it was from monitoring their online searches.

Google ‘pressure cooker,’ get a police visit? Maybe not.

"But after reading the questions Catalano says investigators asked her husband, it’s clear that they could come from information that is not Catalano’s search history — say, an anonymous tip from a jumpy neighbor. (Maybe someone who noted this Facebook picture on her Facebook page.) "
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=6143321
"I knew Michele a long time ago when she blogged regularly about politics on A Small Victory (asmallvictory.net). Back then she was very sensationalistic, and would go out of her way to artificially inflate or dramatize stories. I'm not surprised she drew the conclusion that the visit was due to Google searches; I also wouldn't be surprised if she intentionally inflated the story, she has always had a talent for getting attention.
Also worth noting. She was a pretty loud blogger post 9/11 and during the Iraq invasion. She ran a very popular Iraq invasion blog, lauded for updating about the invasion faster than the mainstream media. It would not surprise me in the least if the Feds have her on some list or another (not saying that's ok mind you). The Washington Post article about this talks about whether she'd be on a watch list, and Michele talks about searching for how to cook lentils and ending up on a watch list ("This is where we are at," Catalono wrote. "Where you have no expectation of privacy. Where trying to learn how to cook some lentils could possibly land you on a watch list."). That part is Michele knowing exactly how to craft a sound bite for media consumption. I suspect this story is demonstrating a real abuse by the terrorism obsessed police / feds, and the rest is Michele throwing fuel on the fire for the headlines."

Last edited by katzpaw; 08-01-2013 at 04:06 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Nothing to do with 'googling'. The visit was from Nassau County Police Department not from the FBI. Something made authorities suspicious but no evidence it was from monitoring their online activity.

Google ‘pressure cooker,’ get a police visit? Maybe not.
Even your article doesn't confirm it was the local police. They would not comment.
The other article has a police comment.

From an update to the OP link:
Detective Garcia of the Nassau County Police, however, told The Atlantic Wire by phone that his department was "not involved in any way."

Old 08-01-2013, 04:04 PM

Well when the men in black come to my house I'm going to ask for ID and make a copy of it.
Then when I tell my story to the press you'll all know which agency came a-knocking.
Because all these alphabet agencies are doing nothing but pointing at each other and denying they did it.

Where have we heard that before ?

Because I got curious as well as to how the heck you turn a pressure cooker into a bomb as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:07 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
I'm probably on someone's list, I have my mom's old pressure cooker that I use to make ham n bean soups and make tough pork into pork pull for bbq sandwiches. I was looking for a new gasket for it, which is probably about 40 years old.

Mirro M-0394 Pressure Cooker Parts - Pressure Cooker Outlet

If that someone shows up on my doorstep, I hope they like ham n bean soup.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I'm probably on someone's list, I have my mom's old pressure cooker that I use to make ham n bean soups and make tough pork into pork pull for bbq sandwiches. I was looking for a new gasket for it, which is probably about 40 years old.

Mirro M-0394 Pressure Cooker Parts - Pressure Cooker Outlet

If that someone shows up on my doorstep, I hope they like ham n bean soup.
Make a photocopy of their ID so you know who came.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:12 PM

Oh Lord..I'm on the "fertilizer list" and I did google how they turned a pressure cooker into a bomb after the story came out.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies